It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manchester United: Smith likes Man United

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Leeds striker Alan Smith has admitted that he would consider moving to the club's bitter rivals Manchester United.

Many felt that the lifelong Elland Road supporter would shy away from a switch across the Pennines to Old Trafford rather than risk upsetting The Whites' supporters who idolise him.

However, the 23-year-old England forward insists the chance to join a big club who would help him challenge for major honours and further his international career would overrule any such emotions.

TRD

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
It's early day's yet and i reckon there will be rumours that most of the top clubs at home and abroad are interested in him. I wouldn't like to say where he will end up yet. The season hasn't even finished yet!

TRD

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Leeds are "not that far away" from selling striker Alan Smith to arch-rivals Manchester United for 8million, according to director Peter Lorimer.

Lorimer has revealed that negotiations with the Old Trafford club have advanced and the England international could now make the switch across the Pennines within days.

Sir

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Well they signed him. Anyone think he will start? The have Nistlerooy and Saha and that. I think he is a great player but is he going to get a run in the side?

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Just thought I'd follow up this thread wih my opinion of his performance so far:

He is a gem. He is diving for balls, using his head a lot, striking often, and he scored 5 goals in 6 games, one of which was just BEAUTIFUL (the volley).

I think Saha is going to have to work a lot harder if he wants to be in ahead of Smith, because I haven't seen a player like him for a long time........very refreshing.

I think what makes him suited to Manchester united is his on pitch aggresion. At any other club this will just get you a lot of Red Cards, but fergie knows how to turn it into damaging football fury, lol, just look at Keane or Mark Hughes......and I think Rone will be the same. Man United need aggresive strikers, and thats what Smith is.

TRD

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Thats the thing, who is going to be first choice?

Rooney, Saha, Nistlerooy, Smith?

The way Smith has played he can't be dropped...

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Well, If I had my way, I still say 4-3-3, with Saha on the bench, but I don't know if Fergie can rely on 3 midfielders at the moment.....I'd have to go with Rooney and Smith. Nistelroy is excellent, but the last few games he has played for united haven't been his best, and I think he should be reintroduced slowly, swap him for smith at half time or vice-versa. Keep the team fresh, with Saha and Bellion to step in for injurys

TRD

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Rooney and Smith? Two similar types of players.

I was thinking Nistlerooy and Smith and let the golden boy earn his place in the side like the rest have had to.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Rooney and Smith? Two similar types of players.

I was thinking Nistlerooy and Smith and let the golden boy earn his place in the side like the rest have had to.

Haha, Smith and Rooney are both aggresive, and I think thats what United have been lacking lately. But theres so many combinations of strikers now, Fergie can pick n mix. You could be right about Rooney earning his place. It would be great, and good shock tactics, if Rooney is put in Centre Forward behind Nistelry and Smith for his Debut - they wouldn't expect it, and with Rooneys style he would do some damage, with Smith and Nistelroy ready to punce on any chances. Sounds good.......

TRD

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Well the way Rooney plays he could do that role well. It certainly will be interesting to see who he plays when they are all fit and raring to go.

Nistlerooy should be the first one back to partner Smith so it will be interesting if these two hit it off from the start as to what happens...

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
i think van nisterloy has got to play, in the mean time i think smith will be up front with him and rooney getting introudeced gradually. still its four good forwards, i think bellion will be ousted out some time

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Hopefuly Nistelrot and Smith will gel together......The rest of the team love Smith, I think Nistelroy will be the same - finally, someone capable of keeping his own in the box and helping Van out (Remember Forlan - that was how NOT to do it).

I cant wait to see what Fergie decides in the end, I just hope he realises how good smith is and doesn't instantly keep him in the Subs bench as soon as Rooney is fit.....

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
do you think its possible they could switch smith into a midfield player, i think there is similarlites between him and scholes in the area they cover

out of interest, how does liam miller seem to be settling in?

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Smith would make an excellent midfielder, but he just loves shots.........I don't think he'd be happy being denied "box time"...

Liam Miller was great for Celtic, but so far he has failed to impress......I think he needs more time to get used to it, he looks a bit like Fletcher when he first started....

One new player who looks impressive though is Spector in defence, he's looking promising

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
yer miller was good for celtic, always looked really composed and that is something which is good, fletcher is great i think and i think fergie wants him molded in to the midfield centre

i dont know anything about the spector guy, think he will follow in the neville bros, wes brown footsteps

TRD

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Spector thats a new one to me aswell....

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I saw Spector debut in their Champions League match, and he was confident and powerful, like you mentioned he reminded me of Gary Neville. They need more defenders, and I think he was a wise choice. And like the rest of the new ones, he is very young.

Fergies building a team for the future, all young talent, and from what I've seen he has made some very wise choices.

But what I want to know is, who has fergie got lined up for Giggs's long term position, because he hasn't got long left, I'd say 4 years MAX.

I think Fletcher could do that with a lot of training, but I'm sure Ronaldo will be Fergies choice.....

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
this young guy spector is gonna find it hard to get in the team i would think

from memory you have heinze, silverstre, o'shea, ferdinand, gary neville and wes brown at the back, and your faviourte fortune

giggs position, what about kieran richardson? if all else fails you got the fortune
i thought ronaldo would be the right position

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I think spector could be beter than Brown, despite Browns hype....who knows.

And I'm not sure about Richardson, he's got skill, but he hasn't made a name for himself yet, I don't know where he could be played - anywhere I guess, in midfield.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
i remember ages ago wes brown picked up a bad injury, has that stoped him reaching his full potiental?

a name i have head is djrodic? i think hes sweden, he is supposed to be a good winger with a promising future

top topics

<<   2 >>

join