It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portsmouth: Harry Redknapp to leave?

page: 1

join
share:
Sir

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Harry Redknapp is on the verge of leaving Portsmouth after his assistant Jim Smith and first-team coach Kevin Bond were informed on Saturday that they had no future at the club beyond this Saturday's fixture with Middlesbrough. Portsmouth's owner-chairman Milan Mandaric is believed to have forced out Smith and Bond, which could provoke Redknapp to resign. Redknapp is well aware of the financial implications of resigning but he is willing to walk out in support of Smith and Bond, citing a mutual disagreement.

The exact nature of the falling-out remains uncertain but Mandaric appears to believe that he can run the club with another coach and get the team to perform as well as they have over the past two seasons under Redknapp and Smith.

Mandaric would also appear to think that Portsmouth's supporters will accept the decision, even though Smith is a popular former manager of the club, having been in charge from 1991 to 1995.

Trouble has been brewing at Portsmouth and it is no coincidence that in every interview given by Redknapp that he has described the past two seasons as the best in the fans' memory. After Saturday's defeat at Leicester, Redknapp, 57, said he was already worrying about next term, and laughed off south coast reports linking him with the Tottenham job, for which he was quoted recently at 66-1 with the bookmakers.

TRD

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I don't know if he will leave. I read that its just hearsay and he is going nowhere. It would be a blow to Pompey if he did decide to go as he has achieved so much with them.

[Edited on 10/5/04 by TRD]

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
I don't know if he will leave. I read that its just hearsay and he is going nowhere. It would be a blow to Pompey if he did decide to go as he has achieved so much with them.

[Edited on 10/5/04 by TRD]

Correct its just rumours i will ask my uncle to find out from the horses mouth< my uncle knows Harry Redknapp they are both members of the same Leisure club in Bournemouth

TRD

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
That would be good drunk!

Yep i just can't see him going yet.

TRD

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp hopes the club can now move forward and put the problems of the past week behind them.

Redknapp and chairman Milan Mandaric drew a line under several days of public bickering on Friday.

The row started when it looked as if Redknapp's veteran assistant Jim Smith, 63, was being sacked with coach Kevin Bond to make way for a replacement, possibly from abroad.

Mandaric also wanted Redknapp to call a halt to his spending which had taken the club's wage bill to £20million a year and build up the youth scheme.

But the rift between manager and chairman looked terminal when Redknapp accused his boss of lying when Mandaric further claimed that it was Redknapp, not himself, who wanted Smith out.

A statement was later read out after the meeting had been concluded and indicated there was a truce.

The statement read: "Milan Mandaric, Peter Storrie, Terry Brady, Harry Redknapp and Jim Smith held a constructive and meaningful meeting regarding our current affairs.

"We feel there has been a lot of unnecessary comments and confusion by us all.

"For the benefit of all our supporters there has been no change in the current football management team and the dialogue will continue in a positive manner.

"Everyone in the club is looking forward to the last game of the season and finishing on a high note."

Redknapp and Mandaric remained at Fratton Park after the statement had been issued but fans went home not knowing if Redknapp's departure had only been delayed until after Middlesbrough's visit.

Sir

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Harry isn't one to take any crap and the way things have gone i wouldn't be surprised if he did go. Things must still be bad their and they are talking about players wanting to leave if he goes.

[Edited on 01/24/2004 by Sir]

new topics

top topics

join