It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tottenham: Davies devastated by Wales defeat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:09 AM
link   
A devastated Simon Davies struggled to hide his disappointment on his return to Spurs from international duty, after a disastrous Wales defeat.

The 2-0 Old Trafford loss against England was followed up with a 3-1 defeat against Poland at the Millennium Stadium that leaves the managerless Welsh second from bottom of the group, a full eight points behind England and seven adrift of the Poles in second.

"That's basically it now unless we win all of our games and have the luck go our way, which is very unlikely," a despondent Davies told the club website.

"It's so early on as well, we've hardly given ourselves a chance. We shot ourselves in the foot with the draws against Azerbaijan and Northern Ireland.

"If we'd have managed four or six points from those games it would have taken the pressure off the England games and to a certain extent Poland.

"We were desperate to do well against England but didn't perform at all although it was difficult circumstances with Andy Meville getting injured in the warm-up and having to change things so late.

"We all expected to get right into England's faces and it to be a proper game.

"But everything was so frantic after Andy's injury, we were trying to sort our marking and all that sort of stuff and that perhaps threw us a bit and the early goal killed us. We were chasing the game from there.

"The frustrating thing is that against Poland for an hour it was probably the best we'd played for a long time.

"But as soon as we scored we sat back and got punished. I don't know what it is with us, perhaps it's a mental thing and we don't believe in ourselves enough.

"We know we're out of it and it's so disappointing.

"I don't think we'll have a group of players like we've had for the last four or five years for a while again. But we have to move on I suppose."

Team Talk

Poor Simon! We stuffed the Welsh!!!!

join