It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facility near Crow's Landing on I-5 Ca?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I drive Intersate 5 several times a year for work. On the West side of the Highway near Crow's Landing there is some sort of compound just off the road on the hillside. There's a short road leading up to what appears to be security checkpoint. It is surrounded by very high chain-link fencing topped with barbwire. It's a rather small facility from what you can see from the road, and there appears to be smoke stacks of one form or another. Due to it's location I thought perhaps it was a processing plant for the almonds grown nearby, but the why would there be 30 foot fencing around such a place? There are no visible signs or indentification hinting at it's purpose...It looks very much like a prison from the security aspect...but seems too small...and there is no housing that is usualy laid out for such places...any one else ever seen this place?

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Interesting, could one of these be it?

An array of approximately 50 microphones was deployed over a large area at NASA Ames' Crow's Landing facility near Modesto, California.

Acoustics

An interesting thread on yahoo. (near bottom, July 2000)

Thursday while driving to Sacramento, I saw one going up myself. At least that's what it looks like. It doesn't look like anything else, that's for sure. It's on the I-5 at Crow's Landing, in Stanislau County, California, about midway between Los Angeles and Sacramento, smack in the middle of an area that has nothing but feedlots and open land. A 20' chain link fence is in the process of going up, with the razor wire facing inside, not outside. And in the center of the probably 20 acres fenced, is a big windowless concrete building with microwave antennas. And in a couple of other areas, there's mounds of grass that look like long, rectangular bunkers underground.

Detainment Camps Discussion

Interesting to say the least. Near where I used to live in MO, there was what looked like a military obstacle course. Never seen it used though.

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 04:54 PM
link   
WOW!!! thank you very much!!!!

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I have driven by there several times. There were signs saying something to the effect of Crows Landing/Navel Base. Now why there would be a Navel base stuck up in the mountains nowhere near water(Stockton would be the closest port I believe) is beyond me.
I think the signs were south of Crows Landing. In the Wesley/Patterson area. Been a couple of years though,they could have removed. Would like to cruise up there and have a look around.

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyeff
I have driven by there several times. There were signs saying something to the effect of Crows Landing/Navel Base. Now why there would be a Navel base stuck up in the mountains nowhere near water(Stockton would be the closest port I believe) is beyond me.
I think the signs were south of Crows Landing. In the Wesley/Patterson area. Been a couple of years though,they could have removed. Would like to cruise up there and have a look around.

yeah there's an old Naval Auxilary Landing Base on the East side of the freeway...but I also found this info-

"Covanta Garbage Incinerator

A company called Covanta operates a garbage incinerator in Crow's Landing that burns about 800 tons per day of solid waste. The incinerator emits dangerous toxic chemicals and toxic metals into the air, including dioxin, one of the most toxic chemicals known to science. Even low levels of dioxin can cause illnesses such as cancer & birth defects. The company claims that the design and technology of their incinerator system "insures complete combustion and breaks down dioxin" and is environmentally safe." The truth is that the incinerator cannot completely or safely destroy all the waste being burned, and in fact creates dioxin and emits it into the air. The incinerator tried two years ago to import medical waste from across the state to be burned here, but concerned residents stopped that toxic threat!

Landfill"

www.greenaction.org...

perhaps this would explain the smoke like stack structures? I don't know? but why does the barbwire angle inward? I'm going down in a few months, I'll take my camera...

more stuff
www.cvar.org...

the old base-on the opposite side of I-5

perhaps I can get an aerial view from terraserver.com

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 05:14 PM
link   
not to detract from the original facility, but I found this on the airstrip

"Jack Daley reported in 2003 that Crow's Landing is "Currently completing a massive EPA/Navy cleanup.

It is mostly now owned by the County Of Stanislaus.

It was transferred to the County three years ago (completed in 2000)

under the auspices of (now former) Congressman Gary Condit (of the recent missing DC intern fame)."

"The field is currently wide open with the nearby Sheriff Office substation conducting occasional patrols.

The tower & crash building still stand, as do the field Recreation Building & pool area.

NASA has some trailers with satellite antennae in occasional use on the NE side of the field.

No one is ever seen there from their offices at Ames.

The two concrete runways are deteriorating fast.

Ground water clean-up is continuing.

The airfield is X'd off, but local trainers still shoot occasional touch & go's."

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Great finds....

Its hard to believe the facility is so big. I would never have guessed that an air strip was up there. I thought it was strange that there was a base up there,but no people for miles around. Most base will produce a small city over time. But the whole area is just empty. It reminded me of a small area 51.

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 06:08 AM
link   
maybe its all underground

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 09:22 PM
link   
communications stations can be anywhere it could have been a school.comms research people have to be cleared "top secret".the smoke stacks could be a power plant.a windowless building with microwave antennas usually means a comms station.it is easier to build a comms station above ground than to (retro-fit or build one underground )

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Every time I pass the facility - it makes me say hmmm. I drove by the facility twice this week. It sits on a hill overlooking the California aquaduct and the many area farms just off the west side of I-5 near the Crow's Landing exit and just north of a nearby I-5 View Point. Here are my thoughts on the facility...

First and foremost, it looks INDUSTRIAL - definately not military. It would look very different if our military had a hand in the construction or operation of the site. Enough said here.

Second, it looks nothing like Area 51, nor does it appear to have anything to do with communications or NASA. In fact, the presence of an old Navy airstrip nearby is probably a white rabbit. By the way nyeff, the word is "Naval" not "Navel".

What caught my attention was the unusually tall security fence and the utter lack of any sign or indication as to the purpose of the facility. At first I thought it might be associated with the California aquaduct as it sits very close to an aquaduct pumping station; but the unusual size of the building and the large array of smoke stacks behind it made me look closer. I saw no fuel tanks, electrical transmission lines or nuclear containment vessel, that might indicate power generation.

