It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Liverpool FC Thread

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
All the morning papers yet again are spouting that Liverpool are set to lose the services of Xabi Alonso and Mascherano. Apparently Alonso wants to leave because Rafa was willing to use him in a part money/part player deal for Gareth Barry, and his ego has been hurt. Mascherano wants to leave because Barcelona have apparently made an approach to his manager and he has gone on record as saying he would like to move there. Rafa is set to fine him for stepping out of line and broadcasting his views but whats the point of that? Why have a player in your squad who doesn't want to be there? He's not going to give his all for the club. . .
For Liverpool, I'm afraid it's going to be a case of two steps forward and one step back.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Mintwithahole.

The Argentina international's agent was yesterday quoted as saying our No.20 would be prepared to talk to newly crowned European champions Barcelona.

However, Benitez is adamant Mascherano is not for sale at any price and insisted the 25-year-old is happy to stay at Anfield.

"Mascherano has no price," said the Liverpool boss.

"Barcelona could not afford to match his value to Liverpool Football Club.

"We do not want to sell and Javier is very happy here.

"I have spoken to Javier two or three times this summer – the last time was only last week – and he was very happy, very positive.

source

Just an agent stirring things up, and the papers making a mountain out of a molehill.

Same with Xabi.

When there is something to REALLY know, it will be on the official website or in the Echo.

Until then it's all lazy journalism - like the re-hashed story about Xabi which is from LAST year.

It seems that some fans aren't happy unless there's a manufactured crisis...

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Masherano has been fined by the club for speaking out of turn and Rafa has spoken to his agent and told him that he's going nowhere. I liked the back handed swipe at Man Utd when Rafa said that Barcelona couldn't afford to buy him. Nice one. As for Liverpools official website. . . It has been known to be very slow in reporting the signing of new players. For instance, when Anelka signed for us Sky news reported it at least half an hour before it was on the site.I believe a similar problem happened with the signing of Pepe Reina.
Any idea who we're going to sign this summer? I've heard Rafa is looking at an Argentinian attacker who's name escapes me at the moment as well as Silva. have you heard anything?

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   

I haven't heard a thing about Masch being fined - and it would be strange if he were, as he didn't speak, his agent did and was basically stirring the pot.

We are being linked with all kinds of players, including some south americans.

The player I would most like to see (apart from Silva) is Martinez but, as ever, no-one really knows anything and the stories are old ones which are being re-hashed.

Many of the forums have resident "in the know" posters who have built reputations over the years by getting things spot on, but even from these guys it is admitted speculation.

As ever, Rafa is keeping his cards close to his chest and my feeling is that we will know very little until he makes a real move.

On the good news front, the greasy one is off to Madrid and that will significantly weaken Man ure simply because he is irreplaceable and worth 12-15 points a season for them.

No other winger they could buy will get them 20+ goals a season, and leaks from spain suggest they may be after Vidic as well...

Best thing is to wait and see who comes in.

The official site isn't slow, it's just they have agreement to release news at a certain time - whereas people at other clubs are under no constraints regarding leaks to the press.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Torres for
Man Utd

I cant honestly see Liverpool letting Torres go especially to Man Utd. Is Liverpool broke do they need the money? Gillette wont last the year if he does.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DiscoDave

Torres for
Man Utd

I cant honestly see Liverpool letting Torres go especially to Man Utd. Is Liverpool broke do they need the money? Gillette wont last the year if he does.

The latest in todays papers is that Barcelona are willing to do a swap deal which would see Eto' coming to Liverpool and Mascherano going to Barca. However, Rafa has put a report on Liverpool's official website which catagorically states that neither Alonso or Mascherano are for sale.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mintwithahole.
The latest in todays papers is that Barcelona are willing to do a swap deal which would see Eto' coming to Liverpool and Mascherano going to Barca. However, Rafa has put a report on Liverpool's official website which catagorically states that neither Alonso or Mascherano are for sale.

Eto' is an excellent striker hes got atleast 20 goals a season in him, if you could get him and keep Mascherano and Torres I think Liverpool are a good bet for the title. If only Liverpool had Man City' cash you'd be dominating Man Utd by now.

Aston Villa messed it up not selling Barry to you or you could have swapped Mascherano for Eto. I like Villa but their going nowhere and they should of released Barry hes been there since he was a lad, he had every right to go to Liverpool.:bnghd:

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
wow eto at liverpool???

that is crazy... i think the usa gimps are going to sell up soon to the dubi group myself

Tho i dont care who owns liverpool "i would rarther the fans did" but as long as our team plays well im happy

we did great this season King torres and Mr stevie G

wish we had more sammys tho hes a legend

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by symmetricAvenger

Some say that if we had eleven Carraghers on the pitch there'd be no stopping us. We'll certainly miss Hypia but he Isn't irreplaceable is he? Surely Rafa will find another legend to step into his shoes.
The problem at Liverpool at the moment is that all the players that Rafa wants to move out of Anfield are on long contracts and don't want to go. The latest was Babbal. Rafa could expect to get about £10 million for him which would help fund the buying of Silva but he's refusing to go.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I've seen some trick shots done by snooker players, pool players, golfers and even footballers but this takes the biscuit.

www.youtube.com...

