It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charlton Athletic: Curbs will always want english core

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Alan Curbishley insists Charlton will always have a core of English players at The Valley.

Talk this week has centred on Arsenal's failure to name any British players in the squad which beat Crystal Palace 5-1 on Monday.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has seen his policy to rely on mainly foreign talent questioned, with football's governing bodies keen to introduce quotas to encourage the use of home grown talent.

skysports.planetfootball.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
if he was at man utd, or chelsea or arsenal, it would be harder for him to say that.

the really top teams have huge numbers of foriegn players. at charlaton, he can get away with 11 england players in the team,

TRD

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Thats why Charlton will always be a mid table side or worse. They havn't exactly got real decent English players, so he might be better off getting in a few foriegn players...

Sir

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Charlton will never be that good a side, they just don't have the money. I dunno how Curbs has stuck it out for so long there, i guess thats loyalty for you.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
yer, he has been a loyal manager and its good to see.

hes stuck to them well and i guess that is a restriction to the team, sticking with average english players. i guess like johansson and rommedahl are players who he managed to get for cheap, possibly trying to mix forgien players with the english core hes got there

i cant see them really progressing though

TRD

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I wonder how much longer he will stick around for?

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
how long has he been manager there for? it seems ages. maybe he will do a dario gradi at crewe and be there for 20 odd years lol.

the longer he stays the less likely it is he will manage another premiership club i think.

do you think he will be mananaging england one day?

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   
He will never manage England, I think he will move eventually but it's about timing and all the top jobs are getting snapped up.

I think they should impose a foreigner rule so more teams have an English core. Our national team would be better for it.

top topics

join