It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The devolution of rap music

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Speaking of corrupting music... I have been watching our "music only" channel recently, and am amazed at the thematic monotony of black rap music.

90% of all clips look like they are made by the same people, and include ...

Half naked women trying to get it off on stage, most seemingly hired from the local knocking shop...

Singers who look like they would mug you as soon as look at you and are draped in said women..

Guys fixated on jewelry / rings / cars / guns etc as if they are things people actually aspire to.

(some of these "macho" guys in their outfits look just like kids, and soft ones at that...)

The female rap artists are worse!!
The main criteria for being a female rap artist is...
1 Able to wear as little clothes as possible in public.
2 vibrate your lips going waa waa waa waa monotonously
3 Have some incredably ugly guys to hang around.
4 Oh, yeah, sing, sort of, but that doesn't matter as the songs are all the same and they can just dub your voices over the top.

I would imagine that these could screw up kids if any were stupid enough to actually believe these characatures of humanity are actually real....

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I stopped listening to popular rap a long time ago. I listen to accuradio.com to get my latest hip hop from the underground.

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Im listening to the new G-Unit CD and they arent so fixated on guns on this CD. But nuttin can beat the old Tupac. That was just the best rapper ever. And all the chick rappers suck. Missy Elliot used to be good but now she sucks.

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I actualy saw a "missy elliot" vid. It was one of the few I actually liked! (I never knew she existed before) It was someone with that rare abiltiy - talent.

It had some asian thing in the music that made it interesting and creative and not just another clone like the rest.

For a change there was an absence of guns and semi nudes and the people could actually DANCE!

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Formula for modern rap video...

1. stage with lots of lights (rapper name in lights optional) and looking like something off Buck Rogers...

2. lots of half-naked women with big boobs and butts (the only factor of the videos I like, hehe...) but, you can only show quick little glimpses of them (boo
) so as not to upstage the rapper... This can be alternated with more dudes, if the rapper is female...

3. lots and lots of bling bling jewely (again, name on jewelry is optional)

4. expensive cars, homes, and/or boats

5. rapper should look dangerous and thuglike, but also designer label...if female then just as skanky as the dancers, but shinier....

6. formula song, usually proclaiming the rapper's greatness...and decrying the rapper's "enemies"

7. numerous references (or even showing) the album/record label

8. increasingly lame ability at rapping...not even bothering to rhyme or follow the rythm anymore....

9. more drug and crime references and glorification....

10. increasing degradation of women and black culture....

[Edited on 2-12-2003 by Gazrok]

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 09:16 PM
link   
And to think this is what a whole generation is growing up on.

It'll be interesting to see how they turn out when they enter the real world and realise not everybody can get a job in the rap music industry.

But then again prison seems to help propel alot of these rap stars to stardom.

[Edited on 2-12-2003 by StationsCreation]

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Hey we grew up on punk music, new wave, and disco

Look how antisocial and screwed up we all became....

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Im growing up right now on rap. Theres nuttin wrong with me. DIE MUTHA #ER *BANG* *BANG*
Im not affected by the music I listen to. Kids my age just need to learn that its music. You dont have to live by it.

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
DIE MUTHA #ER *BANG* *BANG*
Im not affected by the music I listen to.

That's good to hear, I can see it hasn't affected your vocabulary either.

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Like Colonel I get most of my music from the underground. Hiphop is still dope. The stuff on tv and radio I wouldn't call it hiphop. I'd call it rap music or hip-pop. Either way, I agree wit yall on this one though it's killing me that non-fans can diss and i can't even respond because they are so right.

I think there is light at the end of the tunnel though. The new Tribe Called Quest is dropping soon and Kanye West is on Rockafella. Nas dropped his gangsta act, Jay Z, DMX, JaRule are all promising to retire...maybe we're seeing a revolution in mainstream rap. prolly not but we have to be positive.

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 10:29 PM
link   
The last albume I bought was Return of the DJ, Vol IV. Now, THAT to me is hip hop, not whatever is on MTV2.

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I think with JayZ,DMX,JaRule and Nas giving up rapping we will see the end of rap soon. I hate to say it but soon rap may be the :cringe: Oldies.

[Edited on 2-12-2003 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Colonel: don't be so hard on Mtv2 at least they are willing to play some middle ground catz like Common and Talib. BET doesn't even play 'em or interview 'em.

Last cd I bought was Outkast...i wasn't really feeling Andre's cd but Big Boi's is hot. I'm bumping it right now as a matter of fact. You should cop that, everyone should cop that.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
Speaking of corrupting music... I have been watching our "music only" channel recently, and am amazed at the thematic monotony of black rap music.

90% of all clips look like they are made by the same people, and include ...

Half naked women trying to get it off on stage, most seemingly hired from the local knocking shop...

Singers who look like they would mug you as soon as look at you and are draped in said women..

Guys fixated on jewelry / rings / cars / guns etc as if they are things people actually aspire to.

(some of these "macho" guys in their outfits look just like kids, and soft ones at that...)

The female rap artists are worse!!
The main criteria for being a female rap artist is...
1 Able to wear as little clothes as possible in public.
2 vibrate your lips going waa waa waa waa monotonously
3 Have some incredably ugly guys to hang around.
4 Oh, yeah, sing, sort of, but that doesn't matter as the songs are all the same and they can just dub your voices over the top.

I would imagine that these could screw up kids if any were stupid enough to actually believe these characatures of humanity are actually real....

And it has spawned a terrible epidemic. White kids trying to get into the inner-city black culture. I live in the middle of Pennsylvania. It isn't the inner city. It amazes me that kids can listen to this so called music. I was only one of two kids in my class that hated rap.

Luckily, some kids aren't getting into rap. I see some kids with AC/DC and The Doors shirts so I know that some are listening to real music.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by maynardsthirdeye

Luckily, some kids aren't getting into rap. I see some kids with AC/DC and The Doors shirts so I know that some are listening to real music.

O.k. time to butt in now. Respect the other's choice of music. I do, even though I think AC/DC and the Doors etc.. etc.. is crap. There is enough good hip hop out there. West Side Connection & Tupac have new cd's out a.o..

Real music is in the eye of the beholder.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saphronia
Last cd I bought was Outkast...i wasn't really feeling Andre's cd but Big Boi's is hot. I'm bumping it right now as a matter of fact. You should cop that, everyone should cop that.

Are you talking about the new OutKast cd? You gotta be feelin Andre. *HEEYYYY YAA!!*

I gave up on rap a long time ago. I always hated rap (14 yrs old). I hate these guys who degrade women and black culture.

*West Side Connection & Tupac have new cd's out a.o..*

Isn't Tupac dead? I never really followed that, it was before my time.

[Edited on 3-12-2003 by mig12]

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Who really gives a # about what music people listen to. Its just music. Get over it. You people that say rap is affecting out youth are stereotyping. Rap doesnt usually do anything to kids. Believe me. Im a 14 white male. I got alot of black friends that listen to rap but they dont go shooting people and #. Its stupid kids that let the music affect them to the point that they actually act on it. And the Doors and AC/DC have been out for like 10 years. NO kids listen to it.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 10:09 PM
link   
hey Colonel you are right

Black singers are the innovators and white kids have been immitatng them since the 30's..

Jazz, soul, funk, even rock, all has it roots in black creativity...

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Its a conspriracy to make our youth dumber.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Damn, I deleted my post (it came in double so I deleted one and both were gone).

But, yeah, white kids have tried to emulate black music since Elvis. Nothing new.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join