It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chelsea: Chelsea...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Graeme Souness hopes Damien Duff's move to Chelsea will fall through but admits he will "understand it if he chooses to go" to Stamford Bridge.

After rejecting three previous bids from the Blues, Blackburn Rovers on Wednesday agreed a fee of �17m cash for the Republic of Ireland winger.

The 24-year-old had been all set to fly out to America with the rest of his teammates for the club's pre-season tour before the successful offer came in.

Souness told Sky Sports News: "When we arrived at the airport yesterday morning and checked in, Damien checked his bags through.

"Unfortunately for us, Chelsea have made an offer which triggers the clause in his contract that enables him to speak to them.

"They've offered a great deal of money for him and he's now talking to them. We hope that they can't come to an agreement and he'll be flying out here but we'll have to wait and see.

"It's going to be a difficult decision for Damien and I can understand it if he chooses to go to Chelsea because right now Chelsea are the big team in the world in terms of spending money.

"I'm sure he'll be offered a great deal of money to go there, but we still hope he'll be with us this year."

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Cardiff's hopes of signing Jody Morris have been dashed after the player had a change of heart and decided against a move to Ninian Park.

City boss Lennie Lawrence had been confident of snapping up the 24-year-old on a free transfer after already taking Tony Vidmar and John Robinson to the club this summer.

However, Lawrence received a call on Wednesday night informing him that Morris had pulled out of the proposed deal.

Lawrence told the club's official website: "It has come as a complete shock, totally out of the blue."

The Bluebirds now believe that Morris is in talks with Premiership newcomers Portsmouth about a switch to Fratton Park.

Morris was released by Chelsea in May after coming through the ranks at Stamford Bridge and making 173 first-team appearances in all competitions, scoring nine goals.

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Eidur Gudjohnsen has spoken of his delight after putting pen to paper on a one-year contract extension, keeping him at Chelsea until 2006.

The Iceland striker has been the subject of some intense speculation over recent months, with Manchester United, amongst others, thought to be keen to sign him.

However, after agreeing a new deal at the end of last season, the former Bolton frontman has finally committed his long-term future to Stamford Bridge.

"There's been speculation going on for months about my future so I'm just glad that it's over. I've always stated how much I enjoy it here and hopefully we're going into a great season,'' he said.

"I'm delighted that my future is at Chelsea and the people at the club see it that way. These are exciting times for the fans and the club in general. I'm looking forward to seeing where this will take the club."

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Geremi set his sights on title success with Chelsea after sealing his �7m move to Stamford Bridge as Roman Abramovich's second transfer swoop.

Just 24 hours after the Blues announced West Ham defender Glen Johnson as the first signing since Abramovich took over, it was Geremi's turn in the limelight.

The 24-year-old midfielder, for whom a fee was agreed with Real Madrid last week, signed a lucrative five-year contract at Stamford Bridge after agreeing personal terms and passing a medical.

He had impressed coach Claudio Ranieri with his performances for Middlesbrough while on loan at The Riverside last season, where he even scored against Chelsea.

Indeed, Ranieri named him on the right side of midfield in his Premiership team of the season before making a move for him when Boro could not afford Real's asking price.

After signing, Geremi, who has already tasted Champions League success with the Spanish club, immediately set his sights on lifting further trophies at Stamford Bridge.

He said: "I have got a lot of ambition. I would like to win a lot of titles. That's why I have come here. I know that Chelsea are going to sign big players. That's good for all of us and let's see what happens.

"I'm really happy to come to one of the bigger teams in the Premier League. They have big players and when you play with big players, it's easier as they can understand everything."

Although Chelsea have now lost their main dead-ball expert in Gianfranco Zola, Geremi is hoping to fill the free-kick void.

"Zola is one of the best free-kick takers. I also try to do the same as him. You have to work hard and improve every day. I will try to do that at Chelsea," he added on Chelsea TV.

TRD

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Blackburn winger Damien Duff expects to sign for Chelsea tonight, according to Sky Sports News.

Duff is a quality player...Chelsea are building up to a good squad and if they can get them player together quick enough they could well be challenging for the Title...

TRD

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Le Saux leaves as part of the package to sign Wayne Bridge...

TRD

posted on Jul, 26 2003 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Chelsea have failed in an audacious bid to sign Raul from Real Madrid.

