It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you know how to Pray? (Christians)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The Bible tells us in Matthew 6:9-13, not only the Bible but Jesus himself says that this is the prayer you should pray.

Our Father
Who art in Heaven
Hallowèd be Thy name
Thy kingdom come
Thy will be done
On earth, as it is in Heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those who trespass against us
And lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil
For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever and ever.
Amen

This is the prayer I was taught during my youth during many years in Catholic parochial school. After converting from the Catholic faith I hardly ever prayed the Lord's Prayer and usually just make up my own speaking from my heart. However Jesus himself tells us to pray the Lord's Prayer.

Obviously it's important for us to follow Jesus' direction so this prayer is coming back into my prayer life.

How do you pray?

[edit on 12/21/2006 by kinglizard]

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 01:10 PM
link   
When Jesus said the Lord's Prayer, he used it as an example of a prayer from the heart and said we shouldn't just recite ritual memorized prayers. Yet that's what the Lord's Prayer has become.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   
The Lord's prayer is a specific prayer that covers everything Jesus says to pray for. I can't help but believe we should pray the prayer he has given us. I can also see that some could argue it's just supposed to be a pattern so I guess you could use different words to say the same thing, every time using different words to say that God is Holy, acknowledging his spiritual rein, Gods purpose will be done, God will provide and so on.

btw- I wouldn't' mind reading where it says we shouldn't recite "ritual memorized prayers". Where can I find it in the Bible? The previous verse says "And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him". So it must be somewhere else in the Bible?

Edit: don't get me wrong here. I believe you need to have a personal relationship with God through prayer, that relationship needs to come from the heart and personalized prayer. But for me the Lord's prayer is going to make it back to my prayer life.

[edit on 12/21/2006 by kinglizard]

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I pray both ways. Do I have to make a choice?

Also, when I pray the Lord's prayer I am not just saying the words, but understanding and meaning them. For instance, "Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us." I am fully aware of the mercy Jesus has shown me, and also am aware that I have not always shown mercy to those who do me wrong. Time to reflect on that one, yes?

During the day, at many different times I am also praying. Thank you Lord. Whoops, sorry about that Lord. That sunset is awesome. What is more beautiful than new life? Please guide me Lord, to the right choice for Thy Will and my good.

There are also prayers that others have made and are printed. If the prayer says what I want to say, why can't I pray it from my heart?

So, why can't we pray both ways?

Mahree

[edit on 12/21/2006 by Mahree]

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mahree
So, why can't we pray both ways.

My take is that you can and should.

btw- I remember creating your avatar when I first started with Photoshop, mind if I correct some things and send you a new one?

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
btw- I wouldn't' mind reading where it says we shouldn't recite "ritual memorized prayers". Where can I find it in the Bible? The previous verse says "And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him". So it must be somewhere else in the Bible?

I think that's probably the phrase I was thinking of. In the King James Version it says this:

Matthew 6:7

7But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

So it doesn't say exactly what I said, but that's how I took the phrase. Not to mean that reciting the Lord's Prayer is bad, just you shouldn't only use such things in a mindless ritual and think you'll be saved.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Not to mean that reciting the Lord's Prayer is bad, just you shouldn't only use such things in a mindless ritual and think you'll be saved.

No, No, we believe you can only find salvation through Christ.

Anyway thanks for expressing your opinions here. Good food for thought.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
You don't need to speak to pray, you can speak with your mind aswell.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
The Lord's prayer is a template. The disciples asked Jesus how to pray, and His reply was what has come to be known as the Lord's prayer. You have the first part:

Our father who is in heaven, hallowed be your name.

We are to open our prayers in reverence. As David said in Psalm 100:4:

Enter his gates with thanksgiving
and his courts with praise;
give thanks to him and praise his name.

We come into His presence acknowledging who He is, how great is our God! Not only does this allow us access into His courts, but it puts our minds right as we come to Him. When we talk about how great He is, how holy, how amazing, we realize who is in charge. So many times people see God as a vending machine. Insert prayer for chips. It is we who are here to do His will, not the other way around!.

Your kingdom come, your will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven

This has many implications. Again, we are here to do His will, not the other way around. We are asking Him to come to earth, Revelation style here, for one. At the same time, we are to be asking for His will to be done in our lives, as it will be in Heaven. We are surrendering to Him. We have just acknowledged Him as king, and now are bowing to His will. Finally, we are also petitioning His will in the nations of the world, that He place leaders and cause nations to move in ways according to His will.

Give us this day our daily bread

This is where we petition Him. Just like the Jews in the desert had to take the time to gather manna in the morning, so, too, must we in the form of prayer. This contains within it a reminder that we must continually come to God in prayer. It shouldn't be a Sunday morning only thing. We are asking Him to get us through the day. We can ask for things, but, of course, we have just surrendered to His will, so if it is not His will to answer our requests, we must accept that.

Forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those who trespass against us

So often people miss the implication of this statement. We are asking God to forgive us as we forgive others! Do you hold a grudge, are you angry with someone, have you not forgiven them for something? Think about this. What are you asking God to do?

