It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

European: Barcelona to clear out stars

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Barcelona have announced a major squad clear-out with Patrick Kluivert, Marc Overmars, Phillip Cocu, Michael Reiziger and Rustu Recber leaving the club this summer.

The move signals the club's intention to slash their wage bill, and sporting director Txiki Begiristain now plans to lower the average age of the squad over the coming months.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
in theory there's a lot of class available on a free this summer. aswell as barca releasing the players you mentioned, davids, rivaldo and wiltord are out of contract. if a strong manager could get them working, there's half a team for the taking.

and even if it doesnt work in real life, it'll be #ing class on champ man...

TRD

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Yep what a Championship manager team!

Well yea there is quite a few players available and Real Madrid might be letting a few go aswell, so i expect alot of transfer activity this summer.

Also with the Euro's comming up some mangers always buy some players who they see in the tournament, not that they all turn out to be any good.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
transfers on the basis of international performances never work out.

i remember when we bought phil babb for a british transfer record for a defender after usa94. it still hurts.

TRD

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Hrmm yea i remember that. We did the same bought some guy named Marco Boogers he turn out to be a fruitcake and went back home to a mental assylum for awhile lol!

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
lol. thats some signing that! even worse than the babb incident for us was when we signed friedel but didnt play him in enough games for his work permit. so when he went home for his holidays, customs wouldnt let him back in the country. classic roy evans stuff.

TRD

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   
LOL! I never knew that.

Yea worse thing is we paid over a million quid for him and it ain't as if we were loaded with money at the time.

Another classic buy for us was Don Hutchinson for just over 5 mill. I wouldnt have paid 5 pence to bring him back for a second time.

Back to it though i reckon Kluivert will be in the premier next season and possibly Davids

top topics

join