It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hermetic Order of The Golden Dawn

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I have a magical "textbook" from a local chapter of The Order of the Golden Dawn. Reasearching this, I have found one of the top members to be Aleister Crowley (33rd degree mason), who was also know as one of the greatest "satanists" in the world. He also called himself 666 or the Great Beast.

This group believes in Eygyptian gods and sexual magic ceremonies. I am wondering how this compares to the Illuminati ideals? Is there some comparision? I also learned throught research that Hitler was also a believer/member.

"The Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn is the outer manifestation of the Rosicrucian Order of Alpha+Omega (A+O), the only Golden Dawn order remaining under the direct guidance and protection of the Secret Chiefs of the third order. Our curriculum embraces all aspects of the Hermetic tradition, including ritual magic (theurgy), alchemy, astrology, qabalah, tarot, geomancy, and esoteric Christianity, as well as Egyptian, Enochian, Greek, and Chaldean mysteries and magic." - Direct Quote from a web site.

Thoughts?

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Was not Crowley a major factor in the creation of the golden dawn?

Did not Crowley have some fallings out with freemasonry and the Illumaniti?

I'm told that the nasty stuff is in fact Enochian magic which is real.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
Was not Crowley a major factor in the creation of the golden dawn?

Did not Crowley have some fallings out with freemasonry and the Illumaniti?

I'm told that the nasty stuff is in fact Enochian magic which is real.

From what I know, Aleister Crowley grew up with a thorough biblical education and an equally thorough disdain of Christianity. He attended Trinity College at Cambridge University, leaving just before completing his degree. Shortly thereafter he was introduced to George Cecil Jones, who was a member of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. The Golden Dawn was an occult society led by S.L. MacGregor Mathers which taught magick, qabalah, alchemy, tarot, astrology, and other hermetic subjects. It had many notable members (including A.E. Waite, Dion Fortune, and W.B. Yeats.

Crowley was initiated into the Golden Dawn in 1898, and proceeded to climb up rapidly through the grades. But in 1900 the order was shattered by schism, and Crowley left England to travel extensively throughout the East. There he learned and practiced the mental and physical disciplines of yoga, supplementing his knowledge of western-style ritual magick with the methods of Oriental mysticism.

In 1903, Crowley married Rose Kelly, and they went to Egypt on their honeymoon. After returning to Cairo in early 1904, Rose (who until this point had shown no interest or familiarity with the occult) began entering trance states and insisting to her husband that the god Horus was trying to contact him. As a test, Crowley took Rose to the Boulak Museum and asked her to point out Horus to him. She passed several well-known images of the god and led Aleister straight to a painted wooden funerary stele from the 26th dynasty, depicting Horus receiving a sacrifice from the deceased, a priest named Ankh-f-n-khonsu. Crowley was especially impressed by the fact that this piece was numbered 666 by the museum, a number with which he had identified since childhood.

The upshot was that he began to listen to Rose, and at her direction, on three successive days beginning April 8, 1904, he entered his chamber at noon and wrote down what he heard dictated from a shadowy presence behind him. The result was the three chapters of verse known as Liber AL vel Legis, or The Book of the Law. This book heralded the dawning of the new aeon of Horus, which would be governed by the Law of Thelema. "Thelema" is a Greek word meaning "will", and the Law of Thelema is often stated as: "Do what thou wilt". As the prophet of this new aeon, Crowley spent the rest of his life working to develop and establish Thelemic philosophy.

In 1906 Crowley rejoined George Cecil Jones in England, where they set about the task of creating a magical order to continue where the Golden Dawn had left off. They called this order the A:.A:. (Astron Argon or Astrum Argentium or Silver Star), and it became the primary vehicle for the transmission of Crowley's mystical and magical training system based on the principles of Thelema.

Then in 1910 Crowley was contacted by Theodore Reuss, the head of an organization based in Germany called the Ordo Templi Orientis (O.T.O.). This group of high-ranking Freemasons claimed to have discovered the supreme secret of practical magick, which was taught in its highest degrees. Apparently Crowley agreed, becoming a member of O.T.O. and eventually taking over as head of the order when Reuss suffered a stroke in 1921. Crowley reformulated the rites of the O.T.O. to conform them to the Law of Thelema, and vested the organization with its main purpose of establishing Thelema in the world. The order also became independent of Freemasonry (although still based on the same patterns) and opened its membership to women and men who were not masons.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 06:37 PM
link   
does this textbook teach alchemy and the magic?

