It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan - A polite police state

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 10:33 AM
link   
'Anonymous' P2P users busted in Jap

Japanese police have arrested two users of a supposedly anonymous file-sharing network.

Investigators also raided the home of the developer of a software application, called "Winny", used by the duo in a unsuccessful attempt to shield their identity.

More...

On the Japanese 'anon' P2P bust

If you are going to use a story from the Mainichi Daily News, please include in your story that the article you mentioned may not be what all appears.

Doesn't it seem strange to you that: "It's unclear how police traced the suspects" and the "19-year-old who can't be named for legal reasons," I'm sure it does since you wrote that.

I work as a computer consultant to the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo, and according to embassy officials (who will not go on record), Japan's legal system is rather third world and up to 50% of the Ministry of Justice is touched by Yakuza (mafia). Japanese cops move up in their career when they make "good" arrests and go down-permanently, when they make "wrong" arrests.

Japan has a 99.9% conviction rate, so you can guess how many wrong arrests are turned into "good" arrests by forcing confessions and such.

More...

Wow... and I thought the US justice was corrupted...heheheh... looks like they're not alone. And it looks like Japan could turn into a police state soon enough.

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Socially Japanese society is rather conformist and authoritarian.
There is little or no tradition of democracy in this ancient and
too traditional society.
Very little it seems is done to encourage creativity, and independent thought.
It would not be surprising if Japan turned into a police state.
With no sense of real individualism the average japanese
should make a good docile subject and always respectful of
authority.

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 10:54 PM
link   
People from other countries who visit Japan should be careful, if the conviction rate is that high! I would be very cautious to visit that country, making sure I wouldn't break any unknown laws.

But, I guess if someone is from Canada or the U.S, they will be held in high respect, so maybe the chances of prosecution will be lower, if a law is broken.

The police state is an ideology that can go to far, when it is unjust to the average citizen, neglecting their basic dignities, and human rights.

[Edited on 7-12-2003 by IMMORTAL]

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 10:55 PM
link   
yep no surprise

good info

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 12:07 AM
link   
First thing off the bat- P2P filesharing is illegal, pure and simple. They were arrested and convicted. The second fact you should know is that while there is a 99.9% conviction rate, Japan's crime levels are shockingly low for such a huge population in such a small area. Most of these convictions are from small tiem crimes, adn these 'convictions' are to sit in jail for a few weeks.

Next point:"It's unclear how police traced the suspects" and "up to 50% of the Ministry of Justice is touched by Yakuza" Well, surprise surprise, despite being gansters, the Yakuza are a double edged sword. Usually, oyabun (bosses) frown upon violent crime and street violence. traditionally, the Yakuza were as much help as harm. While they derive a good deal fo revenue from protection and prostitution, they also make sure street crime is low. A mugger in Japan who assaulted someone mroe often than not ends up staring down the barrel of a kobun's gun. These people were probably sold out for infractiosn agaisnt a local gumi. In fact, in certain areas, the Yakuza are refered as police or protectors, ei. the 'Ginza police'. The yakuza are as much a force for good as bad. here's a link:

www.crimelibrary.com...

As for offenders form other countries, beign from outside Japan isn't goign to help your case at all. In fact, it might hurt it some. My advice is to not start # over there.

As for spotting a kobun, look at the hands or torsos. Heavy tattoing (mostly in the torso, upper legs and arms- places where a conservative suit would hide it) is a very good indicator. The easiest way to identify a kobun is to look at their hands. If they're missing a joint- ANY joint, but especially the ones on their pinky fingers- it's a safe bet they are either current or former Yak members. As such, don't pick a fight with them- it's an easy ticket to jail and worse. Hope I helped clarify things a little, but the japanese people have a lot of history you have to look at before you make such rash judgements on them, and I simply don't have tiem to give out lessons.

DE

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
First thing off the bat- P2P filesharing is illegal, pure and simple. They were arrested and convicted. The second fact you should know is that while there is a 99.9% conviction rate, Japan's crime levels are shockingly low for such a huge population in such a small area. Most of these convictions are from small tiem crimes, adn these 'convictions' are to sit in jail for a few weeks.

