It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S Developing troop exoskeletons

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Power armor... perfect

The firepower

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Wasn't that from akira?

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by FoxRaider
Wasn't that from akira?

you can guess, I don't know if anyone will ever know

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 09:31 PM
link   
A month or so ago that there was a thread about Mech warriors, if it was possible by todays standards.

A few of those posts were about exo armour... and how those ideas were skoffed at, by the same people praising this newest thread.

Please, people, stick to your guns!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[Edited on 31-12-2003 by soothsayer]

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 11:47 PM
link   
So this will probably make tanks redundent then?

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   
and yea apart from ur sarcasm about their weaponry i bet they would be carrying OICW's lol, for those who dont know what an OICW is its an Object Individual Combat Weapon

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   
may I suggest all you novel reading nuts read this book.

The Tin Man

Dale Brown is my absolute favourite SciFi Author. I have every book of his and read them constantly. He puts you in the cockpit of many hi tech "dreams".

The tin man was an offshoot.. I suppose he was bored writing fighter pilot novels....BUT GOD DAMN.. you have no idea how close to the truth he has become with this book.

Chris

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 06:09 AM
link   
i think by developping exoskeletons there is no more of a requirement for a clip based weapon like the OICW. In fact i would imagine that the 25mm OCSW is a much better weapon, the weight of the weapon and its ammunition wouldn't be a problem for the exoskeleton and the soldier. an ammunition drum would probably hang on the Exo's back.
I guess this is also a good platform for the GECAL .50 (GAU-19), not to mention the 7.62mm M-134 (mnigun). This would especially be true if these thing went up to the size of the gears in Heavy Gear I/II.

But this is all in the future and who knows what could happen by then.

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
yea its a great concept but he looks like damn robocop lol

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Kinda nice how we can spend 50 mil on things like this and billions more dollars and weapons research and development...yet we can't even get health care to our elders or education to our children. Anyone else see a problem here?

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Sweeeeettt!

"You have 30 seconds to comply...."

exactly. and then the baddies shoot at them and the bullets just bounce off. "sorry guys your wittle bitty bwllets dont work no more." its going to take a #ing tank to kill one infantry man now! HAHA THATS #ING AWSOME! i hope the ruskies are #ting their panst now! he he he! eat that IVAN!

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan
the baddies shoot at them and the bullets just bounce off. "sorry guys your wittle bitty bwllets dont work no more." its going to take a #ing tank to kill one infantry man now! HAHA THATS #ING AWSOME! i hope the ruskies are #ting their panst now! he he he! eat that IVAN!

The armor allows the soldier to:
carry heavier packs;
march faster over longer distances;
lift heavier objects and use larger weapons;
leap extraordinary heights and/or distances.

So they may wear heavier armor, still this may protect them from different types of less powerful cartriges, but 7,62 used among the terrorists in their AKs would still kill the supersoldier (of course if the supersoldier haven't killed the terrorist before he ever noticed him
).

And remember, when US develops a technology, other countries make research to counter this tech. EMP grenades anyone?

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
That is friggin' awesome, I want mine to look like the ninja off of Metal Gear Solid!!!

[Edited on 24-2-2004 by subscorpion]

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 04:14 AM
link   
It looks like this technology may be here sooner than we expected.

"We set out to create an exoskeleton that combines a human control system with robotic muscle," said Homayoon Kazerooni, professor of mechanical engineering and director of UC Berkeley�s Robotics and Human Engineering Laboratory. "We�ve designed this system to be ergonomic, highly maneuverable and technically robust so the wearer can walk, squat, bend and swing from side to side without noticeable reductions in agility. The human pilot can also step over and under obstructions while carrying equipment and supplies."

"The researchers point out that the human pilot does not need a joystick, button or special keyboard to "drive" the device. Rather, the machine is designed so that the pilot becomes an integral part of the exoskeleton, thus requiring no special training to use it. In the UC Berkeley experiments, the human pilot moved about a room wearing the 100-pound exoskeleton and a 70-pound backpack while feeling as if he were lugging a mere 5 pounds. "

link

There is a cool picture on the site

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
HELL FUKIN YES I WANT MINE LIKE TH NINJA FROM METAL GEAR SOLID ASWELL! ME N U GONNA GET EM N GO KILL SUM PEOPLE WHO NEED 2 DIE! MUHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA! lol ok im dun now...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join