Just shows what class Steven Gerrard really is.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
For any of those interested...the Home Secretary has indicated that he'll release the Hillsborough soon and ahead of the petition being received...

Home Secretary Alan Johnson's Hillsborough documents release vow

Liverpool FC Hillsborough march in London to attract 5,000 walkers

I wonder where a certain member might be at this time....

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Silly season is getting really silly.

SkyBet have cut the odds on Ribery joining us from 66/1 to 8/13

Other bookies have followed suit.

Sky transfer centre is reporting (at 7.02) that we are favourites to sign him.

Are we the "un named" club that had a bid turned down last week?

Let's not forget that SkyBet are the same bookies who suspended betting on Rafa getting sacked before the Madrdid game last season, only for it to turn out that Rick Parry was the one who "resigned"

Frankly I'd be amazed if we got Ribery

Unless of course the mystery "Arab" buyer who was set to buy 60% of a "big EPL club" only for it to be vehemently denied turned out to be us

Dontcha just love transfer window

lazy journo's

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

The silly season started with £18m for Glen Johnson.
He is a good player, is improving and has a bright future, but £18m for a right back.
The mind boggles.
Even Benitez said he know's he paid over the odds??
Then why pay it??

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Quota's for Europe, the lack of quality english players at reasonable prices etc etc

On the other side of the coin, Man U paid 18 mil for Nani and Anderson both, not to mention "sicknote" Hargreaves and carrick.

I think he's going to be a very good player for us - but we'll have to wait and see on that.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Yesterday the odds for Ribery joining Liverpool dropped to such levels that Talk Sport were talking about him being our next big summer buy. In todays papers Rafa has come out and stated that he doesn't need Ribery as he already has a championship winning side. So he's relying soley on Glenn Johnson!!?
Doesn't sound good does it? Seems to me that Benitez is far too busy trying to retain Alonso and Mascherano to look for other players to strengthen the squad.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

It might be an idea to read what he actually said.

At no point did he say he wasn't buying anyone else - he just ruled out signing anyone for silly money:

"I will be really pleased if we can keep this squad together because I don't think we need to do too many things," said Benitez.

"I don't think we'll be signing anyone else for big, big money, just maybe the ones who can fit into our team.

"Right now we are just thinking of improving the fitness of the players, not thinking about the transfer market.

source

See the difference?

I expect another couple of signings at least.

One squad player and one marquee signing IF Rafa thinks we need it.

As usual, he's keeping his cards close to his chest.

I also think the whole masch and Alonso thing is just media generated bullplop - they keep re-hashing the same stories, some of them from last freaking year

Like I said, when it appears on the official site (like Alonso and Masch both saying they want to stay a couple of months ago) I'll believe it, but not before.

Example:
This story appeared today.

It started as a joke on this LFC forum and a lazy journo or his researcher decided to run with it instead of checking facts.

Bottom line, believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see.
That goes for RL as well as the media...

RAWK Thread here

[edit on 11/7/2009 by budski]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Hey guys, just to let you know if you have not seen it yet or doing another one, but trying to get a BTS fantasy football league going. If anybody is interested just go to fantasy.premierleague.com... and enter the code 103101-29557 after you have signed up.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

[edit on 11-7-2009 by pazcat]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

But the only good players go for silly money! If you want to strengthen the squad with quality players you have to pay silly money! I ask you, is Glenn Johnson worth what Liverpool paid for him? Of course not. . . But because he's British he's price goes through the ceiling.
As for the rumours surrounding Masherano and Alonso. . . Take it from me, Liverpool will not start the season with those players in our side. We will lose one or the other but the chances of us keeping both are virtually non existent.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Not strictly true - Alonso was cheap when we bought him.

It's a question of scouting players who have the right attitude and who fit the system - not buying players and tailoring the system to them.

No offense, but why should anyone take your word for it that Alonso or Masch will go?
Rafa has said they are not for sale, and he has put very high prices on them, which is why Madrid are now in talks with Gaetano D'Agostino.

Until the club make an official announcement they are staying as far as I'm concerned.

Anfield chinese whispers are not official

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
www.tribalfootball.com...

Liverpool boss Benitez laughs off Ribery link 11.07.09 | tribalfootball.com Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has laughed off reports he's moving for Bayern Munich star Franck Ribery. Bookies slashed the odds on 26-year-old French midfielder Ribery swapping Bayern Munich for Merseyside after a run of bets. But Benitez said: "I will be really pleased if we can keep this squad together because I don't think we need to do too many things. "I don't think we'll be signing anyone else for big, big money, just maybe the ones who can fit into our team. "Right now we are just thinking of improving the fitness of the players, not thinking about the transfer market. We have the quality there and we will have our chances again."

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join