It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newcastle United: Boumsong tempted by Newcastle

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Rangers defender Jean-Alain Boumsong has admitted he would consider a move to Newcastle should Graeme Souness launch a January bid to take him to St James' Park.

At the same time he recommended former Auxerre team-mate Teemu Tainio as an ideal signing for Rangers.

But it was Boumsong's assertion that he would be interested in moving south to join Newcastle which stood out and will be met with approval on Tyneside but some dismay among the Ibrox faithful.

Boumsong's future remains unclear despite signing a five-year deal when joining in the summer from Auxerre, who visit Ibrox in the UEFA Cup tomorrow night.

A number of English clubs have already made it clear they would like to sign him at the earliest opportunity, with Newcastle manager Graeme Souness apparently very keen.

Boumsong, who turned 25 on Tuesday, has repeatedly expressed his contentment with life at Ibrox.

But he could not offer any unconditional promises that he would be staying at the club.

Sportinglife

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
when he signed for rangers, it was all over that he moved to scotland as a stepping stone for the premiership. that he wants to play there one day. but since hes done well there, that seems to have been forgotten. maybe he thinks they can win the uefa cup lol

he was supposively quoted on the Radio today that if he was to leave rangers, the only club he would join is real madrid. i dont think hes in that class

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
rangers claim to have rejected a bid for the defender

"It is not normal practice for Rangers Football Club to comment on the day of an important match and we are disappointed Newcastle United has made public its interest in acquiring our player Jean-Alain Boumsong," Bain told the club's official website.

"We can confirm that our chairman David Murray received a verbal offer from Graeme Souness and, thereafter, a few days later, a further written offer both of which have been rejected.

"Our focus is on this evening's match and we have no further comment."

link

TRD

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I'm sure i read the player himself said he isn't going anywhere.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 06:23 AM
link   
its looking more 90% that he is gonna leave now if newcastle come back in with a bid.

after they got knocked out of europe in what was one of the easist groups ever
lol the VIP bit where fans are sitting. his girlfriend was sitting there and i think it was just after the match, the fans there where shouting f**k off to newcastle etc, supposed to have been pretty bad abuse they where getting and it sparked him to decide he wants to move

hes been there best player this season aswell. most matches he dont break a sweet. in auxerre he didnt do well but thats getting put down to being linked with newcastle.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   
heres what his agent had to say,

But he was said to be "disappointed" to suffer foul-mouthed taunts relating to the Newcastle link after the 2-0 midweek defeat at Ibrox.

Boumsong's agent, Willie McKay, told the Daily Record: "I can confirm there was an incident and Jean-Alain was deeply disappointed by it.

"The fans have been magnificent with him ever since he joined the club, but what happened the other night left a bad taste in his mouth.

"His girlfriend was there to witness everything and both she and Jean-Alain were very upset by some of the things said.''

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
well..this is supposed to be a conspiracy

rangers fans are supposed to be saying there was no verbal abuse, that the agent of the player made this up as a excuse for boumsoung to say he wants to quit scotland.

and now the rangers board etc are getting asked to name and shame the fans as tey are saying there aint a person

TRD

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Rangers are understood to have rejected a fresh bid from Newcastle for France international defender Jean-Alain Boumsong.

Newcastle, who had a 7.5million bid turned down last week, are believed to have come back with an improved 8million offer.

But Rangers value the 25-year-old, who was signed on a free transfer from Auxerre in the summer, at 10million.

The player's agent, Willie McKay, remains convinced that his client will move to England sooner or later.

Sportinglife

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
rangers no2 andy watson i think his name is, is saying today that if a reasonable bid is made, he will be sold.

if rangers keep him and fail to win nothing at the end of the season, he price will drop. rangers cant afford that, they have masses of debt

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   
well, souness is saying if they dont accept this bid, then thats it, he aint moving for him again. sounds like a threat lol

"We have made two offers but Rangers have rejected them," Souness told The Daily Record. "We're now pursuing another target.

"It would be wrong to say our interest in Boumsong is dead but there will be no third offer for the player."

Central defender Boumsong moved to Ibrox on a free transfer from French club Auxerre in the summer and he is reportedly willing to reduce by 5% the 15% cut he is due to receive from any transfer fee in order to facilitate a move.

"That (�8m) is a lot of money for a defender and would be the biggest transfer in history from a Scottish club," his agent, Willie McKay, told BBC Sport.

"I think he would be keen to move to the Premiership, but he is not going to short-change the Rangers support."

