It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newcastle United: Shearer may call it a day!

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Shearer has indicated this season will be his last with his current contract set to expire at the end of the campaign.

He has, though, shown little sign of relenting on pitch, scoring 10 goals already this campaign as he edges closer to Jackie Milburn's all-time club record of 200, having now netted a total of 183 for the Magpies.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
i wonder if he will hit 200. he must be desperate to do that. and i think he could. just over half a season to go.

if he hinting at retiring. wonder if souness is panicking as the newcastle fanst will want him manager

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   
do you think they'd get souness out so quick? maybe if he doesn't reach the goal total he'll think about playing another year.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
am not sure. i have no idea what contract souness was offered. i dont see him only wanting to go there for a season.

if shearer retires. i dont think he will want to leave newcastle.

it will be interesteing to see what happens

TRD

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I can't seen them getting rid of Souness to make way for Shearer.

If Shearer doesn't make the 200 this season he might play one more year. If he does retire he would have to take his coaching badges and all that so it would be awhile before he could be a manager. He might turn out to be crap at it lol!

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 07:05 AM
link   
shearer says again, this is my last season

"I want to get on with this season, score some goals and win silverware," he told the BBC.

"I was happy with my form before I got injured but my intention is still to retire at the end of the season.

"I haven't decided what to do next season. I don't know what the future holds - I'll cross that bridge when I come to it."

link

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
souness is hopefull goals will make shearer stay

Graeme Souness believes that only goals can convince Alan Shearer to play on beyond this season.

Shearer scored his 250th Premiership goal, as Newcastle got a 1-1 draw against Manchester City - and Souness is still hoping the former England captain will do a u-turn on plans to end his career in the summer.

"If he's scoring goals every week he'll stay on," suggested Souness.

skysports.planetfootball.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Lee Bowyer has paid tribute to Alan Shearer and urged the Newcastle United captain to reconsider his decision to retire at the end of the season.

Shearer has steadfastly refused to postpone his long-term plan to quit football this summer despite concerted attempts by Graeme Souness to persuade him to reconsider.

Souness believes he is making progress in his bid to retain the services of the talismanic striker and Bowyer would be pleased to be playing alongside the famous number nine again next term.

skysports.planetfootball.com...'ll+miss+Big+Al&channel=Football_Home

TRD

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   
You never know he might play one more season. All depends on how hard it is for him to stay fit. Maybe he will ask for a bit part like the way West Ham are using Sheringham. Bringing him on for the last 25 mins and starting the odd game, but would Shearer fancy doing that..

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Shearer will stay for one more season only if we dont lift the UEFA or FA cup this season!

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
i think shearer wants to play all the time, though, if you asked sheringham that a few years ago, am sure he would say the same, that he wants to play every game. maybe hes realised he cant quite do it,

before he retires, he has to win something with the toon army, i think you make a good point mickey dee

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Newcastle United chairman Freddy Shepherd is confident the chance to break Jackie Milburn's record will tempt Alan Shearer into playing on for another season.

Shearer has announced he will be retiring from football in the summer and has steadfastly refused to change his mind.

Magpies boss Graeme Souness is holding out hope that his talismanic skipper will perform a U-turn and carry on for another campaign.

link

TRD

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   

FORMER England skipper Alan Shearer has cancelled plans to retire and will play on for Newcastle United next season, reports say.

The 34-year-old, who had planned to call it quits at the end of the current campaign, has negotiated a contract extension that will give him even longer to get the nine goals he needs to equal Jackie Milburn's club record of 200, the Press Association reported.

It is understood that Shearer will officially announce his decision at a news conference on Friday.

LINK

new topics

top topics

join