It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

European: Martin O'Neill to leave Celts!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Celtic manager Martin O'Neill will announce that he is leaving the club on Wednesday, BBC Sport has learned.

O'Neill's wife Geraldine is ill and it is thought that the 53-year-old will stand down after Saturday's Scottish Cup final to look after her.

His assistants John Robertson and Steve Walford will also depart the club.

link

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
this is sounding like a done deal, that he is leaving,

his wife has been ill for ages, her type of cancer is a bad one and does require alot of attention and care compared to other types of cancer

strachan turned down the scotland post a while ago, saying he had a job in mind so did he know all along.

but its going to be a huge loss!

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
its like... if O'Neill just took a season out and Strachan comes in, signs the players he wants, gets the team to play the way he wants, and then O'Neill says i want to come back and its out goes Strachan, back comes O'Neill.

to me, that would not work and thats why its looking like its for good he is going

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Stilian Petrov admits it will be a difficult experience to see Martin O'Neill leave Celtic if, as expected, he steps down following the Scottish Cup final.

O'Neill is widely anticipated to call it a day at Celtic Park as he takes a break from football to care for his sick wife at the end of the season.

Such a move would bring down the curtain on a special relationship with the club and fans after he has brought them three SPL titles and to the brink of European glory in the Uefa Cup final.

link

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
when O'Neill chucks it,

there no chance Bellamy will stay, Lennon will prob leave, Sutton and Hartson, the might leave, Thompson is done, there will be intrest in Petrov,

the new manager will need money to burn!

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
hes left! and Strachan is the new man

Martin O'Neill has confirmed he is stepping down as Celtic manager with Gordon Strachan replacing him at the helm.

The Northern Irishman's future has been the subject of intense speculation in the last few days.

O'Neill is understood to be quitting his role at Parkhead to look after his ill wife Geraldine.

link

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
well.. with strachan coming in,

i said in another post its looking like goodbye sutton and hartson, we supposed to be getting kevin philips and robbie keane

TRD

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
O'neil finally left, a year off to recharge his batteries and then its off to Man United...

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
hehe... the way you said that it sounds like hes doing the dirty on us

i dunno, it was supposed to be a year he was taking out of celtic before it was the.....leaving for good stage.

i think it could be even 2 seasons, it is really his wife being ill and he want to be there for her, screw football for the time being.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Petrov who i think is really good cos he full of energy, is being linked with a move away now.

and Balde, who has a clause in his contract could see him move for free as Bayern Munich are supposed to want him

and Hedman is hoping to be no1 under Strachan

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
we are getting linked with Anti Neimi from Southampton asnow, as Strachan was there and i think it was him who bought Neimi from Rangers?

he dont want to play in the Championship and wants to link up again, hes going to cost a fair bit as hes good, and we have Hedman who Strachan likes. I think it depends how much money the manger is getting

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
he takes time to hail the fans

"It has been a long haul but the fans have been fantastic,'' O'Neill told BBC Scotland. ''Seville proved that.

"They behaved themselves with 80,000 descending on the city.

''They have done a lot for me. It was a brilliant effort by the players and we deserved to win it.

"But, like last week, we couldn't put the game away. The players have been a terrific bunch for a long, long time.

"It was one final effort. We missed some great chances to wrap the game up.

"As we found to our cost last week, one-nil is never enough and Dundee United hit the bar towards the end but that would've been harsh on us at the end.''

and also goes on to say about Strachan

"The torch has passed to Gordon. He is a different personality to myself,'' concluded O'Neill.

"He knows the game inside-out and just needs a wee bit of luck.

"He also needs a bit of time, which will be very important and he will stamp his authority right through the football club."

[Edited on 5/28/05 by rynaldo82]

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
about Keane being linked with Celtic, he has spoken now about it

Robbie Keane is refusing to rule out a possible move to Celtic.

The Tottenham striker has been linked with a switch to Parkhead with incoming Bhoys boss Gordon Strachan reported to be keen on working with Keane again after their time together at Coventry.

Keane's future at White Hart Lane looks uncertain with the player unable to hold down a regular place in the side.

skysports.planetfootball.com...

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
big bobo Balde is going to leave, it in the papers today talking about his contract saying there a release clause in it which means he can go for free.

and he is talking about bayern munich wanting him and it sounds like that is the plan.

we have a good youngster guy called Kennedy whos been out injured, he will be back around november time i think so if we dont sign a replacement i would expect kennedy to come in and he was pretty good.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   
heres about Bobo

"I am free to go for nothing in this transfer window. If Bayern come back and say they want me to sign then I will go for free.

"The manager of Bayern said he was interested in me and they are one of the best clubs.

"To be honest, I have language books in my bag - English, Spanish, French, Italian and German."

link

new topics

top topics

join