It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

West Ham United: What is happening to the Hammers

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I guess the title says it all..

Last season we had one of our best seasons in a long time. The team Pardew built was looking good and just needed strengthening in certain areas. The arrival of Paintsil, Mears and Bowyer seemed to fill the gaps only for Mears and Paintsil to get injured.

Along come the Argies, the takeover bid and things have just gone downhill. Rio Coker is showing off as he didnt get a move to Arsenal and it shows in his performances, well that goes for alot of players on the side. The Argies have shown glimpses of World Class but thats about it, just glimpses.. Pardew is getting hammered by everyone due to the performances, albiet in a few of the games we was the better side and still lost.

But you can't blame Pardew. He picks basically the same team as last year, not much has change, except maybe the players attitude and commitment. We had such a strong team spirit which seems to have gone for now.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Hey TRD, how you doing... better than the Hammers i would imagine

Last season you did great! and i thought the players which were signed were good ones.. Like Mears whos supposed to be a cracking young player, Carlton Cole coming in aswell to put pressure on the strikers. Bowyer is a seasonsed midfielder in the Prem and at the start, i cant remember but you started quite well.

All of a sudden.. 2 huge buys come in and the team aint been the same. It must have killed the team morale when this happened. I read the Argie coach is wanting them to leave already.. saying.... Macherrino? move to Juve as they supposively want him. And had a dig at Pardew for playing Tevez out on the left on some games.

They are cracking players. so in time, maybe they will turn into a class act. But they best be quick!

TRD

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Good man, hope things are ok with you...

Well Carlton Cole has looked pretty good.

Harewood has been terrible all season. I'm not sure if its all due to this takeover saga and the argies. I bet alot of players noses was put out of joint as they was guarenteed their places before.

When i have seen them play they both looked good, it was other members of the team that was playing badly...

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Dont blame the form on 2 players I reckon its the takeover talk that has blighted your terrible start to the season.

I do hope yopu start winning again.Sorry we couldn't let you win at the w/e.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Do you think Curbs in the man for the job? he did well with Charlton and I think West Ham have more potential and more money. Cracking result against Man Utd in his 1st game, I ain't sure on all your resulst since he took charge but I read he took a 6 nil beating off of someone.

What was going on in that game? When things are looking up, I am sure many of the players felt this is the time things can go right after the poor start to the season and bang that happens. Is there recurring things behind the scences happening with the new powers in charge.

I heard Curbs was saying, players were brought in during the summer but they ain't good enough. I guess he was reffering to George McCartney who, ain't ever gonna be a 1st team player. Not unless he food poisons the rest of the team. Carlton Cole ain.t any better than the other strikers.

Is it true Viduka is being linked with the club? personally, I hope he doesnt go to you. The guy has the wrong attitude alot of the time and I think when teh team needs to dig deep, he ain't the kinda guy you want.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
First off, George McCartney has done good since he has came into the side. He's better that Konchesky by a mile, he's a proper defender, can tackle and gets forward. Konchesky has been poor all season, if you take a look at alot of the games so far this season. He has been out of position, getting caught out all the time, cant tackle ect. Curbishley didnt want him at Charlton so my guess is that Konchesky's days are numbered.

There has been talks that Viduka may come, but do we need him? Tevez has started to play well and is starting to look the type of player he was hyped up to be. Carlton Cole deserves a chance while Ashton is still out as Harewood and Zamora just dont look good enough.

One problem i see in curbishley is that he likes to buy the older player. Matt Holland, Brian Hughes, Kishishev, Kalkouri, Bartlett, Johansson and a few other players he brought to Charlton in recent years was all over 30.

According to the West Ham board, they want more from the club, they want European football and will stump up the money to get it. But can you trust him with it? He has signed Boa Morte, albiet a very good signing but he's 29, today he signed Nigel Quashie whos 28. He's also looking to sign Smertin, who is 31 and the Shaun Wright Phillips deal looks dead as he dont want to come to us. Getting SWP would have been a great signing as he is a class player and thats the sort of player the club should be looking to sign if they want to go forward.

On the rumour mill comming from a few people i know, Benayoun, Konchesky, Ferdinand, Harewood and Zamora will go if they can find clubs that will sign them. Also on the cut list could be Coker, Mullins, Sheringham, Ethrington, Mascherano... It would be ripping the guts out of the team but something needs to be done just for us to stay up this season.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Well it cant be looking too good now you've bought Nigel Queesy of us! Gods he's bloody awful! Cant tackle, cant pass (unless its to thin air), and hes a right dirty
too! Coupled with the fact hes been relegated with all his teams, apart from Portsmouth IIRC, I really doubt hes the man to help the Hammers.

I'm glad to see the back of him at West Brom, especially at a profit, but i've always had a soft spot for the Hammers so I hope he doesn't jinx you guys the same way he has all his other clubs. Good luck

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Pardews sacking was a disgrace. He should have been given til the end of the season after his triumphs last year. EggHead is really an egg head, his brain is made up of one cell.

Curbsihley is a rubbish appointment, destined to be sacked. It took him ages to do his thing at Charlton and EggHead wants results quickly.

You can't blame Tevez or Mascherano.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by byhiniur
Pardews sacking was a disgrace. He should have been given til the end of the season after his triumphs last year. EggHead is really an egg head, his brain is made up of one cell.

The reasons for this may become clear in the next month or so, from what I've read elsewhere.

Originally posted by byhiniurCurbsihley is a rubbish appointment, destined to be sacked. It took him ages to do his thing at Charlton and EggHead wants results quickly.

Granted, not the person I would have picked either. But when you have people like Cottee spouting off to the press that "West Ham fans will demand that Curbishley is made the new manager, he is ex West Ham after all" what do you expect him to do?