At this point in prayer, I often will ask that any sins I need to repent of be made known to me and wait in silence for a little bit. He is always faithful to provide, and sadly always has something to provide. I also ask Him to take anger and bitterness from me, to help me to forgive those who have wronged me when I can't seem to let go.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil

This isn't to say that God leads us into temptation. Instead, we are asking for protection from it. Statements like, "Lord, give me the strength to ..." or "Lord, I am so weak when [x] happens, please, give me the strength and will to resist the temptation when it arises". This is another time to petition Him for strength in action. It comes right after asking for forgiveness because this is where we must repent. We do not simply ask for forgiveness while planning our next sin. We must ask for forgiveness, and then deliverance and strength never to commit that sin. God knows our hearts; you cannot lie to Him and you cannot fast talk Him into believing you're serious about repentance when you're not. As InSaneTK mentioned, you don't have to speak to pray; He knows your thoughts.

For Yours is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever and ever.

We close the prayer reacknowledging His sovereignty. This world is His, He is where the power to overcome what we may see as impossible comes from, and all the glory must be redirected to Him, always.

Amen
That is, let it be so. Amen denotes that we are in agreement with the prayer just prayed.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
You have a very beautiful and spiritually efficacious understanding of the Bible and the LORD's prayer Jake. I personally thank you for sharing your understanding with us.

Kindest Regards

[edit on 21-12-2006 by lucum per lucerna]

Mod Edit: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 21/12/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
When I say the Lord's Prayer I think about every line and the meaning behind it. I remember as a youth and not completely understanding it's full meaning. When I grew into a young adult the teachings of the school really concentrated on the depth of the prayer. It has a special place in my heart as does signing the cross which is something else I still do. I regard it as an opening and closing, confession of faith, protection against evil and respect to Jesus/God/Holy Spirit. I know these things are mostly Catholic practices but even after my conversion these things are still with me.

Anyway I think we should all say the Lord's Prayer as Jesus expressed it.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Speaking of Prayer do you guys and gals pray for guidance before you read the Bible?

I pray that God helps me understand his word and that he leads me in my study amongst other things.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Our, Us, Our, Us, Our, We, Those, Us, Us, Us - Not one single I.

That's a good point Kinglizard, praying for guidance.

I sometimes use music and make my walks and dances all prayers.

Picturing evey footprint going into the earth with gratitude and requests for guidance and mercy. Like a big trail of dancing prayer feet.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Kin Lizard, I am a traditional roman catholic and we say the our father many times on sunday. Its the five main parts of the rosary, the hail mary which is biblical, each decade starts with our father. its also contained in the latin missal as a prayer.

I think Jesus taught them how to pray because they were so humble and very little people, not full of themselves and needed to be taught how to pray or what to say. This prayer has become the most popular prayer ever.

I feel the same way and can't always formulate prayers.

In one case, sister Cosolata, a little nun who offered herself as a victim to God said to Jesus.

" Jesus I do not know how to pray "

Jesus said to her that he desires "love" and "silence" when she was in adoration to any formulated prayers.

Its like animals. They communicate without words, they love there own without saying words. Gods spirit is in animals, thats why he wanted love and silence.

peace.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I think it is alright to pray both ways, there is nothing wrong with praying a prayer that is repetitive, even Jesus did this:

Mark 14
32They went to a place called Gethsemane, and Jesus said to his disciples, "Sit here while I pray." 33He took Peter, James and John along with him, and he began to be deeply distressed and troubled. 34"My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death," he said to them. "Stay here and keep watch."

35Going a little farther, he fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him. 36"Abba,[e] Father," he said, "everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will."

37Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. "Simon," he said to Peter, "are you asleep? Could you not keep watch for one hour? 38Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak."

39Once more he went away and prayed the same thing. 40When he came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy. They did not know what to say to him.

41Returning the third time, he said to them, "Are you still sleeping and resting? Enough! The hour has come. Look, the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. 42Rise! Let us go! Here comes my betrayer!"

Jesus was praying a repetitive prayer here, so I don't think there is anything wrong with doing it.

[edit on 22-12-2006 by thehumbleone]

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 10:13 PM
link   
We should recite Jesus's pray more than we do sometimes. But the bible does says its bad to just recite without meaning.

Pray time is to talk to god, to feel the spirit in you, and to let god do his work in you.

Pray time is a time for a personal relationship with god, as such there is no set rule for it, besides what jesus said.

The bible tells us to bring all things to the table with god in prayer.

pray time, is simply a time to talk to god.Talk to him about everthing to have problems with, everthing you love. You talk to him about whats in your heart, and the problems you are faceing in the world today.

I peronal SOMETIMES start pray with jesus's pray. But I really start to pray by thanking God for anything praise worth of him ( thank you for your forgivness, your love, your will, anything that your spirit wants to thank) I do this to show respect, god should always be thank for his love first.( Bible says God's is love)

second I ask forgiveiness of my sins. For how can you ask things from God if you still have sins not forgiven. (respect to god)

Then I ask god for the things I want, and talk to him on whats on my mine and spirit. And how can I just ask for what I want and just go to converation with him, if one I did give him praise, or ask forgivness first.

God is a person, and he his your creator. When you pray through the power of Jesus. Your talking to God, your at his feet, he hears your words. So do so talking with God with meaning and not just repition. Some people if not must recite with meaning God does not hear those words. If you want god to listen do so withing his spirit in you fully.

new topics

top topics

join