It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everton: Naysmith Frustrated On Everton Bench

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Scotland defender Gary Naysmith has admitted that his lack of action at Everton has added to Berti Vogts' list of worries.

Injuries have already robbed the Scots of Jackie McNamara, Malky Mackay and Nigel Quashie for Saturday's Hampden Park showdown with Norway, although the latter may return in time for next Wednesday's trip to Moldova.

Naysmith has been unable to get back into the Everton side after being sent off in August and that has left him without even reserve games under his belt ahead of such an important double header.

He said: "It is frustrating because if I am not playing for Everton, Berti won't be able to pick me for Scotland.

"You never know how it will actually affect you until you play the game. The big thing about playing at home is the adrenaline.

"It's a World Cup game, it's a sell-out. That can carry you through the 90 minutes when you start tiring after 70. Hopefully that will be the case on Saturday."

In fact, the only match Naysmith will have played was the bounce game against Celtic's under-18 team that the squad took part in on Tuesday.

He said: "It was 30 minutes each way and everyone looked okay but that is slightly different from playing 90 minutes against Norway."

Everton team-mate James McFadden has also been unable to persuade Goodison supremo David Moyes to pick him.

Naysmith said: "I am disappointed for James. I would not say he is going through a rough patch but he is just not getting the chance to play just now.

"He is just coming on for 10 or 20 minutes here or there. He is champing at the bit to show people what he can do.

"It is hard for him though because he has not had a proper run in the side since he signed.

"He is frustrated but he has just got to keep his head down, keep training as he is training and it will eventually turn around for him.

"Davie Moyes has got a job to do at Everton and the national team is secondary for him.

"He will do what is best for Everton but you will always get a chance in football."

Team Talk

He's a good player, wouldn't mind taking him on loan.

TRD

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Everton have dismissed claims that defender Gary Naysmith has turned down a new three-year contract, with his current deal due to expire in the summer.

Chief executive Keith Wyness said: "Discussions between ourselves and Gary's representatives are continuing and we are looking at the possibility of extending his contract."

Naysmith, meanwhile, looks set to return to full training within 48 hours following a knee problem he sustained whilst on international duty for Scotland against Moldova last Wednesday.

He was sidelined for Saturday's win over Southampton but will be back in the squad for the weekend trip to Norwich.

Sportinglife

new topics

join