It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chelsea: Report: Premiership player has tested positive

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
TRD

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
A Premiership player has tested positive for a banned substance, according to the Mail on Sunday.

The report claims the player tested positive after a test conducted by UK Sport.

The Football Association refused to comment on the report on Sunday.

The FA intend to tighten their doping programme after Rio Ferdinand's missed drugs test in 2003.

In July it was announced that the FA planned to increase the number of tests in the 2004-05 season by 20% after a review by Lord Coe.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
wonder who it was?

TRD

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Chelsea striker Adrian Mutu will try and remain optimistic while he tries to prove his innocence after it was revealed he had failed a drugs test, according to his agent.

The Romanian international, whose future at Chelsea was already uncertain after a bust-up with manager Jose Mourinho, returned to London on Monday to await the result of a B sample after a positive test for a non-performance enhancing drug came to light on Sunday.

While the situation is on-going Mutu will be absent from training but Victor Becali said his client was determined he had not committed any offence.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
hey, was talking about this at work the other day

thinking and we thought, maybe mourinho thought he was a bit dodgy since the start and that why he wanted to get rid of him and maybe one of the reasons why they dont get along?

TRD

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Yes we did the same, wondered if he was a bit of a playboy.

Makes sense now.

His career is more than likely finished in the prem now.

TRD

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Chelsea striker Adrian Mutu is to undergo psychological counselling as he looks to get his football career back on track following his positive test for coc aine.

The 25-year-old is understood to have flown to Rome after seeing a Football Association doctor and his agent Victor Becali on Wednesday revealed his client is to start a daily process of counselling.

Becali said: "Mutu will start a programme of psychological counselling in London, probably on Friday. This programme will be for one hour daily.

"He has understood what has happened to him and he is very co-operative. Mutu seems to be getting his normal attitude back after spending some very bad days."

Mutu has agreed to seek professional help after watching his career hit the rocks within 12 months.

TRD

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Troubled Chelsea striker Adrian Mutu has denied taking coc aine, but admitted to taking another illegal substance.

TRD

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   
FIFA maintain any decision over Adrian Mutu's failed drugs test lies firstly with domestic sporting authorities, but will be monitoring the situation closely.

The Chelsea striker is likely to face a suspension after he tested positive for a banned substance - said by the Professional Footballers Association to be coc aine. He is understood to have begun counselling for his drug abuse problem.

FIFA's disciplinary code stipulates that a first doping offence should be followed by a six-month ban.

"It is a matter which is currently in the hands of UK Sport and The FA," FIFA spokesman Andreas Herren said.

"We will simply wait and see what comes out.

"There is no reason to make any other comment apart from pointing out the FIFA disciplinary code, which we would see to be adhered too."

TRD

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
The Football Association are continuing to consider what action to take against Adrian Mutu following his failed drugs test, as Sports Minister Richard Caborn calls on them to maintain a tough stance with the Chelsea striker.

Although Professional Footballers Association chief Gordon Taylor claimed Mutu tested positive for coc aine, the Chelsea striker has since indicated he did not take the Class A drug but instead used a substance aimed at improving his sexual performance.

Neither The FA nor Chelsea has made any official statement on the matter and no charges have yet been brought against the former Parma striker - who is understood to have begun counselling as part of his rehabilitation. None of Mutu's representatives was available for comment.

Sportinglife

TRD

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Jose Mourinho has defended Chelsea's decision to sack Adrian Mutu - then revealed for several months he had concerns the striker might be taking drugs.

The Barclays Premiership club announced on Friday morning they had enforced their 'zero tolerance' stance on drugs by terminating the Romanian striker's contract on grounds of gross misconduct after his admission he had taken an illegal substance following a positive test.

Chelsea, though, have come in for strong criticism from the Professional Footballers' Association, whose chief executive Gordon Taylor accused the club of target-testing Mutu "with a view to getting rid of him" and insisted they had a "duty of care" to aid the striker in his rehabilitation.

Some 12million has effectively now been written off by the Stamford Bridge outfit following their decision to terminate Mutu's contract.

They have not ruled out seeking to pursue a claim for compensation in an attempt to recoup some of the loss they have sustained on a player bought for 15.8million from Parma just over a year ago.

Mourinho, however, maintained the club's choice of action was the right one.

Sportinglife

TRD

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Adrian Mutu has spoken for the first time about his shock and despair at being sacked by Chelsea - and claims he could now walk away from football.

The Blues enforced their 'zero tolerance' stance on drugs by terminating the Romanian striker's contract on grounds of gross misconduct after his admission he had taken an illegal substance following a positive test.

Sportinglife
The 25-year-old faces a ban of at least six months when the Football Association sit in judgement on his case.