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by weeman
does this textbook teach alchemy and the magic?

Weeman, just the magic rituals. If you were in college taking science, this is a first year, first semester book. Just the basics to start. I found it in the library of all places.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Nothing more, nothing less. He used the magic Society to further his own sexual deviations.

Granted, before him, the Golden Dawn was little known. But because of Crowley, it was twisted into the madness that it is held to be today.

Crowley set himself up as something he wasn't, and the foolish or ignorant fell into his mental trap, all to feed his sexual and mental ego.

I mean, if someone were to proclaim themselves as Christ, and demanded sex, everybody would laugh and have him arrested. But proclaim as being Satan? Oh, okay, we'll believe you, here, let me bare my ass for you so you can ride me...

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I have read a few of his books- Magik In Theory And In Practice and The Book Of The Law. A lot of it is hard to understand. Seems like an interesting man though. I suppose no every day ordinary person could even imagine what he was realy like.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TgSoe
I have read a few of his books- Magik In Theory And In Practice and The Book Of The Law. A lot of it is hard to understand. Seems like an interesting man though. I suppose no every day ordinary person could even imagine what he was realy like.

I should think he was interesting. As for the comment about being an arse, well...that definately showed some deep thought and speculation. But off the topic though.

The question is does this group have any reletion to the Illuminati? Or, does the Illuminati have any magical beliefs that possibly help them achieve their ends?

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 08:40 PM
link   
The Illuminati and Golden Dawn held similiar beginnings, and at one point, similiar viewpoints (in the gathering of knowledge). Symbolisms connect both sects.

It wasn't until Crowley entered the picture did things turn around. Much as Hitler gained control of (the name eludes me), Crowley, too, used the groups name and reputation to develope his own agenda.

It's a shame, really. I've read things about the Golden Dawn, both pre and post Crowley... in my opinion, the "pre-Crowley" was... more... in touch with what they were supposed to be.

I'm sorry if I've offended (or will offend) anyone on this thread... I just don't think Crowley was good for the Dawn, nor is he good for people considering to, or are, studying the occult. Using him as a psychology study (I'd prefer Jung, but Frued would work, too) would be great... but as a figure head... ehhhh.

*Granted, it may be off the subject, but one cannot think of the Golden Dawn without Crowley's exploits popping up. That, in itself, should say something*

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by soothsayer
The Illuminati and Golden Dawn held similiar beginnings, and at one point, similiar viewpoints (in the gathering of knowledge). Symbolisms connect both sects.

It wasn't until Crowley entered the picture did things turn around. Much as Hitler gained control of (the name eludes me), Crowley, too, used the groups name and reputation to develope his own agenda.

It's a shame, really. I've read things about the Golden Dawn, both pre and post Crowley... in my opinion, the "pre-Crowley" was... more... in touch with what they were supposed to be.

I'm sorry if I've offended (or will offend) anyone on this thread... I just don't think Crowley was good for the Dawn, nor is he good for people considering to, or are, studying the occult. Using him as a psychology study (I'd prefer Jung, but Frued would work, too) would be great... but as a figure head... ehhhh.

*Granted, it may be off the subject, but one cannot think of the Golden Dawn without Crowley's exploits popping up. That, in itself, should say something*

I agree wholeheatedly about not using him as a figure head. Most interesting information regarding using it for his agenda. I suppose my curiousity was due to the fact that he was a high(est) level mason AND one of the major leaders of the Golden Dawn (before starting his own order A:.A:.).

Seemed like an interesting connection.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I agree, it is an interesting subject. It's just that... I don't know... when it comes to Crowley and the over-all reputation he created for himself, and the negative impact he had on mages after him... it's like something goes off in my head!

Okay...

Golden Dawn (formerly called "Stella Matutina) founded in 1887 by 3 members of the Rosicrucian Society (them I like... VERY interesting subject). Order had 11 grades/degrees, subdivided into 3 groups...

