It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China on Taiwan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 08:35 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

"Taiwan independence means war," Mr. Peng said. "This is the word of 1.3 billion people, and we will keep our word."

Awwwwww, China is afraid freedom is getting to close to their front door. You know what, I say screw it and declare independance.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 08:37 PM
link   
declaring independence is only a legality(sp?) action. In all essiences they are free so y start a war to just make and official title. I mean they are recognized by many powerful contries and a war is not what they need speciallly with China

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver
declaring independence is only a legality(sp?) action. In all essiences they are free so y start a war to just make and official title. I mean they are recognized by many powerful contries and a war is not what they need speciallly with China

I realize this and I know what I said was more tongue in cheek, but everyone knows they are basically a free nation so why does China keep on threatening them??? I have a real issue with China and mainly its #ed up ass leaders. Independance already exists in Taiwan so why start a war over something that already ahs taken place. It not like everyone doesnt know.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 10:03 PM
link   
The US has it's own problems and the mil is stretched thin, Europe wouldn't lift a finger to help Taiwan - and may back China anyway....hmm, interesting.
And, Taiwan not too long ago had those war games.

Taiwan should be declaring China a rogue province

[Edited on 3-12-2003 by Bob88]

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 10:07 PM
link   
China should kiss our ASS!!!! If it wasn't for Clinton they would still be a backward country!!! The man sold us out!!! Lets show them if they screw with us we will NUKE THEIR SORRY ASS"ES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I believe that one needs to research this "situation" between Taiwan and China.
Why?
Its goes back in history a long time, and in short, China heavily believes and insists today that Taiwan is a part of mainland China.....sovereignty issues people....sovereignty is the key....this is why China said what they mentioned concerning Taiwan claiming or seeking independence.

regards
seekerof

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
I believe that one needs to research this "situation" between Taiwan and China.
Why?
Its goes back in history a long time, and in short, China heavily believes and insists today that Taiwan is a part of mainland China.....sovereignty issues people....sovereignty is the key....this is why China said what they mentioned concerning Taiwan claiming or seeking independence.

regards
seekerof

China basically conceded sovereignty when they agreed not to attack Taiwan on a basis on Tawain not declaring it's independance from China. The reason China doesnt want Taiwan to declare independance is because the powers that will be in Beijing who don't know about this issue will then mount massive rallies for the same kind of independance.....It hurts Chinas political power if Taiwan declares "publically" independance.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Dreamz:
"China basically conceded sovereignty when they agreed not to attack Taiwan on a basis on Tawain not declaring it's independance from China."

Nicely put Dreamz, but I do not believe, for one minute that China has "basically conceded sovereignty" of Taiwan.
If this had been 30-50 years ago...China would have mowed over Taiwan and that would have been it. Politics rule the world as does 'economy'.
Internally, despite politics, China is vehemently wanting to destroy the democratic system that is currently and has been rooted in Taiwan. China, is telling/warning Taiwan to not seek 'freedom' or its own sovereignty is bascially reasserting the fact that Taiwan is still viewed as part of China's sovereignty.

regards
seekerof

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Dreamz:
"China basically conceded sovereignty when they agreed not to attack Taiwan on a basis on Tawain not declaring it's independance from China."

Nicely put Dreamz, but I do not believe, for one minute that China has "basically conceded sovereignty" of Taiwan.
If this had been 30-50 years ago...China would have mowed over Taiwan and that would have been it. Politics rule the world as does 'economy'.
Internally, despite politics, China is vehemently wanting to destroy the democratic system that is currently and has been rooted in Taiwan. China, is telling/warning Taiwan to not seek 'freedom' or its own sovereignty is bascially reasserting the fact that Taiwan is still viewed as part of China's sovereignty.

regards
seekerof

I understand your response 100%. The one thing that is deterring China from attacking Taiwan now is the US. If the US was not a ally of Taiwan that country wouldve been bitch-slapped by China years ago.
I agree that Taiwan is viewed by China as part of the mainland, but I also think they use that as an excuse for them to try controlling what Taiwan does or does not do. If that makes any sense.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Heh.

I think People should have freedom to do what they want.

If the people of Taiwan want freedom, want independence, want a democracy...then let them have it...give it to them. It cant be stopped unless by force.....

Taiwan will do what they want. China wont like it so they will go and invade Taiwan. I wonder what The USA will do? Nukes I bet. What happens then? A WW3.

Nothing can stop what is coming. If Taiwan declares...and they will declare independence...China will declare war. And then the rest of the world will get involved in WAR. A big war breaks out, Techonologies are revealed, people killed, and murder she wrote

Nothing can stop this.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
Heh.

I think People should have freedom to do what they want.

If the people of Taiwan want freedom, want independence, want a democracy...then let them have it...give it to them. It cant be stopped unless by force.....

Taiwan will do what they want. China wont like it so they will go and invade Taiwan. I wonder what The USA will do? Nukes I bet. What happens then? A WW3.

Nothing can stop what is coming. If Taiwan declares...and they will declare independence...China will declare war. And then the rest of the world will get involved in WAR. A big war breaks out, Techonologies are revealed, people killed, and murder she wrote

Nothing can stop this.

I agree this will happen eventually. Can't stop the dragon once he has come out of the cave.

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 01:40 AM
link   

I agree this will happen eventually. Can't stop the dragon once he has come out of the cave.

The shadow of Taiwai-strait war looms larger and larger, but I'm sure it won't be able to break out.
China now has at least its 600 missiles targeted Taiwan, it is just for warning, not for a war.

Suggestion:
Stop talking nonsense, will you?

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 01:42 AM
link   
China is just plain greedy they want more land.

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 02:30 AM
link   
i think the anti war lefties will give this country the spinelessness it needs to overlook taiwan by the time they declare independence

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 02:46 AM
link   
We'd better not overlook them as we've made a commitment to stand with them. Who would ever trust us again?

top topics

join