It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why be an atheist ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Hi all, well iam an atheist, not that this site is the reason i am but i just found it and thought to keep up with all that promote believing here i should give yall something bacK

Its for secondary schools but i think thats not a problem here right ??
www.eclipse.co.uk...

[Edited on 5-12-2003 by jozuph]

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Thanks for the interesting link! >^,,^<

Always nice to hear from another athiest!

Purrrrrrrrrrr

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 08:52 AM
link   
do you never, ever, ever say 'Oh my God' ever,
I'll bet you do.
Or look up to the sky in exasperation and say 'Jesus Christ' as someone in front of you in the queue pulls the second card out of their wallet to use the ATM.
One of my friends' dad used to say 'Jesus, Mary and Joseph' if he wasn't in total agreement blah
What do atheists say?
To be honest I question my belief constantly, I don't go to church anymore as its too scary and weird, like brainwashing.
I like the comfort of feeling there is a supreme being in charge.
Religion is a divider of people though.

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 09:07 AM
link   
With all the "evidence" on this site showing how aliens have manipulted our DNA, and may have been, in fact, the truth behind angels and dieties, could it not be possible that athiests are correct? After all, more is shown in favor of alien influence than spiritual.

Granted, there is also the subject of magic and the occult. These are spiritual realms, for the most part; but, then again, since many sci-fi movies tell of evolving beyond the physical, in essence, it very well could be aliens we practice to.

Enoch showed us angels are physical beings. John Dee conversed with meta-physical creatures. And Lovecraft (even though he used archtypes) wrote of how the old gods are in fact, aliens.

I am not saying there isn't a god, or a divine creator. I just feel that most of the world is looking in the wrong place.

Am I an athiest? No, although I used to be... it wasn't until I started working with the occult did my views change. Is one belief better or more right than another? No, although I feel if one were to make the connections between ALL views, that a greater understanding will emerge.

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I think science is getting closer and closer to understanding reality...especially quantum physics...

There's more to reality than just our five (or six) senses are telling us...

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 09:54 AM
link   

I think this is actually why a lott of people believe in a supreme being, its not nice to call it lack of self confidence but he, what the heck
[not to offend anybody]

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I still don't know why I would want to be an atheist. The link has many reasons why NOT to be Religious, but I still don't know what Benefit comes along with Atheism.

What purpose or direction is Atheism or Atheists themselves going toward?? Is there any purpose or structure at all other than the purpose of being Anti-Religious??

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I have always wondered.,
If Atheists deny the existence of God, then their whole belief structure is based on something they acknowledge as a fallacy, which in turn would nullify the entire Idea of atheism.

If there is nothing to believe in , how can you disbelieve it?
I dont mean to be ugly, I am just curious, I dont want to try & force my religious veiws nor do I expect to have them pushed on me, its just something I have always wondered.

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by woulfgar
I have always wondered.,
If Atheists deny the existence of God, then their whole belief structure is based on something they acknowledge as a fallacy, which in turn would nullify the entire Idea of atheism.

If there is nothing to believe in , how can you disbelieve it? I dont mean to be ugly, I am just curious, I dont want to try & force my religious veiws nor do I expect to have them pushed on me, its just something I have always wondered.

I don't understand completely what you are trying to say I think... but you are saying that atheists don't believe in God and therefore they don't have an believe... (If I am not right correct me).

But Atheists don't believe in God because it is scientifically impossible, because they belief the scientific findings about the BigBang, action-reaction principle etc.

Their belief structure isn't based upon a fallacy, but on other things, and those things exclude those religions...

Just like the religions does say the BigBang didn't excist... does that mean they base it on a fallacy... no they base it upon the religion...

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I have always wondered.,

I dont mean to be ugly, I am just curious, I dont want to try & force my religious veiws nor do I expect to have them pushed on me, its just something I have always wondered.

Atheists are not religious, and atheism is not a religion. So therefore they believe nothing to do with God or a superior being. The do not actively pursue this view as a belief system, as religious people do in believing in God. If you were to ask me my religion, I wouldn't say atheist, I would say I had none.

Atheism is a lack of belief. There is nothing to believe in, therefore we have no belief in this nothing. Understand?

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by CiderGood_HeadacheBad

I have always wondered.,

Atheists are not religious, and atheism is not a religion. So therefore they believe nothing to do with God or a superior being. The do not actively pursue this view as a belief system, as religious people do in believing in God. If you were to ask me my religion, I wouldn't say atheist, I would say I had none.

Atheism is a lack of belief. There is nothing to believe in, therefore we have no belief in this nothing. Understand?

That is wahat I am saying though... how can you have no belief in something that does not exist . In saying there is nothing to believe in, and that you dont believe in that nothing, It just doesnt make sense to me.

If I dont believe in something, then that means there is something or someone saying it is so, otherwise I cant disbelieve or have a lack of belief. In order to have a lack of belief there must be something not to believe in. That in itself admits there is something there.

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lexus Panther
I'll bet you do.
Or look up to the sky in exasperation and say 'Jesus Christ' as someone in front of you in the queue pulls the second card out of their wallet to use the ATM.
One of my friends' dad used to say 'Jesus, Mary and Joseph' if he wasn't in total agreement blah
What do atheists say?
To be honest I question my belief constantly, I don't go to church anymore as its too scary and weird, like brainwashing.

