It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Taos Hum?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I recently read an article related to this mysterious phenomena and I got curious. I did a search on ATS and found that this topic has not been discussed in detail. So I decided to start this thread.

I found these articles and it peaked my interest:

People Hearing Persistent, Mysterious Hum Aren't Alone

www.subversiveelement.com...

So my question is what do you guys make of this phenomena?

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 11:14 PM
link   
1) www.crystalinks.com...
The 'Taos Hum' is a low-pitched sound heard in numerous places worldwide, especially in the USA, UK, and northern europe. It is usually heard only in quiet environments. The low hum - between 30 and 80 Hz on the frequency scale - is often described as sounding like a distant diesel engine idling in the distance. Since it has proven indetectable by microphones or VLF antennae, its source and nature remains a mystery. Not everyone can hear the low-pitched hum, and those who do say that it seems artificial in nature - and is driving them crazy.

2) www.qsl.net...
Citizens in Britain and portions of the Southwestern U.S. have been complaining about a maddening hum that just won't go away. And researchers have been unable to pinpoint its source. Not everyone can hear the low-pitched hum, and those who do say that it seems artificial in nature - and is driving them crazy.

3) homepages.tesco.net...
There have been persistent complaints of annoying low frequency sounds in the USA and other countries but the group of "hearers" in Taos has been particularly outspoken. In 1993 they got the attention of the New Mexico congressional delegation resulting in a request for an investigation. Many Taos residents feel that the government may somehow be involved in the sound, so the investigation was open and public. One of the authors, Joe Mullins of the University of New Mexico served as the team coordinator. The team included Rod Whitaker (Los Alamos National Laboratory), Mark Leher (Phillips Air Force Laboratory) and Horace Poteet (Sandia National Laboratories) James Kelly, a hearing research scientist from the University of New Mexico's Health Sciences Center, joined the team later to provide expertise on the human ear.

4) www.fiu.edu...
Since 1991, people in the Taos, New Mexico area have reported hearing an annoying, low-frequency hum, the cause of which has yet to be identified (Ufologist, Vol.2, No.3, 1992). Recent reports suggest that the Hum is not merely localized to Taos, but may be a nationwide, or perhaps even worldwide, problem.

5) www.science-frontiers.com...
Over the years, we have reported on the British hum (SF#36) and the Sausalito hum (SF#42). The latter has been attributed to mating toadfish in the harbor; the former to an underground network of gas pipelines. We have resisted reporting other hums. However, a recently reported hum possesses some interesting features. It is called the Taos hum, and it has been bothering some sensitive individuals in the U.S. Southwest:

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I've heard about the "Taos Hum" for years then, about a year ago I actually went to Taos. I didn't go there to investigate the hum though, I went there for an art show. While I was there I didn't notice a hum, just alot of new age weirdos. Some of them tried to convince me that the area was an energy vortex like that one place (can't remember the name, also in NM). I think that they were putting something in their tea.

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotTooHappy
I've heard about the "Taos Hum" for years then, about a year ago I actually went to Taos. I didn't go there to investigate the hum though, I went there for an art show. While I was there I didn't notice a hum, just alot of new age weirdos. Some of them tried to convince me that the area was an energy vortex like that one place (can't remember the name, also in NM). I think that they were putting something in their tea.

Hmm But what are your theories as to what you think the "HUM" may be? Do you think its a load of crap or is there actually something to it?

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Wow..maybe the hum is a divine being subconsciously talking to you. . .thoughts?

-wD

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I really don't know. It might be an ultrahigh/low resonation that only certain people can hear. Kinda like the noise a TV makes when it's on. It's not really a noise, it's kinda like a physical sensation that only your ears can pickup.

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 11:28 PM
link   
What I find interesting about the whole thing is that the Hum is only heard in certain parts of the world only. From what ive read people say it sounds like a diesel truck engine running or a low hum noise.

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Yeah, that's what I've heard too. That it's a low dull hum. I don't know what could cause it though or, why only certain people can hear it.

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 11:34 PM
link   
You know thats really weird, I just had my medical done yesterday, and had a heartest done aswell.
My hearing test was perfect.
But at times I can hear a low pitched hum in my head.
Maybe im just paranoid, but im gonna look up into this.
Deep

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 11:42 PM
link   
What do you guys think of the theory that these sounds are being produced by underground facilities that are reported to be in many areas in New Mexico.

Could it be that these humming sounds are being produced by some TOP SECRET PROJECT being carried out by the Military (DOD) etc..?

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Im keen to think it might be some technical eqiupment, or just hearing problems.
Deep

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
Im keen to think it might be some technical eqiupment, or just hearing problems.
Deep

Hearing Problems? But thousands of people reported hearing the "hum". Surely you dont think that all of them have hearing problems.

jra

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 03:22 AM
link   
One of the things this makes me think about is the hum i hear in my town. At night if it's quiet enough you can hear a somewhat constant hum. Though i know where this comes from. The trans canada highway goes right through my town so you can always hear the sound of fast moving vehicles driving down it.

i don't know what the taos hum sounds like exactly, but it could be something like that or some other man made thing that could be unintentionaly generating some low frequency hum

just did a quick search. here's a map of the area around taos: angam.ang.univie.ac.at... the road marked in red is route 66 i assume. i have no idea how busy it is, but that could be one possibility.

another idea came to mind. electrical facilities, i'm sure they would put out a hum of some sort. like when you're near those big powerlines and you can hear the hum. I also noticed NM has some of these...

those things are huge and i'm sure if you had a few dozen spinning, it would make some kind of noise. I just read that NM has the worlds 3rd largest wind generation project. it consists of 136 turbines. more info here: www.pnm.com... they seem to be in the De Baca and Quay Counties though.

it's something to consider.

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure it's simply the Langoliers....

Run, ya lazy bastards!!!

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 01:14 PM
link   
George Knapp a television reporter for KLAS television out of Las Vegas did a report here on the Pahrump hum.
I believe that was about 5-6 years ago. The people in the valley complained of a humming sound.

I'm in the foothills over-looking the Pahrump Valley. The funny thing is at that time I was using generators up here. (Wonders if that could have been their humming sound??

top topics

join