TRD

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Jean-Alain Boumsong's transfer to Newcastle United could be back on after Rangers manager Alex McLeish visited St James' Park on Wednesday evening.

BBC Sport believes that McLeish watched Newcastle's defeat by Arsenal to run the rule over players that could be included in a part-exchange deal.

Rangers have rejected three offers from Newcastle for the central defender.

Magpies manager Graeme Souness had insisted that his club would not increase their last 8m offer.

Rangers have apparently been holding out for 10m for the 25-year-old France international, who joined the Glasgow club in the summer, but negotiations appear to have resumed.

BBC Sport

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   
wonder who he is looking at, though, if he selling boumsong to newcastle, its due to newcaslte not having any1 at the back as good as him. so rangers aint gonna replace his class with another defender.

i dont see many of there players wanting to play in scotland either

TRD

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Jean-Alain Boumsong should complete his 8m move to Newcastle this afternoon. The France international has passed a medical today after Rangers accepted the Barclays Premiership side's offer this morning. Rangers snapped up the highly-rated defender for nothing from Auxerre in the summer and a quick sale was always on the cards.

Graeme Souness made no secret of his desire to land Boumsong but Newcastle were forced to table three offers before he finally got his man. It is not the first time the Newcastle boss has conducted business with his former club after plundering the Ibrox side for Barry Ferguson and Lorenzo Amoruso when he was manager of Blackburn.

Boumsong's Monaco-based agent Willie McKay does not envisage any problems with the deal going through.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
yer, i heard this 2day that its looking like its a done deal lol, looks like they aint taking any toon players though.

not sure if mcliesh will get any of this money to spend either

TRD

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Looks like they have picked up two usefull defenders now, should make a better second half of the season for Newcastle...

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   
its looking a more done deal every minute

"I can confirm that we have an agreement with Glasgow Rangers and an agreement with the player, and the agreement we have with him is a five-and-a-half-year deal," said Souness.

"Jean-Alain Boumsong has an agreement with us, we have an agreement with Glasgow Rangers.

The player's agent Willie McKay revealed Boumsong was on Tyneside discussing personal terms.

"We are here now in Newcastle to discuss terms and for the player to undergo a medical," McKay told skysports.com

"Rangers have accepted the �8 million bid for Jean Alain and there is a five-and-a-half year deal on the table.

"Jean-Alain is looking forward to playing in The Premiership after an enjoyable time at Rangers and the deal should be completed soon."

Boumsong is in line to make his debut in The FA Cup tie with Yeading if the deal is sealed when the transfer window reopens.

cant say am complaining though, he was there best player by miles

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
boumsong has came out and tried to explain why he left, saying it was too good a move to turn down

[qoute]Jean Alain Boumsong has explained his decision to move to Newcastle, believing it is an opportunity that he just could not pass up.

The France international sealed an �8 million move to St James' Park this week, but insists that he was sorry to leave Rangers six months after arriving in Scotland.

"This was a true sporting opportunity," said Boumsong.

"Perhaps I would never have had an opportunity like this again.

"Rangers got a nice fee, Newcastle really wanted me and I have the opportunity to play in The Premiership. Everyone was satisfied.

"There was no agreement on how long I was staying at Rangers. I signed a five-year deal but the officials could let me leave if there was an opportunity.

"I have never regretted signing for Rangers so it is with sadness that I leave the club.

"But the Premiership is a higher level and you want to reach new levels.

"The key element of my departure was playing in the Premier League and being wanted by such a big team.

"But be careful! I am not the saviour, I just want to play a part in the improvement.

"Some clubs were getting interested in moving for me next summer but none showed the determination of Newcastle."

sky sports

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Big signing for Newcastle he is a great defender. He will steady them at the back for sure.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Jean-Alain Boumsong has revealed he could have joined Newcastle for nothing prior to making his �8 million January switch from Rangers.

The St James' Park new boy was coveted by Newcastle at the same time last year, before agreeing to move to Scotland on a free transfer from Auxerre.

While Rangers were willing to commit to a deal, Newcastle were more hesitant and ultimately, have paid a heavy price for their indecision.

''I knew Newcastle were interested in me last season,'' revealed Boumsong.

''There were all sorts of things going on regarding a move but in the end nothing happened.

''So I decided to give my word to Rangers that I would sign for them at the end of last season and I wanted to respect that.

''Then there was talk back in August that Newcastle would be interested in me again but I decided to ignore the speculation and concentrate on my job at Rangers.

''Now the move has finally come about I am delighted and looking forward to a wonderful opportunity at Newcastle.''

sky sports

new topics

top topics

join