It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

European: Emmanuel Petit retires from Football

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
French World Cup winning midfield player Emmanuel Petit has announced his retirement today, bringing to an end a glittering career that included stints at Monaco, Barcelona and Arsenal. The pony-tailed 34-year-old, who also helped his France teammates lift the Euro 2000 trophy, made his announcement in an interview with L'Equipe sports newspaper.

Other highlights of his career included winning the domestic double with English Premiership titans Arsenal in 1998, the same year he scored the third goal in France's 3-0 victory over Brazil in the World Cup final in Paris. He began his international career at the age of 19 and retired from the international game in 2003 having won 63 caps. Petit finished his playing career with Arsenal's London rivals Chelsea, who released him at the end of last season as age caught up with him and Russian billionaire owner Roman Abramovich bankrolled a seemingly unending supply of fresh international talent.

Last month he was back training with Arsenal but talk of a short-term contract came to nothing.

Associated Press

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
its a shame his career went downhill after arsenal when it should have been a high going to barcelona.

i think its been on the cards, he was injurey prone at the best of times and age now. maybe just too much

TRD

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
He can't grumble he has had a great career, playing for some of the tops teams...

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   
He was a good player but he should have retired a while ago. Maybe do some more adverts lol!

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I loved manu petit, its such a shame hes retired. Although leaving Arsenal was the worst decision of his life, not many players when leaving arsenal goo on to be successful

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
hehe. talking about petit, overmars left with him. what has happened to him since he left to go to barcelona?

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
He retired as well didnt he? Someonje correct me if i am wrong

TRD

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I remember i read that he was going to retire because of injuries. Not sure if he has though...

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
yer, i think he did. he never went to euro 2004?

new topics

top topics

join