It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

European: Brazilian legend Romario retires

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Brazil playmaker Ronaldinho has lavished praise on legendary striker Romario, who hung up his boots on Tuesday at the age of 38.

The newly-crowned FIFA World Player of the Year told a press conference in Brazil: "He was a teacher for everyone who likes football.

"For players of my age we can only thank Romario for what he did for the game."

The Barcelona ace added: "It was watching him 1994 that convinced me that this was the path that I wanted to go down."

Romario, a former Barca player, has been without a club for two months after breaking his contract with Fluminense.

He retires as the second highest goalscorer in Brazilian history with 70 in 87 appearances, behind only Pele, who notched 95 in 114 matches.

Sportinglife

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
awww no way, hes retired, i thought romario was going to go on forever lol.

what a player though, did he manage to score more goals then pele in his career then? i think thats one of the reasons he played for so long

wonder if he will step out of it come summer

TRD

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Yea i didn't think he would ever retire, he just kept going and going at the higest level. What a great pro he has been...

Well for Brazil he was about 8 short of Peles total for goals...

TRD

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by rynaldo82
awww no way, hes retired, i thought romario was going to go on forever lol.

Brazilian veteran striker Romario has delayed his expected retirement to play one final season in the Campeonato Brasileiro for Vasco da Gama. The 39-year-old signed for the Brazilian outfit earlier this year planning to play only the Rio de Janeiro state tournament before retiring. But the team performed disappointingly, prompting the former Barcelona striker to take one more stab at a domestic campaign.

LINK

Sir

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
He just couldn't resist could he. For some people its just in teh blood, thats what they was born to do and they just cant let go. If he can still run for 90mins and do a good job on the field, i don't see why he shouldn't.

new topics

top topics

join