It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newcastle United: Souness wants Shearer to stay on

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Newcastle manager Graeme Souness has revealed he hopes to persuade Alan Shearer to shelve plans to retire at the end of the season. Souness told BBC Radio Newcastle: "I don't think he would need much persuading if he was getting 20 or more goals this season.

"If he had a good season and we had a good season then I don't think he would take much persuading.

"Providing he's doing the business I'd love him around the place."

Souness added: "I think the key to Alan staying is if we have a good season and he scores goals.

"He lives off goals. They are his bread and butter - his trademark. He's Mr. Newcastle and he's been great for me, very supportive in the dressing room.

"He's a proper player and a proper human being. "

BBC sport

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   
how old is shearer now?

TRD

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
34 or 35 i think at least.

If they could squeeze one more season out of him then i definatly would. He retired from International football to prolong his playing career at club level.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
it seems to me like he can still play at a premier level, just judging by talent. and he's certainly smart enough. maybe they could even get 2 out of him. who knows.

TRD

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Well he has looked after himself and he is one of the last old type center forwards. Not many of them left now, they all seem to have pace and stuff. Rooney is a similar type of player..

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
yer, i think shearer could go on and on, though, he did pick up a serious injury a few seasons ago

haha..if he wants shearer to stay on, maybe it cos he dont want shearer to retire and get his job lol

TRD

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Oh yeah he said he wanted to be the Newcastle manager lol!

Well i think he will carry on, the way he is playing there is no need to quit yet. As long as he can keep doing the buisiness 2 more years top whack...

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
he'd probably make a good manager. he may not end up staying with newcastle to manage tho. i guess we'll see what happens. do they have any sort of hall of fame or anything? cause he should be in it.

TRD

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Nah we don't really have a hall of fame....

Clubs have there own museums now in the grounds were they honour there stars form yesteryear...

[Edited on 31/10/04 by TRD]

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
oh, well that's pretty cool. i suppose that's probably a better idea. i dunno, seems like there should be a hall of fame or something, i guess that's more of an american thing. sorry for my bias

TRD

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I think its a good idea, maybe we should have a Hall of fame....

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   
no no no. definitely stay away from doing anything like we do it over here. we're dopes.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
if you are with a club here for 10 years, you get a testimonial and tributes sometimes we you in your 60's lol

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I think Bobby Robson was the better coach. Shearer has always been the player that has the ability to produce on the pitch, without much encouragement which is probably to Souness' liking. It's interesting now how the Klievert Shearer partnership will fare out against other premiership clubs.

[Edited on 11/1/04 by websurfer]

TRD

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Robson was always a great coach, he has done some great things in football...

Never thought about it like that but yeah i guess your right no one has to tell Shearer what to do.

top topics

join