It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coca-Cola Divisions: Harry Redknapp to Southampton?

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Harry Redknapp has admitted he does not like sitting at home on a Saturday afternoon - and still refused to rule himself out of managing Southampton in the future.

Redknapp left Portsmouth last month shortly after the arrival at Fratton Park of executive director Velimir Zajec - but both he and chairman Milan Mandaric insisted he departed on good terms.

With Steve Wigley's position as Southampton manager also the subject of press speculation following an indifferent start to life in the St Mary's hotseat, Redknapp has been inevitably linked with the job.

His well-known affection for life on the south coast would make the scenario feasible but Pompey fans would hate to see the manager they hold in such esteem 'cross over'.

Asked whether he would rule out any possibility of managing Pompey's fierce rivals, Redknapp declined to reassure the Fratton Park faithful.

Sportinglife

TRD

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Southampton have appointed former Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp as their new manager.

Redknapp quit Portsmouth just over two weeks ago claiming he needed a break from the game, but he has made a sensational return to management with their South Coast rivals

Redknapp replaces Steve Wigley, who has been relieved of his duties after failing to steer Southampton clear of trouble at the wrong end of the table.

The news will come as a major surprise to Portsmouth fans as Redknapp had revealed he would not join their old rivals when he left Fratton Park.

Redknapp becomes Southampton's third new manager of a troubled season after Paul Sturrock and Wigley.

The former West Ham boss will be given the job of guiding Southampton out of the relegation zone with The Saints only picking up two wins from 16 games this term.

Redknapp will take charge of Southampton for the first time this weekend when they host Middlesbrough at St Mary's and revealed he was delighted to be given the opportunity to take charge at Southampton.

Skysports

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
thats what i call a long break lol. he timed it all wrong though, you want christmas off hehe.

but what a return, i dont really know how close they are but southampton and portsmouth are like neighbours, a derby match yer? i bet he will get stick when the teams play. but its a brave decision and i think he will haul southampton back up

TRD

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Oh man is he going to get stick for going to the Saints..

There is a big rivalry and the fans will get on his back for sure. I wouldnt like to be in his shoes when they play Pompey lol!

Well i guess he will do a good job as he is used to running a side on a budget. Although he does seem to make alot of duff signings..

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Well i aint upset he has joined Saints what annoys me to the core is that the Pompey Chairman and Directors prefer to have a war of words and want to start another war, WHY DONT THEY JUST FORGET ABOUT IT AND CONCENTRATE ON FINING US A NEW MANAGER

Oh yeah and to all the Pompey fans who feel "betrayed"
what a load of old cobblers he has 15 games to save Southampton from the drop, they have a crap team i mean their poistion speaks volumes Beattie is injured Phillips isnt scoring much Crouch well ...............nuff said look at us we have 3 strikers injured and we have won 2 games outta 2.

WHO NEEDS HARRY?

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   
1 other thing dont Southampton have Director of Football??

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
do you think part of this move to rivals southampton is to get back at the chairman and director at portsmouth?

TRD

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Looks like Harry has took Jim Smith with him and has already laid down the law to Lowe not to interfere..LOL!

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
has jim smith been with harry at alot of clubs? i thought jim smith was at derby or was that 4 or 5 years ago lol

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by rynaldo82
has jim smith been with harry at alot of clubs? i thought jim smith was at derby or was that 4 or 5 years ago lol

Nah just Pompey, they are good friends though.

Smith was manager of Derby a while back and good manager he was.

top topics

join