It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chelsea: Mourhino - Terry here to stay

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho insists captain John Terry will never leave the Premiership leaders.

The Portuguese tactician has been impressed by the performances and leadership the England centre back has shown this season.

Terry's form has earned him a call-up for England's friendly with Holland on Wednesday and Mourinho stated he can see the defender ending his career at Stamford Bridge.

"John is invaluable and the kind of player who will never leave Chelsea," Terry said. "I think he will end his career here.

"He loves Chelsea. He is happy here.

"He only lives only 100 meters from the training ground and it will be very difficult to take him away from Chelsea.

"The player that he is and what he means to this club, well�I tell you, he is a player without price.

"Four months ago, we gave him a fantastic new contract, even before he became the amazing player he now is."

Mourinho also went on to insist that he does not have a problem with the physical nature of the game in England.

The Portuguese coach was left enraged by approach of Blackburn in his side's win at Ewood Park last Tuesday, with Arjen Robben forced from the pitch with a serious-looking injury and several flashpoints between both sets of players.

However, Mourinho claims he enjoys the hurly-burly of life in The Premiership, but believes referees have a duty to protect players from overly-aggressive treatment.

"I have always loved that aggression and that part of the British game. I always love it and respect it," he continued.

"I admire the way English teams and English players compete for a result and sometimes in difficult circumstances.

"I was always a big fan of that spirit, so I don`t complain. But you have to respect and try to defend the quality of the game also.

"I think a referee is not just there to make correct decisions, it is also about the way the game goes.

"Sometimes a yellow card can show the players that the referee wants to protect the game and the quality of the game."

With The Blues still on course for an unprecedented quadruple, goalkeeper Petr Cech stated the club's opening win of the season against Manchester United gave his side the belief they can beat anyone.

The Czech international has been in stellar form for The Blues since arriving from French club Rennes back in the summer.

The 22-year-old believes Chelsea have responded to every test that has been set in front them this season.

"From the beginning, it was difficult for us with so many new players, but because of team spirit and the power of the team in the dressing room, we could start playing well straight away," Cech told the Sunday Mirror.

"Maybe one of the keys was the game against United. After this game - even with 10 new players - we knew we could compete against anybody.

"The second was the game after we had lost to Manchester City, when everyone was hoping we would drop more points, but we came back very well."

sky sports

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
with all the money chelsea have, its unlikely the can buy a defendef who will be better than terry. hes been a rock and a chelsea player through and through.

hes a good foundation to have in the defense to build apon

TRD

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Terry seems to have settled down nicely now, he went through a little patch when Ranieri was there but that seems behind him. He is turning out to be one of the best defenders in England and Europe...

Sir

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I hope he stays he is turning out to be one of the best defenders in England. Would be a shame if he moves abroad as we want our best players to stay in England.

top topics

join