They have added a new fence on top of the orignal perimeter security fencing, raising it to approximately 30-40 feet - no doubt in response to the terrorism threat. The razor and barbed wire on top is facing inward - maybe by mistake or maybe it is more effective for fences this tall.

The fence encloses what looks to be a large flat underground storage bunker covered over by gravel and dry grass. This feature has the added benefit of providing an offset or no-man's land between the perimeter fence and the main building of approximately 50-80 feet for the entire eastern side facing I-5.

The facility always looks quite sleepy. The gravel road leading to the facility entrance does not look well travelled and I have never seen any cars parked either inside or outside the security compound.

Based on my own personal observations and the information that other people have provided previously, I believe the facility it most likely a hazardous waste disposal facility or less likely, a garbage incineration facility. The front of the facility facing I-5 is probably for storage of the HAZMAT. If so, I wish they had located the facility further from the California aquaduct - maybe they use water from the aquaduct for cooling - or efficient disposal of the waste products - yikes! ;(

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Drive down the gravel road and ask the guard what it is...

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyeff
I have driven by there several times. There were signs saying something to the effect of Crows Landing/Navel Base. Now why there would be a Navel base stuck up in the mountains nowhere near water(Stockton would

Its a Naval Air Base... They do have them inland. TOp Gun, Lemore are all inland. My dad was a civil engineer that worked for the navy we went to the base one time before it closed. It seemsed like just anyother base. I don't think there is anything going on there that would spark my conspiracy radar. The area to look at is LLNL. they have a large complex dug into the mountainside that is restricted airspace in Livermoor.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Ah I think know what your talking about. Only seeable driving one direction isn't it? I always assumed it was a navy power generator but then again what was stated a above I guess its not. But I dont see why it couldnt be an incinerator.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Ok guys, calm down, the big fence is to keep garbage (papers, cups, plastic, etc) that escapes the primary containment area from blowing out onto the freeway and causing a crash on I-5.

If you take note of the fence, it is tall and lanky like one that might surround a gold course driving range. It is clearly *not* a high security perimeter fence. The fence is so tall due to the geographic location of the plant agaist the hills and the attendant high winds that are often present there.

As for barbed/razor wire, I will have look next time I go by, but, I do not recall any but could be mistaken.

The facility as previously outlined in earlier postings burns waste and generates electricity which is sold to PG&E. More information on that here;
www.covantaenergy.com...

As for the Crows Landing Airfield, the last time I was out there several months ago, there was no significant activity evident to me. The only sign of life was the old fire station had a maintainence truck parked in one of the bays and the station appeared to be in use as an office. No longer a fire station. The rest of the buildings, which are not many, are boarded up. And there were a couple of old beater trailers on site but they were old in 1980.

I think the truck was county but cannot recall for sure but it was not a NASA or fed vehicle as I recall. There has not been any NASA activity there since the early 90's. The last major thing to occur near there- aviation-wise was the San Francisco PD helicopter crashing not far away a couple of years ago. God rest thier souls.

The airfield is now secure so I have not been out there in months.

Best to all,
Gaffer

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I drove to Sacramento over Thanksgiving weekend. I always notice this facility when making this trip and always wondered what it was. I finally remembered to do a search online to see if there was any info on this place. It does look pretty mysterious.

I came across the following when doing a search.

www.cpeo.org...
www.volpe.dot.gov...
66.102.7.104...:0NYJi7nReJIJ:www.volpe.dot.gov/acoustics/docs/2000/dts-34-04_2.pdf+%22crows+landing%22+%2Bhighway+%2B5&hl=en

-

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
This airfield was built in 1942 as a satellite airfield for Alameda NAS.

The earliest depiction which has been located of the Crows Landing airfield was a 1943 National Archives aerial view,

which depicted the field as having 2 paved runways, taxiways, ramps, and several buildings.

The facilities at Crows Landing were complemented by nearby bombing & gunnery ranges.

NASA intermittently used Crows Landing to support flight tests
by aircraft based at Ames Research Center & other NASA facilities.

The Navy & NASA co-habited there for many years.

The Navy closed down operation [at Crows Landing] in the early 1990s,
as part of the NAS Moffett Field closure. Stop watching so many "X Files" re-runs.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I was based at Lemoore NAS and Crows Landing airfield is EAST of I-5. The compound with the 30-40 foot high security fence is WEST of I-5. The high security fence does not lend itself reasonably to a garbage incineration plant. Too much security for such an operation. I noticed the compound facility today from I-5 while traveling southbound. The fence is clearly visible from both sides of the I-5 and a portion of the "block house" is also. Something with high security is there. No one so far has offered a credible explanation of what this facility is - not at least to my satisfaction. Stumped

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I have passed by this facility just this weekend and my husband and I both wondered what this was. Thus the reason why I googled "Crows Landing" however nothing of this facility came up. Does ANYONE know FOR A FACT what this facility is???

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ibeszn

The area around Crows Landing (especially the airport) is currently in the early stages of becoming a huge Industrial business park. An "Inland Port" is how they are pushing it. They will utilize the airstrip and and short rail that is currently in place. The short rail are train tracks already in place that connect to the Port in Oakland. For any Information on this project, just head over to the Modesto Bee newpaper website, and do a search for West Park Development.

Here is a link to the developers power point presentation:

thecommunitydialog.3cdn.net...

As for the Covanta Energy Plant. It is still active. The Bricklayers that I work with replaced the brick in the furnaces a few years back. Landfill is still active also. Hope this clears everything up.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
We used to autocross at Crows Landing. Just a beat up old airfield, and nothing really interesting about it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join