It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

West Ham United: Hammers News..!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Post all the latest on west ham,Transfers ins and outs...

Glenn looking to come Back..!

Glenn Roeder says he is "amazed" at how fit he feels just three weeks after brain surgery, and is "looking to pick up the pace," but admits that relegation was "galling."
Glenn, already working from home as he convalesces, says: "It is three weeks since I had the brain tumour removed and I am just so amazed how good I feel. The human body really is a miracle, how it can recover from a brain operation.

"For the past four or five days I have felt very strong. Admittedly in the first week after the operation wasn't particularly a good week because, as you could imagine, I didn't feel particularly strong and I didn't want to see anybody.

"There was a reasonable amount of pain coming from the area where I had the operation but the tablets have cleared that up and in almost a week now I have felt really good.

TRD

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Trevor Brooking says that the club are closely monitoring the transfer market over the summer with a view to acquisitions for next season.
"It is an ongoing one at the moment and a case of being aware of who is up for grabs. We will need to get some players in with the 10 players having dropped off the wage bill," he says.

"Five or six of those would probably have been regulars in the first 16 so we do need to have people come in, but there will still be a situation probably where one or two have to move on as well.

"Until we know who is going, who is staying, and in which positions, it is a case of keeping an eye on the comings and goings and making people aware that we might be interested.

TRD

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Young goalkeeper Steve Bywater says he will sign a new contract at West Ham - and is looking forward to facing Glenn Roeder's penalties when pre-season training starts!
Steve, one of a quartet of players whose deals have expired but have been offered new contracts, reveals that he will not be looking elsewhere for a contract this summer.

"I will get these two England under-21 games played then hopefully go to West Ham to sort things out," says Steve, preparing for Monday night's friendly with Serbia and Montenegro at Hull City - a club with whom he spent a short period on loan in 1999 - prior to the European Championship clash against Slovakia next week.

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I'm going to a wellbeing and fitness training day at West Ham on the 18th June so i'll see if I can get any inside gossip from the staff and players while I'm there!

TRD

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Yeah and a few autographs...

Any news on the hammers including insider stuff can be posted in this thread so we can keep all the hammers fans informed with whats going on...!

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I'll definately be trying to get a few autographs! Will let everyone know what I can find out.

TRD

posted on Jun, 8 2003 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I havnt got the full story yet but it seems like Trevor Brooking will assist Glen Roeder in the managerial role for next season...This will be excellent as roeder needs help in certain areas and it will take the pressure off him....

Also Les Ferdinand has pledged his commitment to the club and said it doesnt matter about money he just wants to say...

2 bits of good news their lets hope they make it official soon..!!!!

TRD

posted on Jun, 14 2003 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Tomas Repka is more than happy to stay and help West Ham's battle to get out of the first division next season - despite interest from Turkish giants Galatasaray.

Ludek Miklosko has kept in close contact with compatriot Tomas over the summer and he says:

"I spoke to him yesterday and he was very bubbly and happy; he said he has started training again and then he will take 10 days off and start training again.

"He is definitely looking forward to next season, he is forgetting everything that happened last season and is now focusing on the campaign ahead."

Of the interest from Turkey, he says:

"I think the Galatasaray manager used to be the Fiorentina manager so he knows him and maybe he tried to get him there.

"But I am not sure Tomas wants to move; I think he wants to stay at West Ham and help them back into the Premier League.

"He is a very passionate person and in his career he has not just moved from one club to another but stayed around.

"With Glen and Rufus around him he had a good last 10 or 15 games."

As for the Hammers' loss of Premiership status, he concludes:

"I have been through this once; I know it will be very difficult and hard but I am confident we can do it straight away."

TRD

posted on Jun, 14 2003 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Young midfielder David Noble has signed a new contract with West Ham, becoming the first of the four players offered new deals to put pen to paper.

David, who has featured in recent Scotland 'Future' squads and has also represented their under-21s, signed a new deal on Friday afternoon.

Says MD Paul Aldridge: "I can confirm that David has signed today and we are pleased about that.

"We look forward to him helping us achieve our aim of getting promotion at the first attempt."

David, like Daryl McMahon and Steve Bywater, revealed here after the season's end their intention to sign, but the fourth of the quartet of out of contract players Glenn Roeder wants to keep, Les Ferdinand, is as yet undecided.

Noble, originally signed on a short term contract from Arsenal in January, impressed in the reserves and, although he has yet to make the bench, did appear in some first team squads and now, obviously, intends to push on into the first team.

He already has extensive first division experience, having had a lengthy loan spell at Watford two seasons ago.

TRD

posted on Jun, 14 2003 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Ludek Miklosko is backing David James to retain his long term place in the England side - despite David Seaman's move to Manchester City this summer.

Many observers feel Seaman's move to City could rejuvenate his career in the sense it will guarantee the first team football that he might not have got had he stayed at Highbury, and Ludo says:

"I am a little bit surprised and I don't know what the strategy of Manchester City is, releasing one goalkeeper who is nearly 40 and getting another one.

