It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Greek root-word, parabole, means comparison. So a parable is a spiritual lesson .......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Ok, thought I would share some of these interesting parables with you all.....well, to whom ever wants to listen....better make that ''Read''!

Since the time of the primitive Christian Church, parable has been the term for a story told by the Lord Jesus Christ to illustrate His teaching.
The Greek root-word, parabole, means comparison. So a parable is a spiritual lesson of a story developed by comparison to everyday life.
The Lord's parables draw memorable details from nature, human, social, economic, or religious life of His time. Characteristically, all oral teachers of the eastern cast of mind teach by comparisons and riddles, using homely images to stir curiosity and reflection.
So His parables use images from life in this world to discover spiritual truth.

The Savior also told sacred insights in parables for three practical reasons. First, His parables were hard for many listeners to grasp, but His listeners could recall the vivid details from ordinary life long enough to discover the wisdom behind the allegory.
Second, the Lord Jesus Christ told parables to make men expect a double meaning, and to make them want to discover the fullness of the divine plan for their conversion.
Because the Church and Kingdom that our Lord founded differ so sharply from the Jewish expectation of the Messiah at that time, that the Lord's teaching had to be cautious and indirect.
His parables use allegory to compare the recognizable world to the start, development, mixed character, and final triumph of Church and Kingdom.
What may seem simple to us, of course, was a intriguing riddle to His contemporaries. And third, the Lord used the parable format because His followers could not readily forget or misinterpret the commonpiace images.
The parable format preserves the purity of Christ's teaching in distinct but evocative images.

Narrative parables have another advantage over oral lecturing. Parables teach how to live by divine law both in private and in public.
Christ's parables have lost no clarity, immediacy, or beauty during 20 centuries across many civilizations in many translations. In all settings, His parables show the unified spiritual and physical worlds.

"Books and words, created quite recently, yesterday and the day before," writes Protopresbyter Alexander Schmemann, "have become outdated, have fallen into nonexistence.
They no longer say anything to us; they are dead. But these ingenuous stories, so simple in appearance, live on, full of life.
We listen to them, and it is as if something happens with us, as if someone has glanced into the very depth of our life and said something which relates only to us, to me."

The Lord's parables have Old Testament traditional roots, uttered with the perfection and beauty on the lips of the God-Man.
The parable of the prodigal son, for example, touches on people in all times and places.
Our careful interpretation distinguishes its essential and accidental details. The typical parable teaches one truth that may be shared by other parables. A few parables have several truths to teach.

more here.....on the meaning ...Can we learn anything from these?
In fact, I believe that more can be learnt about life here, then out in the real world!
Better to be prepared then not to!

stmaryofegypt.org...

www.stjohndc.org...

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I enjoy your posts. They come from a true Christian. I enjoy stories of Jesus.

Please write some words on the concept of the celestial government of Christ as it is expressed on the earth.

Thank you!

Arkaleus

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arkaleus
I enjoy your posts. They come from a true Christian. I enjoy stories of Jesus.

Please write some words on the concept of the celestial government of Christ as it is expressed on the earth.

Thank you!

Arkaleus

Please refrain from attempting to give out assignments.

regs out...

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Regs:

My request was for an intelligent person to expound on a matter that I feel they might have insight on. Is that something you feel should not happen in a religion forum?

In the early Christian Church, when a brother or sister would come under the influence of the spirit, the congregation would encourage that one to speak or prophecy. That is the kind of request I made, and I think I made it politely and respectfully.

Arky

[edit on 26-12-2004 by Arkaleus]

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
That's fine, but please watch your tone. Some people don't know how to take your tone and might find it offensive. Please refrain from stating things in the tone, make it a simple request, not like you are handing out assignments.

Thank you,

regs out
(SuperModerator)

top topics

join