It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arsenal: Gunners blasted for Foreign Invasion

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Players' union boss Gordon Taylor has launched a stinging attack on Arsenal's David Dein for failing to back UEFA's quota proposals.

The Professional Footballers' Association chief executive refused to condemn Arsene Wenger for failing to include a single British player in his squad for Monday night's 5-1 Barclays Premiership win over Crystal Palace, something he believes it could begin a "worrying trend". However, he questioned the attitude of Gunners vice-chairman Dein, who also sits on the Football Association board, towards UEFA proposals to ensure a minimum number of home-grown players in every squad.

"Arsene Wenger has a job to do, so I don't want to be critical of him," said Taylor.

"But this is a worrying pattern for English football. Are our stars of the future getting the opportunities they need?

"What worries me even more though is the attitude of David Dein.

"Here is a man, a prominent member of the FA's international committee, openly lobbying against UEFA's quota proposals. I find that absolutely astounding."

The European governing body's plan is for clubs to include a minimum of four home-grown players in their squads from 2006, rising to eight two years later. Dein has dismissed the plan as unworkable, claiming it is almost certain to face a legal challenge for restraint of trade and that the quality of the Premier League would suffer if the ruling was imposed domestically.

Sportinglfe

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
i think paul merson also complained baout this, saying they will kill off alot of english talent

hehe, no english guys on, and the thump palace lol...

but with cole, and cambell out, that the 2 english guys the only ones guarenteed a game.

TRD

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I think its a bloody disgrace to be honest. A top english side should at least boast half a team of British Internationals. Chelsea did it a few years back but seem to have got rid if that trend. The managers should be buying and playing the younger british talent and the older ones.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
wenger hits back!

Arsene Wenger has defended his right to select non-British players after fielding a squad completely made up of foreigners in Monday's win over Crystal Palace.

The Frenchman has been criticised in many quarters after the absence of Ashley Cole and Sol Campbell brought the issue into sharp focus this week.

Ahead of the FA Cup tie with Sheffield United, Wenger spoke passionately about the situation and insisted he is not concerned by a player's passport.

link

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   
As much of a die hard arsenal fan i am, this is incredibly worrying for the club. I am against an all foreign team being played, we have only 3 Englishmen with the possibility of playing, Cole Campbell and Hoyte

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
hehe. those 3 you mentioned. hoyte is gonna struggle to play regular.

hehe. cole. well...whats going to happen with chelsea,

i cant see him buying any english players,

i remember when he first went to arsenal, it was adams, bould, keown, winterburn and dixon, with seaman in goals. and he had them amazing. and introduced alot of forgienrers into that sde

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
the spurs manager leaps to wengers defense

Tottenham boss Martin Jol has sprung to the defence of Arsenal counterpart Arsene Wenger as the debate over The Gunners' all 'foreign' team continues to rage.

Jol claims he sees no problem with Wenger's decision to select a 16-man squad comprised exclusively of non-British players against Crystal Palace last Monday, and insists it is a phenomenon happening all over Europe.

"It is a controversial issue, but I think when you have achieved what they have achieved, the supporters must be happy at Arsenal," he stated.

link

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
doug ellis, chairman of aston villa also defends wenger

Aston Villa chairman Doug Ellis believes Arsenal have done little wrong despite criticism of their all-foreign midweek squad against Crystal Palace.

Despite being in scintillating form, Arsene Wenger's collection of talent from overseas has endured a backlash in the past few days.

Many believe Wenger's policy to rely on foreign talent is hindering the prospects of young English and British talent, which is unable to make an impression at Highbury.

skysports.planetfootball.com...

new topics

top topics

join