"I think David James will stay number one because I don't know how David Seaman will be with his injuries; in the last couple of years he always had some injury, back problems, and shoulder problems - I am not sure."

Jamo has pledged his loyalty to the Hammers, and Ludo is delighted about that.

"I think and hope he will stay; we need to keep a strong team if we want to go back into the Premier League," he says.

Like Sven, he does not feel relegation will adversely affect his chances, and explains:

"For a goalkeeper it is a little bit different than for outfield players and I don't think one year in the first division is too bad - he can still be number one in England and play in this division.

"I think it will be very hard and, with 46 games, I think he will be busy, but I haven't spoken to him since the end of the season because he has been with the international team."

Ludo is also pleased that Steve Bywater has overcome injury problems to get back in the England U21 squad, though he didn't make the actual team that faced Slovakia on Tuesday.

"It is great for both of them; David played well in the last 20 games and I think he deserves it, and Steve as well was working very hard after his injury and played well for the reserves - I am very pleased with them both."

Ludo thinks he will stay at the club and adds:

"Steven's contract finished and he has been offered a new one so it is up to him, but I would like to keep him.

"At 21 he is still a young keeper and he still has his future in front of him."

As for his view on West Ham's loss of Premiership status, he concludes:

"It was very disappointing but that is life, it is now over, and we have to concentrate on next season, and try to get quickly back into the Premier League."

Sven-Goran Eriksson has absolved David for the free kick that Slovakia scored on Wednesday evening and explains:

"David James shouldn't get any blame for the goal; I think that we defended too deep.

"When a ball comes in like that, you have three or four people who could have headed it - none of them did, and, when we defend too deep, then it's too late for the goalkeeper when the ball passes everyone by because he is standing there and expecting someone to clear it or head it."

TRD

posted on Jun, 17 2003 @ 12:21 PM
link   
West Ham striker Frederic Kanoute has admitted he would consider a move to Tottenham following reports Glenn Hoddle has made a �3million bid.

Spurs are believed to be hot on the heels of the 25-year-old French striker, who had injury problems for much of last season, but West Ham, who are facing up to the fact they they may have to part with several of their star players following last season's relegation, are thought to want nearer �6million.

Kanoute told the London Evening Standard: "I know Tottenham have contacted my agent about a transfer.

"At this stage it is more important for the two clubs to agree financial terms before I can say whether I would join Spurs or not.

"But if they can sort out the finances, I would definitely consider the move. I have not asked to leave West Ham but, if Spurs are serious, I would listen."

Well i wont mind if he goes he can come straight back down again when spurs get relegated...lol

TRD

posted on Jun, 18 2003 @ 02:05 PM
link   
David James will get a chance to prove his American football credentials when he joins up with the Miami Dolphins later this month.

The England goalkeeper will join the NFL squad at a training camp on 24 June where he will be put through his paces as a quarter-back, wide receiver and kicker.

West Ham goalkeeper James said: "I am delighted to have been invited - it's a great opportunity to learn about more about the sport, and put myself up against some of the best athletes in the world.

"American Football has always shown the way forward in terms of conditioning and performance and I am keen to apply any tips or insights that I can gain to my career as a professional footballer."

And the NFL's leading scout in Europe, Tony Allen, believes James has all the credentials to make it in American Football. He said: "David is exactly the kind of European sports star who we feel has the all-round athleticism and ability to hold his own in the NFL.

"It will be interesting to see him being put through his paces. As we step up our search for European athletes who can develop into potential NFL players, we are excited about the Dolphins giving us the opportunity to showcase a sportsman of his physical ability in an NFL environment.....

David James..

TRD

posted on Jun, 19 2003 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Tottenham target Frederic Kanoute is optimistic his move from West Ham to White Hart Lane will go through - if the clubs can thrash out an agreement on the transfer fee.

The Hammers striker, 25, features prominently on Glenn Hoddle's summer shopping list.

But it is understood Spurs' valuation of the Frenchman is around �2million lower than the fee West Ham are looking for.

The forward has already admitted he will "consider" a switch to Spurs if the two clubs agree on his fee - and his agent today confirmed the Kanoute camp believe a deal will be finalised.

Kanoute's representative Willie McKay said: "We're hopeful the deal will happen."

Well i cant say that i will be upset if he goes,I dont think he will do that good at spurs,but a change might bring out his best but i just cant see it.

posted on Jun, 20 2003 @ 08:34 AM
link   
If he is crying about going again, get rid of him. He has potential but is getting too old to carry this tag for much longer. I don't like him as his loyalty is appalling, especially since we gave him the shot at the big time.

TRD

posted on Jun, 20 2003 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Totally agree their,he has shown no loyalty to us after we gave him the chance..he is a typical french whiner and we will be better off without him.He flatters to decieve alot of the time and has not progressed at all,maybe the chance will do him good but i hope he fails miserably if he goes...