Next point:"It's unclear how police traced the suspects" and "up to 50% of the Ministry of Justice is touched by Yakuza" Well, surprise surprise, despite being gansters, the Yakuza are a double edged sword. Usually, oyabun (bosses) frown upon violent crime and street violence. traditionally, the Yakuza were as much help as harm. While they derive a good deal fo revenue from protection and prostitution, they also make sure street crime is low. A mugger in Japan who assaulted someone mroe often than not ends up staring down the barrel of a kobun's gun. These people were probably sold out for infractiosn agaisnt a local gumi. In fact, in certain areas, the Yakuza are refered as police or protectors, ei. the 'Ginza police'. The yakuza are as much a force for good as bad. here's a link:

www.crimelibrary.com...

As for offenders form other countries, beign from outside Japan isn't goign to help your case at all. In fact, it might hurt it some. My advice is to not start # over there.

As for spotting a kobun, look at the hands or torsos. Heavy tattoing (mostly in the torso, upper legs and arms- places where a conservative suit would hide it) is a very good indicator. The easiest way to identify a kobun is to look at their hands. If they're missing a joint- ANY joint, but especially the ones on their pinky fingers- it's a safe bet they are either current or former Yak members. As such, don't pick a fight with them- it's an easy ticket to jail and worse. Hope I helped clarify things a little, but the japanese people have a lot of history you have to look at before you make such rash judgements on them, and I simply don't have tiem to give out lessons.

DE

Of course P2P file sharing isn't illegal. P2P has existed in one form or another for nearly a decade. Only when these P2P services are used to share copyrighted files does the problem become apparent. There are plenty of non-copyrighted files out there that people share and those who use P2P services for such shouldn't all be labeled as 'criminals'.

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Very good topic. I also found this link when I was reading your second link. Link

I don't understand why the US Gov or the USMC do not want to help one of them.

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 08:18 PM
link   
yogibear

I think you're exagerating a little bit, but yes it is a society that is based on old traditionnal values, and conformism and authority still prevail strongly.

DeusEx

Thanks for the interesting imput, and good link, I only read the first page but it looked interesting as well. I'm sure sometimes the Yakuza happens to help "the people" but always keep in mind that, one way or another, when they do something, it must serve their needs too. I wouldn't go as far as protraying them like good guys like you kinda did. They might not all be deamons, but they're clearly not a clan of angels.
And they say somewhere they are associated with right-wing politician, so they're definitly evil. I bet they eat babies. (just kidding)

Final_Wave

Yep, u're right about that. It's not the act of sharing files that is illegal. Cuz people have been doing this since ages. In different ways of course. But apparently now there's some stuff we can't share. Thanks to a bunch of greedy bastards.

ultra_phoenix

Geez, it'll be a year soon that this guy was accused.
Feel sad for the poor guy. Thanks for the link.
I can't understand either why they ain't doing a thing.
Makes me mad as well, I simply hates it when people are wrongly accused and held away from their country and when their own country takes ages to bring 'em back.

Edit: and sorry to the local mods for going a little off-topic.

[Edited on 8-12-2003 by m0rbid]

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 08:36 PM
link   
The yakuza might be gangsters, but when they all but police a presinct...well, you have to look at them differently than you would Western mobsters. I know they're far from angels...but I don't see any sicilian mob families looking out for the residents of any given town.

DE

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 09:20 PM
link   
DeusEx

Well, you haven't seen EVERYTHING, haven't you? lol...
But maybe you're right. Maybe it's just a question of philosophy. I liked when they talked about the machi-yokko in the article you posted.

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 03:11 AM
link   
There are a lot of appealing things about traditional gumi, but yabitsume still creeps me out. I guess one fo the things that keeps them in bussiness is the fact that they can rely on a populace for a mediocrum of support. For instance, when they get protection money, they also provide protection agaisnt roving hoodlums, triads, ect. Doesn't justify what they're doing...but at least they ahve an upside to their work, unlike a lot of organized crime rings.

DE

new topics

top topics

join