It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing: Calzaghe, Khan to top Pro-Am bill

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Joe Calzaghe and Amir Khan are set to join forces to headline an historic bill in Manchester on February 11. Calzaghe's next defence of his WBO super-middleweight title will take place at the city's MEN Arena against an opponent yet to be named. And Khan is expected to feature as part of an England amateur team on a glittering pro-am undercard.

Negotiations are ongoing over the exact line-up of the amateur team and opponents, and will be finalised in the new year. Earlier this month Warren revealed details of his revolutionary agreement with the Amateur Boxing Association to showcase fighters from both codes on his shows. Calzaghe is chasing a showdown with world light-heavyweight champion Glen Johnson and is out to impress after October's gruelling battle with Kabary Salem.

Calzaghe said: "I'm delighted to be getting back into the ring to start 2005 afresh and my ambitions remain the same - I want to be a two-time world champion.

"Watching Johnson put up a terrific performance in beating Antonio Tarver to claim the number one spot has really fired me up to get a fight against him this year."

Calzaghe had been due to meet Johnson this summer but was forced to withdraw with a back injury.

He added: "Johnson has certainly got more credibility now than earlier in the year when I was due to face him because he has gone on to knock out Roy Jones and beat Tarver."

Sportinglife

new topics

join