It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manchester United: Man U Will Be Back To Their Best Now

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
After signing Rooney it's opnly a matter of time before the playing squad is back to the frorm of the reign they had in the nineties. As soon as Keane, Heinze, Ferdinand, Nistelroy are fit, couple with Smith (fantastic signing) and Rooney, with Saha as back up, they really will be the best.

Everyone is dissing the midfield, but in my opinion if Ferguson keeps training Richardson, Fletcher and Djemba Djemba, then with Ronaldo, they too will be the thing of other teams nightmares: each one of them has amazing potential, and Fergie is just the man to bring that potential to the forefront and utilize it.

The only single player I have big doubts about, and who I think should have been sold long ago, and still should, is FORTUNE. What a crock of #. I love Man U, and to be honest he really doesn't deserve to step in Old Trafford, never mind play. Anyone agree? He's awful!!!! And I wouldn't mind seeing Roy Carroll play a few more starts, as when he played last season he really impressed me - and if you take a look, they had incredible form during his stint last season.

:loudhorn:

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   
alrite chebob55, welcome to Sports Tawk, and good post

i think man utd will improve too, but by the time they are all back will it be too late?

the forward line, what do you see that being, van nistelrooy is a cert along with who though? big pressure on rooney though i think

with heinze, is he a left and centre back? when he is back fortune will struggle for a game, and with giggs on the wing

i think fletcher will get beater and ronaldo is really skillfull, djemba djemba i think the jury is still out on him

if you can be bothered it would be good to see what you think the strongest man utd team would be

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Okay, to try and answer you questions in order:

On it being too late..............I'm kind of in the middle on that. I think, if the majority of the best squad (Nistelroy, Rio and Rooney) back in around 3 matches, it IS possible for them to steal the premiership, if they can pick up the pace and go full steam. I don'yt think they'll be without their best players for TOO long, but I am willing to succumb to 2nd or 3rd again, because it's been a VERY rough 12 months, and any team would take time to recover. Whatever happens, I still think they are going to get the Champions League this season, and I also think we've seen the worst of United for a while: as the stars start trickling back in, the team is going to get shockingly strong. When Heinze and Ferdinand ae paired up, I don't think we're going to let in many goals.....lol

The front line: In my personal opinion, I really think Fergie should look at a 4-3-3 position, not yet, but when the squad is back in a good shape. Ideally, I would have Rooney and Nistleroy both close to the center of the pitch, either side of the box if you know what I mean, so that either could get a long ball, take from defence or simply set up the other to score. I would have a 3rd striker further back, infront of midfield, ready to either pass the ball in, run to the wing, take a long shot, or try to run it further into the box. My choice for that position would be smith, but it would be sensible to set up a rotation thing with Saha, and possibly Solskjaer when hes fit (if ever). I don't think Rooney will even notice any pressure: hes the kind of player who can ignore that and use his natural ability to do the job

From what I know, Fergie wants Heinze as Primarily a Left Back, but seeing as how there aren't many options in defence at the moment, I'm sure Fergie will have to put Heinze in centr, or even Right Back, at least in one game.

Hopefully Fortune will struggl, but I've noticed a disturbing pattern whereby Fergie picks Fortune no matter whos available, and Fortune always fails. I swear I'm the only one whos noticed, I still don't understand........It's the only criticism I have of Fergies tactics, why does he play Fortune???

Right: I spotted Fletchers skills the first match he played for them, And I'm still confident that he is a world class player waiting to be primed. Some of the skill he has displayed has reminded me of Steve Irwin and Roy Keane in his early days. I trust fergie on this one, I think Fletcher shows remarkable potential. Ronaldo is undescribable: He is a wonderkid, a new Cantona, and the fact that he is so young just adds to the glory. I can't even imagine how he will be playing in 3 years time, he is like a new generation of footballer. If ever fergie has spotted raw talent, Ronaldo is it. As for Djemba-Djemba, he has got a lot of criticism along with Kleberson. The way I see it, Kleberson deserves it, as he has yet to prove his worth, and he has never really impressed. On the other hand, When I have seen Djemba Djemba play, he has shown that he has the ability, the skill and the ambition to play in the top class. Some of his manouveres have been spectacular, and he doesn't tire easily. I am confused as to why no one has picked up on this yet? He has got great ability, no matter what the papers say.

