It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portsmouth: Yak wants to stay!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
TRD

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Yakubu Aiyegbeni has insisted that the turmoil at Portsmouth will not prompt him to leave the club.

Pompey have been rocked by the events of the past week - with Harry Redknapp standing down as manager and taking over at rivals Southampton.

Nigerian striker Aiyegbeni is currently battling back to fitness from a knee injury sustained against rivals Southampton, and is more concerned about his return to action than talk about following Redknapp out of the club.

Skysports

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
he wants to stay but for how long? at the moment if he was to leave. it there star player leaving so i think he will stay to the end of season. it will be interesting to see what happens then. seems to get linked with transfers. i think it was chelsea he was linked with? i think he will miss Redknapp though, he one of those managers you get along with

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   
he wont be going to Southampton because they cant afford him, he also stated that he eventually wants to join a BIGGER club and Mandaric wont allow any players to join Southampton with maybe the exception Amdy Faye.

TRD

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I can't see him going to Southampton. As ya say Drunk he would want a bigger club, maybe Liverpool..

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
looks like a bid will be launched from everton

Skysports.com understand, though, there are at least four Premiership clubs ready to fight it out with Everton for his signature.

Leading agent Barry Silkman - Aiyegbeni's representative - confirmed there is concrete interest in his charge.

"There are a number of clubs showing an interest," Silkman told skysports.com.

"I don't want to get specific, but it is pretty strong - although the matter is up to Portsmouth to decide.

"Yakubu is an ambitious player and has done a wonderful job for Portsmouth, which is why there is such interest in him."

TRD

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
It will be a blow to Pompey if they lose him but if a big bid comes in for him then he could be off. All depends how long he has to go on his contract aswell. Also doesn't that other club still part own him?

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
i dont know on that one TRD, if thats the deal though, if a bid comes in, will the other team have a say in weather its to be accepted.

adriano of inter had a thing like that, 2 clubs owend him, he was at parma then went to inter,

TRD

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Yea Pompey and the club he came from own half each...

It will be interesting to see if he does go as he is their best striker..

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   
who has the final say the? it will be pompey as hes there right?

TRD

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I would have thought so..

They will hold out for the biggest bid though as they have to split the cash. He has quite awhile to go on his contract so he might not end up leaving at all...

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   
at least if his contract has still a while to run it wont be a cheap deal and will not feel as much pressure to sell.

i hope he stays, i think with him and lua lua, and the ricardo fuller, they have the makings of a good team.

TRD

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Everton have joined the race for Portsmouth striker Yakubu Aiyegbeni.

David Moyes is keen to bolster his strike-force in the January transfer window and will try and test Pompey's resolve.

A bid of around 6 million would be very hard for Portsmouth to turn down and Everton are seemingly set to receive the finances which would make such an offer viable.

The Toffees do have other irons in the fire with James Beattie and possibly even Fernando Morientes in their sights, but there are a host of clubs chasing them and Everton could easily miss out - hence their interest in Aiyegbeni.

Merseyside rivals Liverpool are also believed to be considering Aiyegbeni, but they too have other options and may well explore different avenues first.

Everton, though, hold Aiyegbeni in high regard and could look to seal a quick deal as it looks increasingly likely that the Nigerian will be leaving Fratton Park next month.

Skysports

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
pompey want to hold onto him

Portsmouth chief executive Peter Storrie has stated the club want to build around Yakubu and that most sides could not match Pompey's valuation of the striker.

"We want to keep Yakubu," said Storrie to The Sun.

"I do not think anyone out there is going to make a bid to tempt us - but there are always surprises in football.

"People keep on talking about him going but how many clubs out there can afford him?

"Everton have been linked with him but they are not going to pay more than 10 million for a striker.

"My message to Yakubu is we are building something special here and we want to see him stay long term.

"If he goes to a really big club he will go into a rotation system whereas now he is in a successful team scoring goals. It would not be in his interests to move."

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 02:07 AM
link   
They have slapped a 12million pound price tag on his head.He may not be here next season though but definately till the end of the season.

TRD

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Thats a lot of money for him, i dunno what clubs would be willing to offer that.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
i heard a rumour that newcastle want to sign him, not sure how true that is.

12 million, i can only see maybe the top 3 willing to spend it,

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Thats a lot of money for him, i dunno what clubs would be willing to offer that.

Thats the reason why MM has slapped a big price tag on his head

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by rynaldo82
i heard a rumour that newcastle want to sign him, not sure how true that is.

12 million, i can only see maybe the top 3 willing to spend it,

That is a rumour but Newcastle want Boa Morte if they cant get him they would try for Yakubu. To be honest Yak isnt worth 12 mill maybe 8 mill but the higher the chairman rates him the better chance we have of keeping him, yeah only Chelsea,Arsenal or Man U could afford 12 mill.

TRD

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Doesn't mean anything Drunk....

Owen was touted for 25million the season later he went for round about 8 million. Jermaine Defoe was rated in the 15 million bracket when we was in the Prem, he went for just over 6 million.

Look at Robbie Savage, blackburn offered 2.7 million, Birmingham want 3.5 million. Now he is in the reserves and won't play for the first team again. If they don't seel him he will end up walking away for nothing...

I think the Yak is a great striker but as i said there is not many teams that would be willing to part with that much money. If he does go it will be for less than 9 million....

A player is only worth what someone else is prepared to offer....

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Mandaric has said that he will only accept an offer if it is "silly money" Eventually Yak will be sold but i think the idea is to keep him here at least until the end of the season.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join