A.E. Waite, author of "Brotherhood of the Rosy Cross" (circa 1924) writes that the origional manuscripts found by Rev A F A Woodford (1880) were, in fact, part of Westhaupt's Illuminati. An other belief is that eliphas Levi was the creator of those papers.

The evolution of the Golden Dawn goes like this(group wise):
1. Rosicrucian
2. Golden Dawn
3. Theosophical Society

It wasn't until Crowley, MacGregor Mathers' student, broke away and started the A. A. (1905), did the Golden Dawn begin practicing sexual magic. Crowley seized control in 1917 upon Mathers' death.

It is believed that the Golden Dawn was controlled by a group called "Secret Chiefs", a group whose aim is the direction of the destinies of the earth; the group located in Thule was said to be behind Hitler's rise in power.

Three types of magic were taught: Clavicula of Solomon the King, Sacred Magic of Abramelin the Mage, and the Enochian system.

Central rituals are based upon the descriptions of the Rosicrucian text "Fama Fraternitatis".

Hope this helps any!

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Golden Dawn (formerly called "Stella Matutina) founded in 1887 by 3 members of the Rosicrucian Society (them I like... VERY interesting subject).

I agree the Rosicrucian Society is most interesting. I find Crowley an interesting character, but not in the magical sense. I find it interesting that he was able to become so well involved in these groups, and his disdain of christianity. I know he called himself the beast because he did not believe in the church's idea that they were the "true" faith and all others pagans. He stated something to the effect of...if you believe me evil and a pagan then fine, call me the great beast 666 and I will one day bring you down. Taking the name of their enemy was most dramatic indeed, but interesting.

You other information was most interesting, thank you. Very good post

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Under the impression that we're the only ones here? Might as well call it "Zed and Sooth Presents"

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Under the impression that we're the only ones here? Might as well call it "Zed and Sooth Presents"

Indeed. Well, maybe more people will be inclined to share tomorrow. Interesting topic though. One that I think could use further discussion. I am suprised it was not here before. Certainly a prelude (or side-lude) to a few secret societies.

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Crowley was never a Mason .

S&F

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rosslyntemplar
Crowley was never a Mason .

S&F

I beg to differ. 33� Scottish Rite Freemason - Aleister Crowley. There are degrees higher than 33. In fact Aleister Crowley stated that he was a 33rd Degree Mason for ten years before he discovered the higher degrees.

Another example I quote: "is cited by David Berkowitz, a serial killer during the mid-1970s. Berkowitz was a member of a cult by the name "Son of Sam," a cult founded by a secret society called the Ordo Templi Orientis* better known as the OTO. The OTO was founded in 1902 by two 33rd degree Freemasons.

At its head in 1912 was 33rd degree Freemason Alistair Crowley, the sweetheart of modern rock stars. This is the same Masonic Lodge that slaughtered Christians during the 1917 communist revolution in Russia and it's the same Masonic Lodge that slaughtered the missionaries in Angola in the early 1970s. David Berkowitz claims that all his murders were contracts handed down by the Son of Sam cult leaders. One victim he mentions was a young and beautiful brunette who he stabbed to death inside a church while she was praying. Her crime, according to Berkowitz, was that several months earlier she had been invited to one of their cult meetings where she boldly witnessed Jesus Christ."

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Lol how can anybody take anything you say seriously when you cite an insane serial killer.

Lol

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Really aren't insane. They have been proven to hold an above average IQ. They are also very charasmatic people, knowing how to hold and gain trust/control of their victims.

Myself, I like to quote Charles Manson. At times, he is a very intelligent person with an outlook that fits most people on ATS.

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The Golden Dawn that name rings a bell, werent they a cult or something?

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 11:45 AM
link   
aleister was an interesting person. He held several records in mountain climbing without oxygen, wrote volumes on individual yogas including 'sex-magick' and tantric techniques. His 'Liber Al' is supposedly a translation he received from an entity from Sirius.

He is quoted as writing, "Man has the right to live where he wants, live as he wants, dwell and move about the earth as he wants. Man has the right to work and play as he wants. Man has the right to love as he wants. Man has the right to kill those who thwart these rights."

Intersting indeed.
Nothing is true, everything is permissable.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join