It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tottenham: Robinson Spurred on by club form

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Paul Robinson believes he is reaping the benefit of his summer move to Tottenham after a season of misery at Leeds.

Robinson had been at Elland Road for a decade and had to ensure the disappointment of being relegated from the Premiership and the club having to sell off their prized assets because of their crippling financial position.

It was hardly good for his confidence and, although he was a regular member of Sven-Goran Eriksson's squad, forcing his way into the side looked a remote possibility.

But Robinson believes he is playing "as well as I have for a long time" after switching to White Hart Lane and playing behind a mean defence which has leaked only three goals in eight league games.

David James' error in last month's 2-2 draw in Austria opened the gateway for Eriksson to hand Robinson his first competitive start in the win four days later over Poland in a World Cup qualifier.

Robinson, who is poised to face Wales at Old Trafford on Saturday, admitted: "I had been at Leeds a long, long time, since I was 14.

"I had seen the same faces day in and day out and the move to Tottenham was just like a breath of fresh air for me.

"People say the grass is not always greener on the other side but maybe it was for me. Maybe it was the right time to move.

"I don't know whether a lot has changed in my game. I think it is a lot to do with confidence. When I was at Leeds things were not going right for us.

"When a goalkeeper is having goals put past him every week it does not do your confidence any good and it does not look good on you.

"But the move has given me a new challenge, given me new people to impress and I think it is just that little push and step up that I needed.

"I am playing as well as I have done for a long time at the moment. It helps playing in the Tottenham team which is doing well as well."

Robinson will celebrate his 25th birthday next week - a young age by past standards for someone to be challenging for the England number one slot.

But he insisted: "I think you can only take it on current form. I am 25 next week and a lot of people say that is particularly young.

"But you look at what Wayne Rooney has done and other players. If you are playing well, it does not matter what age you are. You should be given the chance.

"Some people do say 'keepers don't mature until 27 to 30. Hopefully that is true and I have got more to come."

Englands best at the moment in my opinion.

TRD

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Great signing by Spurs...grrrrrr

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Now he has slimmed down, he's looking the dogs again!

TRD

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Yep, i hope Sven play's him instead of James....

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Looks like he's the number one now.

TRD

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Yep and if he keeps up the good form he will be there a long while....

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Still think James should be in the squad for his experiance, but Robinson and Kirkland (if fit) should fight it out for the jersey.

top topics

join