It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing: Brewster out to prove he's no "one hit wonder"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Several months ago Lamon Brewster, who faces Kali Meehan this Saturday night at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas on Showtime, stopped Wladimir Klitschko to capture the WBO heavyweight title. A couple of weeks ago at his media day at the Broadway Gym near Watts, manager Sam Simon would present Brewster with another trinket to go along with his championship belt.

As Simon addressed the gathered media and well-wishers, he pulled out of his pocket a sparkling gold ring -- which had plenty of bling to it -- not to propose, but to honor his fighter's achievement.

"That's truly the icing on the cake for me because now, I mean, man, I feel official," said a gratified Brewster of his newest jewelry. "A lot of people can have a belt made, but man, that ring, wow."

Simon, who is the Executive Producer of "The Simpsons" in his real life, came up with the idea.

"The ring is traditional in sports," says Simon, who considers Brewster a part of his family. "They don't do it as much in boxing but mainly you look for ways to commemorate these special things that happen in life and the ring seemed like a good idea. It's big and heavy, and I'm hoping Lamon can wear it under his glove for the next fight."

CLICK HERE FOR FULL STORY

new topics

join