It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing: Tyson to make a comeback... Again!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Terminator
He should of retired a wealthy man but instead he had to carry on and lose that little bit of respect he still had left.

It seems his back was against the wall. He had to "sell" that respect for a few small purses but he really needed the money, it's the only way he knows how to make it. It's too bad that alot will remember him for his last few embarrasing fights but he indeed was one heck of a fighter in his heyday. I dont think he's been the same since that prison sentence. Hopefully we've seen the last of Mike.

Boxing needs some stars right now, it has become rather dull if you ask me. I remember the anticipation of some of the big heavyweight bouts in the 90's, there really isnt anyone in boxing that I look forward to see fighting anymore. What is the reason for boxing's apparent slide?

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
i wonder whats going to happen to him now, the guy is broke and its hard to imagine him doing a job like the majority of us will do, wether it be in a office or factory, stuff like that.

i agree with you PA, i can remember there used to be a big fight every saturday night. And it was attracting really good audiences. Then suddenly, all those guys seem to have vanished or got to old. And the big fights just dont happen as often anymore either.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
expect mike to be selling pieces of toast with his likeness burned into them on ebay for the money to pay off the irs...you are right, he should have retired wealthy but he blew unimaginable sums of money on his lifestyle....he should be held up as an example of what not to do for young atheletes

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by rynaldo82
i wonder whats going to happen to him now, the guy is broke and its hard to imagine him doing a job like the majority of us will do, wether it be in a office or factory, stuff like that.

"Iron Mike's house of ear decorations"?

technical consultant for "Reservoir Dogs 2"?

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
One of the ESPN commentators last night suggested maybe he could look into becoming a trainer for some young fighter. He has learned from some of the best and has alot of boxing knowledge, it's a possibility for him. Might be tough to get an office job with a tattoo on your face.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I've got another idea...

Repeat after me Mike - "Would you like fries with that?"

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   
He was winning this fight as well, it's a shame because none of these guys would have even got close to him in his prime.

Tyson Grill? I don't know what he will do but he shouldn't fight anymore. He has said this himself, he only took the fight for the money and has not got the heart to step in the ring anymore.

McBride and Williams should stop trash talking because the old Tyson would have destroyed both of them together in under one round and this win means nothing. They are both bums.

I'd like to see Tyson as trainning kids, he has such an understanding of boxing and really knows his history. I think it would keep him sane as well to still be involved with it.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   
is mike someone you would want training kids??? he is not my idea of a role model, i don't think that there is anyplace in the sports world for someone who would resort to biting a mans ear off or trying to break arms in the ring, he is not someone i would want around my child

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
He now knows humilty, he is caring, gracious and forgiving, boxing keeps him alive and I think he would want to pass on his knowledge and help kids the way Cus tried to do for him growing up.

TRD

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
The slide in boxing PA?

Well its hard to tell, i wouldn't say its for the whole of boxing as some of the other weight classes have alot of good fighters. The lightweight scene for one has not just a few it has loads of fighters capable of holding world titles. It just seems to be the heavyweight scene, i guess we was spoiled for along time with alot of great fighters, but nowadays there is a distinct lack of talent in the weight class. I guess every sport has its blips, downsides and the Heavyweight scene is having theirs right now.

As for Tyson being a trainer, i think that would be a way to give something back to the sport and make up for alot of the crappy things he has done in the past. You can't blame the man, you have to blame the people around him. Don King, Robin Givens and the whole circus that jumped on the bandwagon when the going was good and fleeced him for as much as they could. It left him a broken man and if training youngsters in the art of boxing gives him some respect back and pride in himself then i say go for it.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Well said about Tyson.

As for boxing being in a slide, the lower weight division are thriving, it's the heavy's where the talent is lacking like TRD said. We have had some poor champs, in fact we have poor champs now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join