It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Liverpool FC Thread

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I'm still thinking back to last year and those 13 draws - last year the way our luck went we wouldn't have got the win.

We need to improve against the other top teams, but we're pretty close and need to kick into bigger spells of stage 3 football, the only thing that really separates us from man u and chelski at the moment.

Once we get our players back from the olympics, we should be able to progress into greater spells of stage 3 footy.

I'm not sure who all these magical utd players are - the only 2 missing are tevez and ronaldo, and it remains to be seen if he is as effective this season - utd aren't the same team without him, as proven by todays 1-1 draw with newcastle, a team they should roll over quite comfortably.

The longer they are without ronaldo, the more games they will struggle to win when teams just try to shut up shop.

Chelski are a good side, but scolari is unproven in this league and is seen more as an international manager than a club one, and some of his players are going to struggle in his systems until they get used to them - scolari may even struggle to come to terms with the rigours of the PL, but we'll see.

They certainly have the tools to win the league, but it's how the tools are used, and when that's important.

All in all, I think a good season for liverpool would be to finish closer to the top on points, and win one of the cups, simply because we probably won't spend enough time playing stage 3 football to win consistently in the big games.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Tonights the night.

I won't say our season depends on this match, but it could have a long term effect if we go out without even getting to the group stages.

A long term effect worth tens of millions in prize money and merchandising.

I think we are the beter side, but we need to show this and assert ourselves on the game from the early stages.

No doubt the lads will be up for this, but that may not be enough.

Play as we can and we'll win.

Play as we did a fornight ago and we might be in trouble.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Hey Bud,

Another iffy display?

I accept that nothing is won in August or Sepember, but a lot can be lost!

Still, Liverpool are winning, and winning ugly, something that the best teams achieve when necessary.
How many times have Man Utd or Chelsea not played well but scraped a victory, frequently scoring in the last few minutes of time, (sure the Mancs have a 'next goal the winner' agreement with some ref's!) lol.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Liverpool Team Statistics Standard Liege
1 Goals 0
0 1st Half Goals 0
5 Shots on Target 3
14 Shots off Target 5
6 Blocked Shots 2
6 Corners 6
14 Fouls 22
2 Offsides 3
0 Yellow Cards 3
0 Red Cards 0
81.6 Passing Success 61.9
38 Tackles 37
71.1 Tackles Success 78.4
71.7 Possession 28.3
57 Territorial Advantage 43

We've had much better stats in all our games this season than the opposition so far, with the bulk of the possession and more shots on goal.

I watched the game on saturday as well, and whilst it was true we laboured a bit at times, we were still much the better side.

At the moment I'll accept scrappy wins as part of starting slowly - but we're gonna have to improve if we want to challenge for top honours, then again, so do man u.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Winning ugly is all a part of it I guess, and boy was last night ugly.

Most of the pieces are there, but they aren't gelling together right yet. It was obvious that Stevie G was playing with an injury the past couple of games, and not having Mascherano showed as well.

Will be interested to see if they sign this left sided midfielder in the next few days - although I thought that was what we bought Babel for?

I'm also suprised that they didn't try and pick up SWP from Chelski - although I wonder if there was a "no top four" clause for his sale.....can't help but think he'll be wasted at City again.

Ah well. Time will tell. The difference between this year and last I think is that we would have drawn the games we've played.

Big test this weekend though

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
0-0 against the Villa.

Joint top, the pundits are already saying silly things and the transfer window closes at midnight Monday. Are we going to get a sneaky signing in?

[edit on 31/0808/08 by neformore]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Only riera as far as I know - no concrete rumours about anyone else.

Thought we did OK today against a strong villa side who were really up for it.

And that was definitely a pen.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Hi all. I think the only serious challengers to the mighty reds in the league this year are Chelski. I honestly believe Man Utd will fall away and Ronaldo wont last the season before he leaves for Real.Even a chance that Rooney could be sold. He's not the player he was for Everton. Arsenal haven't invested. One injury and its over for them but Chelski. . .
Come on, lets all get behind the Rafalution!

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Mintwithahole.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Ropey starts and winning ugly, with the press writing us off within three hours of the new season starting, a poor Champions League qualifier....

Sounds about right for LFC to me
We don't do anything easily these days

Its going to be a hell of a season!

Welcome to the thread, fellow redman

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Down with the Reds...

The Gunners play ball much better than they do - not too mention, just how often does a team really need to play the long ball..?

And, the Red's spend way too much trying to buy a trophy...and that doesn't even work. But hey, you gotta start somewhere, right?

Let the hate begin...

[edit on 9/11/2008 by chapter29]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by chapter29

And arsenal have how many titles and ueropean cups?

tut

this isn't a trash talk thread mate.

this is for LFC fans and for those who wish to discuss properly, without too much trash talk.

I have a good feeling about saturdays match

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Oi!

You nicked my avatar!!!!

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

No I didn't, I got it off TIA or RAWK

Can't remember which

Anyway, the more, the merrier.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   
i got a new song

we used to sing "are you city in disguise?"

when we win tomorrow we can sing to the city fans "are you united in disguise?"

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Well they nicked it off me in the first place then!

But aye. The more the merrier

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Big one tomorrow - got a new shirt for the occasion

Got me brother (united fan) coming down for the match, so plently of banter.

I think just one goal will win - just hope it's us that gets it this time.

Man U = spawny gits at anfield the last couple of years.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Torres and Gerrard both passed fit to play tomorrow. I hope they aren't being rushed back for this game because last I heard they were both out for weeks. I'm nervous about the match. Will be watching it with my brother-in-law and he's a Manc.

We just seem to have a mental block when it comes to these games.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I'm mega-impressed

Not many teams can come back from being behind to United, and that was without Torres and Gerrad on from the start.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
A great win, as shown by the stats:
Liverpool Team Statistics Manchester United
2 Goals 1
1 1st Half Goals 1
7 Shots on Target 2
8 Shots off Target 3
7 Blocked Shots 3
5 Corners 4
10 Fouls 18
1 Offsides 4
0 Yellow Cards 2
0 Red Cards 1
76 Passing Success 69.6
25 Tackles 18
80 Tackles Success 77.8
53.9 Possession 46.1
51.3 Territorial Advantage 48.7

I'll try and post these when they become available after every match, if people are interested.

Bit of an anti climax for tonight - I usually get right up for these games, but I'm still a little in dreamland after saturdays result.

In theory, it should be a comfortable (ish) win for us, especially if nando and gerrard are back.
I'd also like to see riera play tonight - he had a good game against man u once he settled down.

Babel for impact again after 65 or so, kuyt back on the right and benny onion on the bench for impact if needed.

I'm expecting a loose 442, becoming a 4312 with gerrard roaming in attack, and keane dropping deep.

I hope keane gets his first goal soon - don't want it to become a burden like it did with crouch

half hour or so til kick off, then we'll see of we have any hangover from saturday

A good performance and a win by 2 goals is what I'm looking for

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join