Well, long postm, but I REALLY care about my team lol

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I'd have to completely disagree with you comparing them to the team from the nineties. Beckham, Schmeichel, Sheringham, Solkjaeer, Yorke and Cole all left, with only Keane, Giggs and Scholes remaining.

Although one could argue that Yorke and Cole passed their prime after leaving united, the truth is that the chemistry they had with the midfield players and the rest of the team played a crucial part in their success in the nineties.

ManU of today... LMFAO

Give that man an Oscar
Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo cries out in supposed pain as he clashes with Kevin Kilbane of Everton during their Premiership match at Old Trafford on August 30 2004 in Manchester, England. The game ended in a 0-0 draw

This pic IMO would sum up thier new premiership season
ManU are dead. To be held to at bay to Everton is not only humiliating but doesn't sit well with ManU fans and a sign of bad things to come.

A touch worried
Sir Alex Ferguson of Manchester United watches his side against Everton.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer
I'd have to completely disagree with you comparing them to the team from the nineties. Beckham, Schmeichel, Sheringham, Solkjaeer, Yorke and Cole all left, with only Keane, Giggs and Scholes remaining.

Although one could argue that Yorke and Cole passed their prime after leaving united, the truth is that the chemistry they had with the midfield players and the rest of the team played a crucial part in their success in the nineties.

ManU of today... LMFAO

Give that man an Oscar
Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo cries out in supposed pain as he clashes with Kevin Kilbane of Everton during their Premiership match at Old Trafford on August 30 2004 in Manchester, England. The game ended in a 0-0 draw

This pic IMO would sum up thier new premiership season
ManU are dead. To be held to at bay to Everton is not only humiliating but doesn't sit well with ManU fans and a sign of bad things to come.

A touch worried
Sir Alex Ferguson of Manchester United watches his side against Everton.

Okay, for a start, Man U have had a ridiculous amount of absence due to injury and whatnot, which has obviously affected the team. to say that Sherriingham, yourke and Cole are Better than Rooney, Smith and Nistelroy, well - it's a bit pointless isnt it?

Smith has already shown in 6 matches that he can do what both Cole and Yorke never did in their careers. I don't even rate them next to the current squad, the only reason they suceeded was there were no other contenders. Im talking about the skill of Mark Hughes, Cantona, Irwin, Even George Best and Charlton. Thats the skill that is waiting to be unleashed now. If you think Man United are dead, your in for one hell of a shock, believe me............If it doesn't come sooner, Man United wil impose their authority when Rio Ferdinand, Van Nistelroy, Wayne Rooney, and Gabriel Heinze (possibly sooner) all come back at Liverpool, ready to slap the face of the premiership once again.

TRD

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   
As a West ham supporter i am not biased with an opinion of Premier League teams for now. But to say that Manchester United are dead is a laughable statement.

I would say now that when Rooney and Nistlerooy are both fit and in the side together they will form one of the most potent strike forces the Premier League will ever have seen. I have been watching football from the touchlines for over 28 years now and i'm getting excited about it now. Gone are the hatred for teams (i did that in the 80's), i now want to see a great match or a decent team play football.

Were talking about Giggs on the left, Ronaldo on the right, Keane and Scholes in midfield, Nistlerooy and Rooney up front, Ferdinand, Heinz, Neville and whoever else in defence. In my opinion and a hell of alot of other people that is a world class side. That is without the players they have to come into the side. Smith, Saha, Fletcher, Silvestre ect ect...

