It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liverpool: Benitez keen on Aimar

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Claudio Ranieri insists he wants to keep Pablo Aimar, after Liverpool enquired about his availability.

The Argentine star was signed by Reds boss Rafael Benitez during his time with Los Ches.

Now it is understood that Benitez would like to sign Aimar once again.

Aimar is not considered a certain starter for Valencia, having made several appearances from the bench already this season and he is becoming increasingly unsettled.

The Argentine is an undoubted talent and, like so many before him, and no doubt many who will follow, was heralded as the new 'Diego Maradona' upon his arrival in Europe.

He has not fulfilled his full potential so far, but he is still regarded as one of the most dangerous players in the world.

Aimar would no doubt relish the chance to link up with Benitez at Anfield, but even the interest in the Argentine would lead to suggestions about the future of some of Benitez's current squad - particularly captain Steven Gerrard.

Skysports

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
this guy has some footballing brain, hes a really good player. and benetiz will know him well. if gerrard was to leave and he came in, that would be the type of class needed to replace him

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 06:07 AM
link   
it sounds like aimar would love to join up and that he aint happy where he is

"This season I'm not happy at Valencia," he told the Daily Star.

"Rafa Benitez is an excellent coach who knows me very well and Liverpool would be an ideal place to go if I cannot sort out my future here.

"I do not understand why I have not been playing. Ranieri has not told me the reasons but I am obviously not part of his plans.

"From what I can see, English football is the best in Europe next to Spain and I do not think I would have a problem adapting to The Premiership."

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   
well, valencia are hiting back at these claims now

"The club has been in touch with Aimar, who has said that he has not made any declarations to English newspapers," reads the statement on Valencia's official website.

"Nor has he given any interviews in the past few days."

The Spanish champions also said that quotes from a club spokesman, Agustin Morera, claiming that Valencia had received an offer of €12million for Aimar were also completely false.

The Mestalla outfit explained that the story originally appeared on another website called foroche.com and that they had invented the quotes from Morera.

sky sports

new topics

top topics

join