The Spain striker was asked whether he would consider a transfer to the ambitious Barclaycard Premiership club, who inherited instant wealth when Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich bought up Ken Bates' majority shareholding recently.

But Raul turned Chelsea down flat, insisting he would never leave the Primera Liga champions to join the Stamford Bridge outfit.

Raul's agent, Gines Carvajal, said: "FIFA agent Marc Roger, on behalf of Chelsea, asked me if Raul would be interested in entering negotiations for a transfer to Chelsea.

"I spoke to Raul, my client, and he said 'no'.

"He's not interested in leaving Real Madrid. Raul's buy-out clause is 180 million euros (�128million)."

Raul, whose current contract expires in June 2005, is currently on tour with Madrid in the Far East.

Jeeze i dont care what anyone say's no player is worth �128 million.....

TRD

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Chelsea are considering whether to raise their offer for midfielder Emerson after Roma revealed they had already refused a �17.5 million bid from the Blues for the Brazil captain.

Claudio Ranieri needs an influential midfield spark for his new-look team, with Frank Lampard and Emmanuel Petit, whose pre-season training has been interrupted by injury, now his only recognised central midfielders.

Ranieri has been tracking Juan Sebastian Veron, with reports suggesting that the Chelsea boss could persuade owner Roman Abramovich to increase his offer to Manchester United.

He is also interested in Emerson, whose place in Brazil's midfield at the World Cup was taken at the last minute by Gilberto Silva when he sustained a freak training ground injury.

However, just a week after setting a club record transfer fee of �17million for Damien Duff, Chelsea would have to break new ground again if they are to make the Brazilian their fifth major summer signing.

TRD

posted on Aug, 7 2003 @ 02:55 PM
link   
England midfielder Joe Cole has admitted leaving relegated West Ham to join Claudio Ranieri's Chelsea revolution was the hardest decision of his life.

Cole and Juan Sebastian Veron wer unveiled at a Stamford Bridge press conference, the latest recruits to the Chelsea cause which has seen new club owner Roman Abramovich splash out over �60million in the transfer market.

Abramovich's free-spending policy could make Chelsea serious title contenders this season, but Cole insists the decision to turn his back on First Division West Ham for one of the Premiership's big-guns was still very difficult.

TRD

posted on Aug, 7 2003 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Chelsea boss Claudio Ranieri claims he has signed "the best midfielder in the world" with the �15million capture of Juan Sebastian Veron from Manchester United.

And Ranieri said he was "sure" that Veron would play better for Chelsea than he did for United, who paid �28.1million for the Argentinian.

The arrival of Veron and Joe Cole - signed for �6.6million from West Ham - has taken Chelsea's summer spending since Roman Abramovich's takeover of the club to just short of �60million.

But Ranieri scotched speculation that Inter Milan striker Christian Vieri was about to join the stampede of players heading to Stamford Bridge - "I think Christian will stay at Inter" - and admitted that Chelsea's heavy outlay on players did not guarantee success this season.

TRD

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Bordeaux's Russian midfielder Alexei Smertin is reported to have become the latest recruit by big-spending Chelsea.

The 28-year-old midfielder, who can also play in defence, has been trying to find a club this week and looked set to return home to Torpedo Moscow.

However, this weekend he is reported to have been in contact with Chelsea who have money to spend since Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich took over the club.

The Gazzetta dello Sport website reported on Sunday that a deal has been tied up for �6million to take Smertin to Stamford Bridge.

TRD

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Chelsea hope to complete the signing of Hernan Crespo from Inter Milan in the next few days.

Talks between the two clubs ended on Friday without agreement but the Italian giants are believed to be ready to part with the striker if Chelsea offer enough money.

With new owner Roman Abramovich already pumping almost �75million into players since buying the club, money is not much of a consideration at Stamford Bridge.

TRD

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Argentina striker Hernan Crespo is set to sign his contract with new club Chelsea on Tuesday.

Crespo will become Chelsea's latest summer signing in the next 36 hours following the agreement reached between Inter Milan and Roman Abramovich's club for the transfer of the 28-year-old to Stamford Bridge.

Meanwhile, Chelsea have confirmed the purchase of Russian midfielder Alexei Smertin from Bordeaux for �3.45million.

TRD

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Hernan Crespo became Chelsea's ninth major summer signing as he took Roman Abramovich's spending spree close to the �100m mark.