Originally posted by byhiniurYou can't blame Tevez or Mascherano.

Nope, can't say fairer than that. I'd look at the players who's noses were put out of joint by them coming in.

We need a run of 2/3 wins, that will see us out of trouble.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Winstoned, the word comming from the rumour mill is that Pardew was messing around with Carlton Coles girlfriend. The players played crap so that he would get the sack and there was alot of bust ups on and off the field with him. If that is true, its typical West Ham to cover it up and carry on like nothing was wrong.

Three defeats down the line and Wigan winning today, i would say the writing is on the wall for us. Its looking very likely that we will go down again. Unless we pull off a minor miracle, its Championship football yet again for us. The only good thing is that we wont have to sell off the players like last time. But how many will want to stay or how many will they want to keep? Eggy doesn't seem a patient guy and Curbishley could well be on his way before the season ends. Names already being touted is Terry Venables and Graham Souness. Both of them would be bad choices imo. If they really want to achieve something they need a guy like George Graham, i would pull out alk the stops to bring him back into management.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Its a shame West Ham are looking at relegation. I like teams which do great youth work and along with Crewe, west Ham are one of the best. But like Crewe they are in free fall.

Can´t understand why Tevez isn´t on more often, he´s a whirlwind.

And Dean ashton, I thought he´d be playing for england eventually..

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Ouch! I felt sorry for you yesterday TRD.

Losing 2 goals in the last 5 minutes had to hurt, and you could see the players faces. I think deep down they thought thats us, we tried our best here and it never worked. It looked like admitting defeat.

Dean Ashton, he played for Crewe years back right?

It's a shame as West Ham are a good team to watch. I think Curbs has under-achieved, hes under Watford and that tells a bad story. Give him time and I am sure he will get you back up and make you a mid-table side, but I am srue there is managers who were available who would have been able to keep you up and would have made better signings. I feel the players Curbs signed are no better than the kinda players he signed for Charlton.

I read earlier he ain't getting sacked. Whats happened to Benayoun? and yeah, where is Ashton, is he still injured?

At least on a postive Tevez is looking better but I would imagine he will be sold.

What is gonna happen with Sheringham? is he chucking it at the end of the season?

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   
You have to be gutted, but what do you expect after the way we have played for most of the season. I guess i have become immune to it over the years, i've seen enough bad times in 32 years at Upton Park to last a lifetime. I don't feel sorry for the players one bit, it's their fault we are in that position. Ok maybe a couple fo them i do who have really put the effort in for most of the season. But when you have players like Ferdinand sneaking out of the country to America for a couple of days when he was meant to be visiting his mother, something is definatly wrong.

You have to give Curbishley a chance, but i have said all along he wont keep us up. He might prove to be utter rubbish, but when inheriting a team like he has, which has its fair share of troublemakers ect. The writing is on the wall from the start.

A mid table team? I dont think so, its '# or bust' as far as Eggy is concerned. He'll either take the Hammers all the way with massive cash injections for players or get out at the first opportunity. We'll drop down to the Championship, alot of the players will be shipped out and they will rebuild again. This time they will come back up straight away, bring more players in and then start the charge for the European places. A new site is being found for a new 50,000 - 70,000 capacity stadium, so they have big plans for the club. Its just that they will have to take a small step backwards first.

Ashton was at Crewe before he went to Norwich i think. He is still out, he is recovering still and doing light training. But he is still quiet a way off any sort of fitness to play and i dont think he will play this season.

Benayoun as far as i know is fit, he is just not getting in the side. Curbs likes the look of Bowyer more on the right and i agree with him. Benyayoun is more of a luxary player and we need some grafters in the side at the moment.

Sheringham wont be there after this season, if Curbs had his way he would be sent down the road now. He'll be lucky to start another game this season for the Hammers. Great player in his prime, a legend, but he is well past his sell by date now.

Its still not impossible looking at the games left for us to stay up, but it would take a miracle. We would have to win 5-6 games and hope Sheffield lose nearly all their games. If there was one time for us to call upon the spirits of the greats that have played at West Ham its now, but i think they would turn their backs on this team like most of the fans have started to do already.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 09:44 PM
link   
We all know that they are coming back from relegation, and they will win EVERYTHING ! ^_^ *insert sarcasm*

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
hahahahahaha glad the spammers are going down

say goodbye to all your players

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by DodgeG1

Its not over untill the last day of the season. The Hammers hit form at the right time and put us in a great position to stay up. Even if we do go down, explain how we would lose all our players? We are owned by a billionaire and a multi millionaire...

You know, look at the players we have lost in recent years, Carrick, Defoe, Lampard, Ferdinand, Joe Cole ect and the ones we had on the books namely, Sol Campbell, John Terry, Keiran Richardson, Beckham and many more. Makes you wonder that if the club had been sold a few years back when Tabor and a few others came in for it would things have been different.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Hey TRD, where you been hiding? ain't heard from you in ages.

And yeah... well done on staying up. Tevez sure saved you though and performed loads better when the pressure was on.

Will be interesting to see what kinda of money Curbs gets to spend and if he can spend it on good players.

I think Ashton is good and he will be back next season and you have alot of young players again so as a unit they will be stronger. Put it this way, they can't do as bad next year but then again.. I think even with a good squad you wold struggle to make the top 10.

Curbs is a guy who can build a half decent team over seasons so if time is on his side you will be an established premiership team. It's just... can he take you any further than that?

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by DodgeG1

Well it looks like i've had to eat my words!

Well done WestHam on staying up. I hope Tevez stays in England

top topics

join