It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The devolution of rap music

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I really like some rap, but there is so much of the same in rap, so many one hit wonders that all sound the same. Almost all pop music is terrible.

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 01:06 AM
link   
The problem is that there are the true innovators, those who really are talented and creative.

Once they have blazed a new way, there follow the second stringers and those who want to exploit it for money.

...and slowly it looses that which made it unique as the drive for money takes the music mainstream.

happened to punk as well...

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I sometimes listen to old skool rap like NWA,TooShort,Tupac(early #)

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by mig12

Isn't Tupac dead? I never really followed that, it was before my time.

Yeah he's dead. But the biography movie "Tupac Resurrection" has a soundtrack in which all songs are from him and there are four new (never released) songs.

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 11:51 AM
link   
He was also know as Machiavelli( think thats the spelling)

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I think Grandmaster Flash was the first rap artist...
He had some good stuff..

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Rapper murders federal prosecutor?

www.foxnews.com...

BALTIMORE � The body of a federal prosecutor who was trying a Baltimore rapper was found Thursday morning in a ditch in Lancaster County, Pa., and authorities believe he was murdered, law enforcement officials told Fox News.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Jonathan P. Luna (search) failed to show up for the fourth day of a trial of rap singer Deon Lionnel Smith (search) on a drug conspiracy charge, an FBI (search) spokesman said.

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Tupac was the only Good rapper out thier.

Notorious was not bad.

P-DIDDY is just a poser and a half.

"TUPAC"

Deep

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 07:14 PM
link   
The Sugarhill Gang. Now thats some tight #. *I said a hip hop a hiphopahippyhophiphop ya don't stop*

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Tupac had the emotion and voice, but so far as skill he was kinda lacking. I hate to diss him though cause I truly love him. It's just most folk only know mainstream and they give Pac all these props but if they heard Black Thought or The Gift of Gab they would be like Pac who. These guys as well as others would blow Pac away when it comes to out right flow and lyrical content. kinda what we are seeing now in hiphop is Pac's bad qualities turned up 10 notches. He did his "I'll kill u" tracks but they were always followed them up with his more socially conscious tracks.

It's kinda like what NetChicken was saying--Pac came in talking about making money, then folk followed him totally exploiting the idea...he's kinda the father of the bling, bling era even though he would have hated it.

Before anyone disses all of hiphop they should be aware that there is some really dope # out there. Yes, there is some rappy crappy out there too. But, it's like that with anything.

Mig12: Hey Ya isn't hiphop. I can't call any of the Love Below (Andre 3000's cd) actual hiphop. He does some singy type #...and he's weird we all get that, but where is the flow. I mean, if I want r&b I wouldn't buy Kast for that. They lost a lot of fans with this recent drop...even though they gained some on the mainstream side. Their fan base is really upset. A lot of folk didn't buy the new Kast because the first single was Hey Ya.

[Edited on 4-12-2003 by Saphronia]

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795

Originally posted by maynardsthirdeye

Luckily, some kids aren't getting into rap. I see some kids with AC/DC and The Doors shirts so I know that some are listening to real music.

O.k. time to butt in now. Respect the other's choice of music. I do, even though I think AC/DC and the Doors etc.. etc.. is crap. There is enough good hip hop out there. West Side Connection & Tupac have new cd's out a.o..

Real music is in the eye of the beholder.

I'll give you that. Tupac is okay. But people like Eminem and 50 Cent?

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mig12
The Sugarhill Gang. Now thats some tight #. *I said a hip hop a hiphopahippyhophiphop ya don't stop*

Didn't they sing that one song?

"Tonto, jump on it, jump on it"

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The Sugarhill Gang ...Wonder Mike,Big Bank Hank and Master Gee..One of my favourites.!
Rapper's Delight The creation of this Hip-Hop track, by these three young men representing New York and New Jersey, probably did more for Hip-Hop than any single, before or after. "Rapper's Delight" had blown-up worldwide, becoming the first internationally recognized Hip-Hop hit. It was the first to hip-hop track to break the Top 40. None had ever even cracked the Top 100 before!The record sold 2 million copies in America and another 8 million copies worldwide!

Other hits..

Hot Hot Summer Day - Sugarhill Gang
8th Wonder - Sugarhill Gang
Showdown - The Furious Five Meets The SugarhillGang
Apache - Sugarhill Gang
The Lover In You - Sugarhill Gang
The Word Is Out - Sugarhill Gang
Kick It Live From 9 To 5 - Sugarhill Gang
Livin' In The Fast Lane - Sugarhill Gang
Girls - Sugarhill Gang
Work, Work, The Body - Big Bank Hank, Kory-O, Wonder Mike

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 02:03 PM
link   
SEAN PAUL,EMINEM,50 CENT, JAYZ, NATE, JA RULE, BUSTA RHYMES, DIDDY, and...dare i say, b2k??

have blasted our generation with the wrong image, take a look at our girls, take that picture, save it...and compare, in a decade's time to the new generation

they've officially made their riches on our generation's ruin.. we are destined to give the police grief, whether we like it or not.
RAP has obliterated any peace in our minds,
this will prove an unsurpassable motivator for the parents, as more kids get sent on probation/ get records.

it'll increase crime...no doubt

rounding matters up? i would say, most of this generation's offspring are spiralling towards a well and officially royally #ED finale:bnghd:
sorry to be so explicit on the matter, it just aggrevates me..
*unpauses his favorite donald duck tape*

Cyrus

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Some would say Britney and Christina did that. Maybe it's american pop-culture that's the poison. Because hiphop wasn't always like this before it went pop. Once hiphop went pop it turned into this sex-driven industry. I don't think you can lay all of this at hiphop's door step. Movies and television, basically anything influenced by pop-culture and marketing in america because sex-driven. The folk you named are all pop icons more so than hiphop. And Sean Paul is dancehall not hiphop--you see how the line blurs...nobody even knows where hiphop ends and pop begins...

Except me...of course.

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 05:33 PM
link   
rap sucks in every shape and form. its just copying off one another. it all sounds the same.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Resourecktion.....yah boyyyyyiieieee.

How about now? Rap to me has gone mad.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join