Sure, I've said similar things. Usually when I'm being sarcastic or critical. Jesus Kayrist! or God damn! Oh my god! Whatever....these are not literal phrases for me. To me, it's the same as saying "# me! or You're #ting me!"

I'm not an atheist, though. I'm an extremely skeptical agnostic.

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeenBekkemaa

I have always wondered.,

If there is nothing to believe in , how can you disbelieve it? I dont mean to be ugly, I am just curious, I dont want to try & force my religious veiws nor do I expect to have them pushed on me, its just something I have always wondered.

I don't understand completely what you are trying to say I think... but you are saying that atheists don't believe in God and therefore they don't have an believe... (If I am not right correct me).

But Atheists don't believe in God because it is scientifically impossible, because they belief the scientific findings about the BigBang, action-reaction principle etc.

Their belief structure isn't based upon a fallacy, but on other things, and those things exclude those religions...

Just like the religions does say the BigBang didn't excist... does that mean they base it on a fallacy... no they base it upon the religion...

PLEASE...You speak of the Big Bang theory as if it is a fact like action-reaction. You have based your argument on as great a fallacy as any believer. You have shown as much faith in things not seen nor evidenced as any God believer.

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I think its very rational to throw out conventional ideas of God such as those presented to us in religions etc, however there is definitely something supernatural going on around us.

May the force be with you

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lexus Panther
I'll bet you do.
What do atheists say?

Well actually those examples you gave are actually examples of taking the 'Lord's' name in vain, so no strict Christian should say things like that.

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I don't believe in god because I don't need or want to.
The benefit for me is a strength in myself that I can accredit all to myself rather than something else.
If we were created by aliens or whatever then that's different, I still don't feel the need or want to worship them but were they to show themselves to me with the evidence that they created us then I'd believe, still not worship though.

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I did not choose to be an atheist. I look for god almost everyday. You can not choose what you believe. You can choose how you act. You can choose to go to church and make everybody there think you are just like them and make them think that you believe in god. But that does not make you a believer and it makes me feel like an imposter.

Choosing to believe in god is no easier than choosing to believe in Santa Claus. I don't pick this example to offend anyone, it just illustrates my point.

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Ok, I still don't see WHY CHOOSING ATHEISM is so great.

All I keep reading from everyone is how "God doesn't exist" or that "They don't believe in God or Religions dealing with Unscientific or Unproven Consepts".
Now while I do see and understand the Argument Atheist present by showing how destructive things like the Crusades were and so on, that still doesn't account for anything special.

What about something like Zen Buddhism or Taoism or one of the many versions of Buddhism, Taoism and Hinduism?? Buddhists don't believe in God. The meditation and Philisophical ideas are completely based on logic, reason and proof. Quantum Physics/Mechanics after all this time is now saying how the new discoveries in science happening now has been the knowledge and teaching of Tao, Buddha, etc. among other old mystics. It's not based on Paranormal ideas or invisible masters and rule makers but simply the removal of suffering from all sentient beings.

All this and much more.....Now to me that would seem a lot more rewarding, and purposeful than Atheism. Neither one believes in "God" or trying to explain it, but that seems to be where Atheism stops. Atleast Buddhism offers numberous other reasons to be a part of it. Also there are thousands of variations of Buddhism in terms of paths toward enlightenment so it's not like you're locked into some Slave Doctrine. It's about setting you free actually.

Not that I'm saying Atheism sucks or anything....Just wanted to point out that just non-belief in God really isn't all that new or special.

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by soothsayer
With all the "evidence" on this site showing how aliens have manipulted our DNA, and may have been, in fact, the truth behind angels and dieties, could it not be possible that athiests are correct? After all, more is shown in favor of alien influence than spiritual.

Granted, there is also the subject of magic and the occult. These are spiritual realms, for the most part; but, then again, since many sci-fi movies tell of evolving beyond the physical, in essence, it very well could be aliens we practice to.

Enoch showed us angels are physical beings. John Dee conversed with meta-physical creatures. And Lovecraft (even though he used archtypes) wrote of how the old gods are in fact, aliens.

I am not saying there isn't a god, or a divine creator. I just feel that most of the world is looking in the wrong place.

Am I an athiest? No, although I used to be... it wasn't until I started working with the occult did my views change. Is one belief better or more right than another? No, although I feel if one were to make the connections between ALL views, that a greater understanding will emerge.

I agree with you in that I think mankind has tended to put interpretations onto so called paranormal phenomena and constructed diverse belief systems from something that is basically one aspect of a greater picture. Why we need to bracket ourselves like this I don't know. Even the veiw that aliens created us is following the same assumptions, what are these aliens? Intergalactic creators, supernatural dieties or tricksters posing as either, or maybe just a small part of the puzzle, we smply don't know.

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Great link Jozuph. That website made some great points, all of which I agree with. I think organised Religion causes conflict and more wrong than good.

Religion is harmful because it claims knowledge of an absolute truth about what it is to be human. By definition such a claim is dangerous. It leads to immoral decision-making and excludes new insights into what it is to be human.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join