It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chelsea: Jose Mourinho may be ready to spend

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Jose Mourinho has raised the prospect of another Chelsea spending spree by declaring: "I am down to my last 16 outfield players."

The Stamford Bridge chief has clearly indicated in recent weeks that he would probably not be entering the January sales, but after Didier Drogba's stuttering performance in the slightly streaky win at Portsmouth where co-striker Mateja Kezman was not even on the substitutes' bench, things could change.

Arjen Robben and substitute Joe Cole both scored to notch Chelsea's win after Pompey's belligerence and guts had matched the Barclays Premiership leaders' guile for most of the way.

But Mourinho admitted: "With (Celestine) Babayaro and (Scott) Parker both injured I have just 16 outfield players. That is not many.

"We have had to play two matches in three days which is foreign to many of them and although I understand the traditions of football here at this time of year, it is not good for your health to do it.

"You can sit back and smoke cigars, one after another, and it is a good life, but it is not actually good for you."

The Portuguese European Cup winner would not comment on whether he will utilise more of Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich's vast fortune on strengthening an already talent-laden squad.

But, let's face it, Chelsea's bill for new players since the Russian oil billionaire took over is already pushing £180 million, and they can buy almost anybody they want.

Sportinglife

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   
it sounds like hes considering investing in the team, 16 players and he will think, i want to win the league and he cant do it with a depleted squad. looks like joaquin is very much a reality then

TRD

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 07:23 AM
link   
As if thye wouldn't spend anything, i expect at least 3 new players to join the Russian Revolution at Chelski!

Roman has to lose cash somehow and it will be burning a hole in his pocket!

new topics

join