It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newcastle United: Newcastle linked with Emerton

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Sir Bobby Robson has refused to be drawn on his pursuit of Brett Emerton as Newcastle and Feyenoord haggle over his �5m price tag.

The Magpies boss - who had a �7m bid turned down by the Dutch club in August - is widely reported to have tabled a fresh �3m bid this week, in the knowledge Emerton would be available for free when his contract expires in a year.

The 24-year-old midfielder's agent Simon Konstantinidis said on Thursday: "I don't think any club would be prepared to pay the money that Feyenoord are asking.

"It was �8m last year I understand it is around �5m now. So any deal with Newcastle is some way off."

Robson, who must now decide whether to increase his offer for the right-sided midfielder or defender, was asked if Emerton would be arriving at St James' Park this summer.

"We never discuss transfer business with the media but, when we sign a player, we'll let you know," he said. "We will let the press know if we move some players out or get some in."

TRD

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Newcastle are starting to assemble a good side and i expect them to do well again when the new season starts...

Emerton is a very good player and would be a great signing if they can pull it off..

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 01:23 PM
link   
They could find themselves with the problem of having too many promising players in the one squad. Not everyone can play and certain players will get frustrated by the lack of first team options. Still not a bad situation to be in for Newcastle.

TRD

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 02:09 PM
link   
well what a great situation to be in...all them players to choose from and the players themselves fighting for places...Newcastle could get off to a flyer when the new season starts with the help of emerton...

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I wouldn't be too happy about him saying in the papers that he would love to play for Arsenal but would except the Newcastle offer because he could definately get in their team though! Couldn't believe it when i read this today, his agent should take better care of what gets said to the press.

TRD

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Yeah when decent players come on the market the agents always try to start a bidding war to bump the price up,it makes me angry...

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I agree, although in this case the player was definately speaking for himself.

top topics

join