TRD

posted on Jun, 21 2003 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Newcastle have reportedly turned down a swap deal offer involving striker Carl Cort and West Ham's Freddie Kanoute.

The Hammers, who were relegated from the Premiership last season, were also asking for a cash payment of �4m for the Frenchman, who cost the Londoners �3.7m from Lyon.

A new striker is not thought to be high on Sir Bobby Robson's summer transfer list, with Alan Shearer, Craig Bellamy, Shola Ameobi, Lomana LuaLua, Cort and Michael Chopra already vying for places.

TRD

posted on Jun, 23 2003 @ 06:03 PM
link   
August
9/8/03 Preston North End (A)
16/8/03 Sheffield United (H)
23/8/03 Rotherham United (A)
25/8/03 Bradford City (H)
30/8/03 Ipswich Town (A)
September
6/9/03 Nottingham Forest (H)
13/9/03 Reading (H)
16/9/03 Crewe Alexandra (A)
20/9/03 Gillingham (A)
27/9/03 Millwall (H)
October
1/10/03 Crystal Palace (H)
4/10/03 Derby County (A)
11/10/03 Wimbledon (A)
15/10/03 Norwich City (H)
18/10/03 Burnley (H)
25/10/03 Cardiff City (A)
November
1/11/03 Coventry City (A)
8/11/03 WBA (H)
15/11/03 Stoke City (H)
22/11/03 Watford (A)
29/11/03 Wigan Athletic (H)
December
6/12/03 WBA (A)
13/12/03 Sunderland (H)
20/12/03 Walsall (A)
26/12/03 Ipswich Town (H)
28/12/03 Nottingham Forest (A)
January
10/01/04 Preston North End (H)
17/01/04 Sheffield United (A)
31/01/04 Rotherham United (H)
February
7/2/04 Bradford City (A)
14/02/04 Wimbledon (H)
21/02/04 Norwich City (A)
28/02/04 Cardiff City (H)
March
2/03/04 Burnley (A)
6/03/04 Walsall (H)
13/03/04 Sunderland (A)
17/03/04 Crewe Alexandra (H)
20/03/04 Millwall (A)
27/03/04 Gillingham (H)
April
3/04/04 Reading (A)
10/04/04 Derby County (H)
12/04/04 Crystal Palace (A)
17/04/04 Coventry City (H)
24/04/04 Stoke City (A)
May
1/05/04 Watford (H)
9/05/04 Wigan Athletic (A)

Well thats our fixture list for the new season and their is some teams their that we havnt played in a long time,i expect a good season and a automatic promotion place for The Hammers...!!!!

TRD

posted on Jul, 9 2003 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Trevor Sinclair is expected to become the first player to quit relegated West Ham when he signs for Middlesbrough this week.

The Hammers need to reduce their wage bill after dropping into the first division, and Sinclair is keen to remain in the Premiership in a bid to keep alive his England career.

Boro boss Steve McClaren wants to strengthen his midfield and is an admirer of 30-year-old Sinclair, who is set to move for a fee in the region of �2million.

Sinclair was believed to be travelling to the north east to discuss personal terms with Boro on Wednesday, and McClaren believes his arrival will signal the Teessiders' ambition to launch themselves into the top six next season.

McClaren and Sinclair worked together on England duty and during the World Cup last summer, and forged a good relationship, which is one of the keys to the deal.

Sinclair knows that to cling on to his England spot and stand a chance of being involved in Euro 2004 he needs to be at a Premiership club and, with McClaren at the helm, Boro is his first choice.

McClaren wants the winger as a replacement for Real Madrid star Geremi who he accepts is now certain to stay in Spain following his hugely successful loan spell at the Riverside last year.

Well after last season i wont mind seeing the back of Sinclair,but he has done well for West Ham over previous seasons..It just seemed as soon as he got picked for England and signed his new contract he thought he was Mr Big all of a sudden and didnt seem to try his best.....

So if Sinclair goes i wont be too disappointed.....

TRD

posted on Jul, 11 2003 @ 04:48 PM
link   
West Ham United can confirm that, following discussions with Glen Johnson and his advisors, we have accepted an offer for an undisclosed transfer fee from Chelsea FC.

Glen has been given permission to discuss personal terms with Chelsea FC.

Until the conclusion of these negotiations, West Ham United have no further comment on this situation.

This is really bad news Glen has to be one of the best talents at the club,he will turn out to be a fantastic player and he was one that didnt want to go...It looks like he will and only has to sort out personal terms with Chelsea...

What is West Ham doing?? I cant believe it this is so tyrical West Ham selling off the best players,so who will go next??

The way we are going we will be not be getting promotion in the new season....

TRD

posted on Jul, 12 2003 @ 03:25 PM
link   
West Ham starlet Anton Ferdinand will be asked to plug the gap left by Glen Johnson's departure for Chelsea.

Anton plays at center back but according to West Ham they have been playing him at right back for nearly a year now...Well what the hell is all that about did they have it planned that Johnson would go as soon as he played a few 1st team games and was grooming Anton to take the right back spot....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join