Crespo had jogged around the Stamford Bridge pitch for almost an hour in the build-up to the club's Champions League final qualifying round tie against MSK Zilina.

When the half-time interval came, the Argentina international striker strode onto the pitch to be introduced to fervent applause.

Although a fee has not yet been official revealed, 28-year-old Crespo - who passed a medical earlier today - is hoping to receive his international clearance in time for this weekend's game against Blackburn.

His arrival from Inter Milan comes hot on the heels of the capture of Russian midfielder Alexei Smertin from Bordeaux for �3.45million.

TRD

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Chelsea secured their place back among the Champions League elite as Roman Abramovich took his summer spending to �100 million with the acquisition of Hernan Crespo.

The Argentina international forward, who cost an estimated �17 million, was introduced to the Stamford Bridge crowd at half-time during their Champions League final qualifying round tie against MSK Zilina.

The Blues, who already had a 2-0 lead from the first leg, made sure of victory with Glen Johnson and Robert Huth scoring their first senior goals, while Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink also found the net in a 3-0 victory.

TRD

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Chelsea striker Mikael Forssell has joined Barclaycard Premiership rivals Birmingham on a four-month loan.

The 22-year-old Finnish international could stay at St Andrews for the remainder of the season if manager Claudio Ranieri and Blues boss Steve Bruce agree to extend the deal.

Capped eight times by his country, the six foot striker has been used mainly as a substitute by Chelsea but has still scored 12 goals in 51 appearances.

Forssell spent two separate loan spells at Crystal Palace where he scored 18 goals in 54 appearances.

He spent the final four months of last season on loan at German side Borussia Moenchengladbach where he made 12 appearances in the Bundesliga, scoring seven goals.

TRD

posted on Aug, 29 2003 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Chelsea are continuing their pursuit of Claude Makelele despite Real Madrid demanding in excess of �13.8million for the Frenchman.

Real general director Jorge Valdano insists it will take at least that sum - equating to 20million euros - to prise the midfielder away from the Bernabeu.

But the Londoners have not been put off by the asking price.

Blues boss Claudio Ranieri revealed negotiations are ongoing and the deal could just beat the summer transfer deadline which has been extended from Sunday night to 5pm on Monday.

Makelele would become the 10th major signing by Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich, taking his outlay - currently standing at �94.55million - through the �100million barrier.

TRD

posted on Aug, 29 2003 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Chelsea are set to add another player to their growing squad by signing Tottenham goalkeeper Neil Sullivan.

Scottish international Sullivan will be released by Spurs and is set to undergo a medical at Stamford Bridge today...

TRD

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Claude Makelele's agent claims the midfielder's transfer to Chelsea is "very unlikely" because of a new dispute between the player and his current club Real Madrid.

Both clubs and the player have agreed terms in a 24 million euros (�16.6million) transfer, but the French international is refusing to complete the move, claiming Real are refusing to give him his slice of the transfer fee.

And with time fast running out until the transfer window closes - the Spanish deadline is midnight today - Makelele's representative Marc Roger fears the deal could fall through.

"It is very unlikely that this situation will be cleared, it is very, very difficult," Roger told Spanish radio station Marca.

Roger has criticised the Primera Liga champions for being "disrespectful" to the 30-year-old, and insists his client is owed 15% of the agreed fee, some 3.5m euros (�2.1million).

TRD

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Chelsea brought to an end the biggest spending spree the game has ever seen when they confirmed Claude Makelele as their final summer signing.

The club ended weeks of speculation when they completed a deal for Real Madrid midfielder Makelele ahead of the transfer deadline.

Makelele's arrival at Stamford Bridge for an as yet undisclosed fee took the club's spending since Roman Abramovich's takeover in July beyond the �100million mark.

The France midfielder has agreed a four-year contract with the deal completed at 11.30pm on Sunday night, less than 12 hours before the cut-off point for Champions League registration.

"That's it. No more. We've finished," club chief executive Trevor Birch told Chelsea TV ahead of the closure of the transfer window.

Makelele follows the likes of Damien Duff, Juan Sebastian Veron, Wayne Bridge, Joe Cole, Geremi, Adrian Mutu and Hernan Crespo to Stamford Bridge.

The 30-year-old's move ends a rift with Madrid which saw the player refusing to train with the rest of the squad last month.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join