It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arsenal: Wenger - defense is weak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger admits his side are lacking something in defence, but he has refused to hit the panic button.

The Frenchman has reflected in a typical philosophical style by admitting The Gunners' great form at the beginning of the campaign only served to mask problems which were already there.

However, Wenger also ruled out any knee-jerk reaction to Arsenal's 4-2 defeat to Manchester United on Tuesday.

link

TRD

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Is Wenger comming out with excuses now? The defence was good enough to get the record but all of a sudden it's not good enough?

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
hehe. true lol.

i think its the depth in defense, there isnt any. cygan is playing, and toure is suspended, and cambell is out too for a few weeks. this could cost them more points

TRD

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Excuses, excuses. They was good enough at the start of the season and if he thought otherwise ( which he never) he should have bought in a few defenders or in January when he had the chance. They bought one player in the January transfer window and it wasn't a defender.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Why can't he just say the team that won the Prem LAST year just aint good enough, it's not just the defence its the whole team..

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
i dont think he added well enough to the squad, other teams improved, where as he stayed in the past

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
The difference is he didnt add at all one bit whereas money talks and Chelski and Utd come coming with their cheque books left right and centre, arsenal does not have the financial muscle to compete at the moment, which is incredibly worrying. Its not staying in the past rynaldo its more of being complacent with the current squad and trying to blood youth into the squad early

TRD

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Yeah, thats what they tried to do, bring in youngsters. It backfired on them a bit as some of them just wasn't ready for the big stage. Not saying that they wont be, they just need a bit of time. One problem is that the team is starting to get frustarated and although Henri is playing well as a provider, he is not getting the important goals he was getting earlier on in the season and the season before.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   
hey, lol.

yer, when i said past, i meant it as like past achievements team, doing the unbeaten run. but yip. complacent sounds like a good word to use.

i think your money went on the stadium, but perhaps. with wenger, he doesnt rush for a player and do bad siginings. apart from the french defender who stinks (no name calling now lol)

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Hell i will do the name calling for you

CYGAN!!
CYGAN!!
CYGAN!!

What a clown, stats even show that with him in the team we do worse

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
hey, wondered why cygan had a cake on his face the other day

*damn! the clown pic didnt show*

[Edited on 2/4/05 by rynaldo82]

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
To be fair to him, he played solid on wednesday, i thought he was better then Campbell on the night, but generally very poor, very very poor and i wont even start on manuel almunia

Sir

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Cygan has always been a weak link, not that bad a player but just not good enough for the Arsenal back four. Lacks concentration and is prone to making a few howlers in a match.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
wenger knows improvement is need real quick for europe

Arsene Wenger knows Arsenal must recover their defensive poise quickly or risk being eliminated from the Champions League as well as the title race.

Wenger criticised his players' "careless" attitude in allowing the Barclays Premiership trophy to slip from their grasp with 13 league matches still remaining.

However, while he acknowledged that catching leaders Chelsea is now beyond his side, he stressed that they cannot afford to let their season disappear without trace.

link

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Interesting, just browsing through some old topics and i found this one.

It looks like Wenger wasn't wrong and may start hitting that panic button, as nearly a year later the defence is definalty looking weak.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
yip, thats a year hes had to improve the defense and he hasnt been able too.

Cole was already at the team and the same with Campbell, maybe Wenger doesnt know how to spot a good defender hehe

*cough cough* Cygan lol

Sir

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   
He knew he was going to have problems in this area and it looks like he has come unstuck. A couple of defenders will be the no1 priority in the summer or else its much of the same.

top topics

join