It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

European: 12yo may join Barcelona

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
A 12-year-old Argentine soccer sensation looks set to leave his home town of Buenos Aires to join the junior ranks of Catalan giant Barcelona.

Barcelona arrived at an agreement with Erik Lamela's parents, news reports said today.

Under the arrangement Lamela's father, Jose, would be provided with a job in Barcelona, the family would receive a payment of 500,000 ($845,952) over four years, and the club would provide for Erik's schooling, the reports said.

"I have all the doors open," Lamela's father said.

If the deal goes through, Barcelona apparently would have beaten a handful of other clubs, including AC Milan, Arsenal and Buenos Aires powerhouse River Plate, where Lamela is currently signed.

Barcelona's interest has sparked a heated debate in Argentina where the media reported on Friday that fans and critics were debating whether it was too early to send the player abroad.

A Barcelona press officer, who asked not to be identified, confirmed the club's interest.

Lamela caught Barcelona's eye this year during junior competitions in Spain and France.

But the source said Lamela's family would need to move to Barcelona to receive a study and sports grant that could possibly lead to a future senior team signing.

According to sports daily Marca, Barcelona president Joan Laporta did not feel it was too early to express an interest in a potential star.

Associated Press

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   
there seems to be so much news about youngsters getting signed by the big teams recently. it must be so much pressure for them and just think if there heart isnt in it,

TRD

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
"I have all the doors open," Lamela's father said.

Say no more....

12 is not a bad age as he can make his own mind up i suppose. It all depends how much his family are pressuring him.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 07:48 AM
link   
12 is too early to tell if a boy can make it as a footballer. He isn't developed and alot can change in the next few years.

Plus Arsenal or Man U will probably nick him from Barca before he signs pro forms in a few years like they have both done recently!!

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I see that River are reporting Barca and their president to FIFA for trying to tap this boy up.

top topics

join