Mutu told the Sunday Mirror: "Chelsea have destroyed me - I don't know what I am going to do. I am shocked and surprised by their decision.

"I didn't expect them to pay me while I was suspended but I never thought they would sack me either.

"Why didn't they wait to do this? Now my career is in ruins.

"I might as well walk away from football. What is there left for me?"

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
yer, looks like mourhino knew something was dodgy since he walked into chelsea. he did well to keep it all quiet for so long though than reports getting leaked out.

i wonder, if he did go to junventus or something, if he would have been caught then

TRD

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Looks like they had it in for him for ages by what the papers and that are saying.

Bit harsh to just sack him like that. He was under contract they should have helped him, not dump him.

But it was strange as when Abramovich first went to Chelsea he made a point himself that they was to buy Mutu. And arn't they meant to be friends?

TRD

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Adrian Mutu is set to accept punishment from the Football Association without appeal - but is preparing legal action after allegations exaggerating extent of his drug abuse.

The 25-year-old, sacked by Chelsea on Friday for failing a drug test, admits to taking a prohibited substance but has been upset after a number of "fictitious and highly damaging stories".

The striker, signed by the west London club in 2003 from Parma, claimed to be suffering from personal difficulties when he took the substance.

A statement from Mutu's solicitors given to the Press Association read: "Suggestions in the press that he had taken this substance just before playing football or that he played with it in his system are completely untrue.

"So too are the reports of his criticism of Chelsea or those stating he wants to leave football."

Graham Atkins' statement added: "As his solicitor, I am instructed to consider appropriate legal action against several publications as a result of these allegations."

Sportinglife

TRD

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Adrian Mutu is expected to be suspended for between six and eight months when he appears before a Football Association disciplinary hearing on Thursday.

The 25-year-old Romanian striker tested positive for a banned substance last month and has been sacked by Chelsea after he confessed to using drugs.

Under FIFA rules, the FA must impose a minimum six-month suspension but it is unlikely to be more than eight months for several reasons.

Firstly, Mutu has admitted the offence, has already booked in for rehab and will not appeal against the punishment.

Goalkeeper Mark Bosnich, who was also sacked by Chelsea after testing positive for coc aine, was suspended for nine months by the FA but unlike Mutu he contested the case and did not show remorse.

Secondly, Rio Ferdinand was banned for eight months for failing to take a test, and if the FA impose a stiffer punishment for social drug use it could send out a message to users that they might be better off missing a test.

Finally, coc aine use is not banned by WADA out of competition and therefore the FA are able to resist Government pressure for the world anti-doping body's two-year minimum ban for a first offence to be applied.

Sportinglife

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
But it was strange as when Abramovich first went to Chelsea he made a point himself that they was to buy Mutu. And arn't they meant to be friends?

i have noticed its mourinho doing all the talking and roman keeeping quiet. i think its kinda known though he is a bit of a crook

TRD

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Chelsea have accused the FA of being "weak on the issue of drugs" after Adrian Mutu was handed a seven-month ban following his positive drugs test.

Mutu, who was also fined £20,000, must first complete a programme of "education and rehabilitation" before he can hope to rebuild his career.

He will also be target-tested during his suspension, which was backdated to start on October 25 and will expire at the end of the current domestic campaign on May 18, 2005.

However, that is shorter than the nine months previously handed out to Mark Bosnich, although the Australian refused to accept his guilt in a similar case, as well as the eight months given to Rio Ferdinand for missing a test.

At least in theory it leaves the Romania captain available for his country's World Cup qualifiers against Holland on June 4 and Armenia on June 8, even if he would be desperately short of match-fitness.

Sportinglife

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by rynaldo82

Originally posted by TRD

i have noticed its mourinho doing all the talking and roman keeeping quiet. i think its kinda known though he is a bit of a crook

lol Roman a crook. Where the F*** have you been. It's about time they enforced this zero tolerance rule for drugs. In the olympics drug testing is a big issue, but it just goes to show that in Italy no one cares whether the players take performance enhancing drugs.

Drugs of any sort have no place in sports.

TRD

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Adrian Mutu's agent Gheorghe Popescu has claimed his client will join a new club within a matter of weeks.

The disgraced Chelsea striker, who was sacked by The Blues at the end of last month and banned for seven months, is available on a free transfer.

Popescu is in talks with a number of clubs and is hoping a swift solution can be found regarding Mutu's future.

The Romanian will not be returning to his homeland or joining a Ukraine outfit, but instead will be penning a deal with a major European force.

Skysports

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
hmmm..so he signs for a team and cant play for 7 months, dont sound like a good deal for the club

there also a story about roma, that he wants to play for them

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join