It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

West Ham United: West Ham in for Heidar Helguson?

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Sheffield United have had a bid in excess of £1m rejected for Watford's Icelandic striker Heidar Helguson. Sunderland have also had an offer turned down, and BBC Sport understands newly-promoted West Ham will now enter the race for the 27-year-old. Helguson, who scored 20 goals last season, moved to Vicarage Road for 1.5m in January 2000.

LINK

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
i dont see ur striking as ur problem, i see your midefield (minus ehtherington) and defence as your problems. A keeper i dunno bout, Walker is good but now injured for a prolongued period so im not too sure

TRD

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Premier League - - - Teddy Sheringham, ok still not bad but too old for the prem to play regular... Marlon Harewood, hrmmm, arrogant, greedy, shoots 20 times to score once, don't think he will cut it to be honest. Zamora - Looking the best of the three we have, so i say we have a bad problem upfront....

I'd say our strongest is the midfield for sure, maybe need one or two for a bit of strength in depth.

Our real problem is the defence, no left back, Elliot Ward is looking good but he is pretty young and inexperienced, same goes for Anton Ferdinand... Dailly is our most experienced... Repka might be off.... Chris Powell is still ok but is pretty damm old, Malkie M is ok as a cover and thats about it, so were really thin at the back and will get ripped apart in the Prem unless we sign about 3 pretty good defenders...

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Yeh your defence is dreadful its very thin and actually reading what you put you are probably right but then again, ur a west ham fan so you would know best hehe :d Lol.

TRD

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
To be honest its pretty scary that we are back in the Prem with the team we have. I just hope that we manage to sign a few decent players and put up a good show and don't get thumped every week, and if by some miracle we do manage to stay up i'll be the happiest person on the planet, well me and 10's of thousands of other West Ham fans lol!

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
but then wouldnt you have said tat about west brom and they stayed up.

Your best bet is some loan signings to get into the team, someone who needs 1st team football that is currently at a big club

17th this year is definately your aim though

TRD

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I did post that West Brom had a better chance than most to stay up once Robson had taken over and i don't think they will go down this season.

I'd be happy with 17th all day long!

Yep your right a few loans deals of players that just ain't making the first team from some of the bigger clubs will help us right out. Pardew doesn't look like he is going to hang about and he said last week that he has a list already of players he is targetting. Who we will get is anyones guess but a couple each from Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool would go down a treat!!

[Edited on 3/6/05 by TRD]

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Out of the four, Arsenal seems your best bet in my opinion, liverpool i cant see you getting anyone unless you go in for someone like neil mellor but you had him before. Man Utd some decent fringe players there from Arsenal, Hoyte, Aliadiere, Owusu Obeiye to name a few

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 06:12 AM
link   
this guy Helguson, has he played in the Premiership before? the ammount of goals he has banged in the Championship last season was good but its a big step up.

His average is just under a goal every 2nd match last season too which aint bad.

I remember Vialli managed him right? and i think at that point he had Helguson playing all over the place.

Is 1.5 million too much money too gamble on for West Ham cos i have no idea how much money you are supposed to have to spend to ensure premiership surival.

And yip. Sheringham aint getting any younger but hes never been that fast, just really good awareness and hmmm.. i dont really know about Harewood.

Zamora looked briliant for the team he used to play for. was it Brighton or something?

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I cant remember Helguson in the premiership, but i may be wrong.

But i think its worth a gamble, he has good goal scoring potential and would be an asset to west ham

But at the moment Zamora is the best potential striker, he played for Brighton, did great there, then went to totenham and flopped and is now at west ham

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 06:41 AM
link   
i think he was at Watford in the season they where in the premiership and i think he was there top scorer, i dont know how much or how he did to be honest.

And Zamora will have something to prove, gives him an incentive to try do really good

Sir

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Helguson is ok, wouldn't be that bad a signing if they got him at a reasonable price. We should have sold Harewood to Man City for the 3million they offered the other day. That was a good price for him..

It remains to be seen if he can cut it in the Prem, but he does score a hell of a lot of goals. You never know, he might take to the big stage and find more of the form he had at Nottingham Forest.

TRD

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Hey thats wishfull thinking in Harewood...

I've had a little read up on Helguson, he's not bad at all. But i don't think we will sign him. There is going to be alot of names thrown about, but untill the club/pardew actually states an interest then we will have to wait and see.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
yip. from what i can see he did alright in the premiership and then he got played all over the place in that team, they went down and he went down with them.

i think the lack of stirikers you have means you are going to be linked with 4 or 5. and i think only 1 of those 5 will be true probally

i think this player sounds a better option than the guy at Derby though

TRD

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
It looks like he is going to Wigan so we won't be getting him...

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
i guess Wigan have more money than West Ham though? maybe offering a better contract? it was starting to sound like he would have been a good signing aswell, and hmmm.. are they gonaa resuercet there intrest in the Derby striker?

Kevin Phillips, what about him? he was linked with celtic but we are getting this Polish guy
lol. so maybe he could sign for a million

TRD

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
We could have afforded him but maybe it was just a bit too much as Pardew has to strengthen in other departments aswell. They might still go after Rasiak as we do need another striker, but i would prefer them to concentrate on the defence first.

new topics

top topics

join