It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our SETI team needs more people

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I just tried it and it works now

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by baked

baked,
i've got 512 ram, and 2.2ghz...my computer isn't doing all it can right now, even though i have one session of SETI running.
how can i run multiple instances of seti? to make sure i'm pumping all the horsepower my computer's got?

don't get me wrong...i'm not playing keen

i might as well try and do this efficiently/quickly
Peace
Cyrus

[Edited on 5-12-2003 by Cyrus]

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyrus

Originally posted by baked

baked,
i've got 512 ram, and 2.2ghz...my computer isn't doing all it can right now, even though i have one session of SETI running.
how can i run multiple instances of seti? to make sure i'm pumping all the horsepower my computer's got?

don't get me wrong...i'm not playing keen

i might as well try and do this efficiently/quickly
Peace
Cyrus

[Edited on 5-12-2003 by Cyrus]

Use the program seti@home KEEPER.
It's found on the seti home page under the "add ons" link.
Here is a copy if the instructions.
I'm only running seven work units at a time, but with some adjustments to my computer i'm sure it's possible to run more work units efficently.

Here is the instructions for Seti Keeper:

What to do to get the unit processing working ?

1. Download the Seti@home command-line client (current version is 3.08) from the following
alien.ssl.berkeley.edu..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> alien.ssl.berkeley.edu...

2. Start the Seti@home client and register, then close the client, if it is still running

3. Copy files user_info.sah into some directory, where you want to store units. If work_unit.sah
exists, then copy it also, it is your first workunit. If you have registered our monitoring
client and you want to process more units, then copy user_info.sah to some other directory

Example: Just registered and I have files work_unit.sah, user_info.sah in the directory where
I executed the client. So I create a directory C:\Program Files\Seti@home. Because I
want to process more units, I create directory Unit 1 and Unit 2 in the directory
above. In Unit 1 directory copy work_unit.sah and user_info.sah. In directory Unit 2
copy only user_info.sah, but NOT work_unit.sah. You would be processing same unit
two times, if you do so.

4. Copy the Seti@home client to some location, I choose for example C:\Program Files\Seti@home

5. Run our monitoring client, on the options page select the Seti@home client copied in the step
above and select the options you want

6. Add units, that are the directories Unit 1 and Unit 2

7. Control execution and check progress using our client

8. Please report bugs, if you find any

I hope this helps.
It took me a few tries to figure it out but when I did it was worth it.
I can now process multiple work units faster the time it takes to do one with the regular seti client
Baked
< ///////////////////// >~~

[Edited on 5-12-2003 by baked]

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 05:40 PM
link   
im pretty satisfied with 98. i dont really like xp too much personally. given the chance to get it for free, i would jump on it. but im not paying out the arse for xp. not worth it imho

who

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I just transfered all my work units and time over to the ATS team, should be around 480 units. I didnt know I could transfer all my units, I would have done this a long time ago if I knew that. Says you can do it once when you join a group for the first time.

[Edited on 5-12-2003 by who]

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 08:57 PM
link   
you have probably knocked me down a place then

I joined a few weeks back. I went in at 99 and I'm up to 79th place now. It takes me an average of 4 1/2 hours per unit so it'll be a while till I get near the top of the chart. What puzzles me is why there are so many at the bottom of the chart that haven't done any work units.

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I got knocked down too dammit
lol
It's kewl tho....im movin pretty fast
Thanx for joining

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 12:41 PM
link   
How do you join SETI@HOME?

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidBieniek
How do you join SETI@HOME?

link to join ATS team:
setiathome.berkeley.edu...

who

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Sorry I knocked you guys down, I didnt know we were keeping track of how many each member does. The reason some people are at the bottom is probably because they dont have their Seti program set to run all the time. This may be because their computer is too slow, not enough memory, or they just dont want another program running eating up their processor cycles. I leave mine on all the time, never noticed a change with it on or off.

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by who
Sorry I knocked you guys down, I didnt know we were keeping track of how many each member does. The reason some people are at the bottom is probably because they dont have their Seti program set to run all the time. This may be because their computer is too slow, not enough memory, or they just dont want another program running eating up their processor cycles. I leave mine on all the time, never noticed a change with it on or off.

No need to be sorry

We will take all the knock downs if it ups the teams score.
I was just playing

From what I understand, when they switch to the new seti client there will be no more score keeping anyway. I think they are switching to a new procidure

I am not 100% about this tho.
So, we might as well have fun with it while we can.
A little compitition never hurt anyone.

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 10:23 PM
link   
how do i switch teams if i decide too?

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Strigoi
how do i switch teams if i decide too?

All you have to do is join and it will switch you over.
Here is the link:
setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu...
Hope you decide to!

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 03:34 PM
link   
will you get the credits i've accumulated so far? if so i have 252 units. i will convert, but i have to somehow switch my email address's. the one i'm registered to on SETI is no longer in use.

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Strigoi
will you get the credits i've accumulated so far? if so i have 252 units. i will convert, but i have to somehow switch my email address's. the one i'm registered to on SETI is no longer in use.

Do you remember the pasword?
If so thats all you need.
If not email seti and they can help you.

Your points should follow you where ever you go, but they add to the group total.

L8R
BAKED

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 03:49 PM
link   
When you get in to your account change your email to a current one.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Tee hee, I'm in. My nick is Paradigm (whoa, what a surprise there) .

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paradigm
Tee hee, I'm in. My nick is Paradigm (whoa, what a surprise there) .

Greetings Paradigm!! Get cracking those WU's!! (my nick name is also somewhat obvious!!)

60 000 WU's anyone??!!

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
hello, all....I just joined ATS Seti from another team...currently 236 WU's and counting...just upgraded the computer a few months ago to a faster processor and MUCH more RAM...from a Celeron with 512k of SDRAM to an overclocked Athlon 1800 with over 1G of PC3200 DDR....now Im hitting about .3 WU's a day

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I JUST OPENED MY ACCOUNT AND JOINED ATS!!!!!!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join