To compare them with other Man United sides is laughable. To compare any football team with a team of years ago is the same, not just Man U. Different style of play, different era, different players all make it difficult to compare them. The game is played at a different pace and the rules have changed a hell of alot over the years. I would say aswell that the skill of the players has increased.

Man United will be up there challenging all the way this season, it is just a few games old and there is a hell of a long way to go yet. It will be like getting new players because of all the injuries when they come back and the buzz of the side will be unbelievable.

[Edited on 1/9/04 by TRD]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
ManU paid $$60 - 70 million for Rooney. I don't think ManU knew Rooney had a broken foot when they signed him. It would be interesting to see how long it would take for him to get back to full fitness after recovering.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   

ManU paid $$60 - 70 million for Rooney. I don't think ManU knew Rooney had a broken foot when they signed him. It would be interesting to see how long it would take for him to get back to full fitness after recovering.

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Of course they knew he had a broken foot
Full fitness shouldn't be the problem
fitting in to Man Utd system might be tho
Smith Giggs Van Nistelrooy Saha Ronaldo Rooney Scholes
:sport-smiley-019:

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Rooney is a pie eater who's picked up more yellow cards than goals, he has alot of potential but he also has a chip on his shoulder and could very possibly be another talent wasted ala Gascoine, Best e.t.c.

Manures midfield is still weak, this proven even more by the fact that they are already drawing games that they used to nick at the end. This could be turned around by the amount of talent on board, but no team stays on top forever and I believe there are alot more shrewder managers around now who don't fall for Fergie's weak mind games, his effect is not what it once was...except for getting a rediculous amount of extra time and dodgy refereeing decisions that is.

Now, a welsh man supporting Manure is another matter...

That's just twisted and not right. *shakes head*

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Now, a welsh man supporting Manure is another matter...

That's just twisted and not right. *shakes head*

Haha, well I also support Cardiff City, but lets be honest, theres not much great football in them. Rooney, incidentally, is poised to return on the same date as Ferdinand and Nistelroy - Liverpool, 20 September

Their midfield isn't weak, it's just that Fergie hasn't had a lot of room to experiment withall his midfielders, and a lot of games in proximity at the start of the season has forced him to give players like Scholes and Giggs a rest, experimenting with Eagles and Kleberson. Djemba Djemba is getting good, and Fletcher and Ronaldo are star quality. There is no problem in midfield, it's jist a case of finding the right formation.....

So I'm sure you'll be eating your words in 18 days time, but who knows....

Fergie definately knew he had a broken foot, even my nan knew lol, it's been broken since the Euros, and he is back on track for this month hopefully, so I wouldn't consider it a waste of money.

Finally, he won't go the same way as Gascoine because Gascoine didn't have Fergie. Smith was the same at Leeds, but has already settled down. Fergie don't tolerate nonsense from his players, and Rooneys not going to be allowed to do what he likes anymore. :loudhorn: Fergies Hairdryer will sort him out in no time

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
do you think his european 4 5 1 formation is out the window now lol

i would have giggs on the left, dont know about scholes cos i think smith is better, he could play his role, keane rotating with djemba djemba and ronaldo on the right. fletcher mixing it on the right and the centre

whats happened to kleberson, is he still fighting for a place or has he faded ou the picture.

[Edited on 9/3/04 by rynaldo82]

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Nah, I think 4-5-1 was just temporary......I would much rather see Scholes and Smith in the same team.

Kleberson is trying, but I don't think he's got what it takes..............it's sad cos he looked promising, but he can't cut the Premier League.......

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
My bets are that ManU will lose to Lyon on September 15/04. I suggest looking out for the game.

:sport-smiley-019::party-smiley-018:

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   

My bets are that ManU will lose to Lyon on September 15/04. I suggest looking out for the game.

:sport-smiley-019::party-smiley-018:

haha, If that happens I will eat a row of Dunce hats....lol

Smith was BUILT for europe

new topics

top topics

join