It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chelsea: Kezman keen to break his duck

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Chelsea striker Mateja Kezman is backing himself to break his goalscoring duck with the Blues sooner rather than later. The 25-year-old summer signing from PSV Eindhoven has yet to register in 11 appearances for Chelsea, but is confident that things will come good.

He told BBC Sport: "I am still very confident because I am the type of person who is strong mentally.

"I will just keep fighting for the first goal and then I will be okay. It is just a period of settling. I am new in the Premiership.

"It is a different type of football with new team-mates, a new public and all things new so you feel pressure.

"In Holland I had almost the same problem in the first few matches when I didn't score and then after the first goal all the pressure was gone."

Kezman has also earned the backing of Stamford Bridge team-mates Frank Lampard and John Terry.

4thegame

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Strange Van Nistelrooy of Man United didn't have that problem. Come to think of it neither did Dennis Bergkamp.

TRD

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Nor did Henry....

But can you name Kezman in the same breath as them players?

Although he is not that bad, he isn't world class imo.....

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 06:39 AM
link   
i assume by "breaking his duck" means that he hasn't scored a goal yet. i have never heard this term...any idea of where this came from?

TRD

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Yeah it means finally scoring a goal....

To be honest i don't know where the term came from Toejam.

They use the term in cricket aswell when a player hasn't scored a run and he gets out..Also you get a golden duck if they are out on the first ball.

TRD

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Mateja Kezman believes he can go on a goalscoring spree after finally opening his account for Chelsea.

The former PSV Eindhoven striker scored the matchwinner in the 57th minute to give Chelsea victory over West Ham in the Carling Cup third round at Stamford Bridge last night.

Kezman looked to have been frustrated again after spurning three gilt-edged chances but his crisp shot from Joe Cole's sublime pass enabled him to finally get off the mark in England. The cut he nursed above his left-eye, courtesy of an object thrown from the West Ham section of the crowd in the 77th minute, didn't stop the happy Serb from talking about the end of a worrying goal drought.

Sportinglife

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
am sure the goal would have been a huge confidence booster, he scored goals a plenty in holland, i think in england its tougher, but he will do well

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
am sure the goal would have been a huge confidence booster, he scored goals a plenty in holland, i think in england its tougher, but he will do well

TRD

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Yeah he is a decent striker and you could see how much he wanted that goal. If he starts firing on all cylinders they are going to challenge the gooners all the way...

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
i think his rate is about the same as van nistelrooy when he played in holland. just think if he scored as consitelntly as he does

top topics

join