It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liverpool: Kirkland to get run in the side

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Liverpool goalkeeper Chris Kirkland has been promised a run in the side by manager Rafael Benitez to prove himself after his latest return from injury.

Benitez handed Kirkland his first start of the campaign in the 1-0 weekend defeat by Chelsea as one of five changes to his line-up.

And the Spaniard acknowledges that any goalkeeper needs time to recover match-sharpness and is therefore planning to keep faith with Kirkland when the international break is over.

link

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
thats good to hear he will be giving kirkland a chance, and i guess, he has to take it. guess if he does a amazing 4 or 5 games, it might put him back in contention for the national team

TRD

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
It's about time he was fit and he showed he was a very good keeper before he was injured.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Chris Kirkland is determined to prove himself as Liverpool's number one keeper - after manager Rafael Benitez promised him a run in the team.

The 23-year-old stopper has been beset by injury since his move to Anfield three years ago but returned to the starting line-up for the defeat by Chelsea last weekend.

New boss Benitez on Monday revealed Kirkland will be given at least four games to build his confidence - but the former Coventry keeper is determined to retain his place for the whole season.

Kirkland said: "I want to make sure the gaffer doesn't think he needs a new keeper.

"I've got to perform now, it's as simple as that.''

"When a new gaffer comes in you've got to prove yourself again,'' Kirkland added. "I want to make sure he doesn't see a new goalkeeper as a priority when the transfer window opens in January or next summer.

"I've been out so much I've got fed up reading about myself having the potential to do this or that. All I've wanted is to play and show what I can do.

"When I was travelling with the squad back from European games, the boss told me I didn't have to play in reserve games if I felt tired, but I was determined to be on the football pitch as much as possible so I could work my way back into contention.''

If he stays fit and plays, he is Englands No 1.

top topics

join