It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Probe Into Beating of Man by Cops Begins

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Banshee in my time at ATS has been a clear voice of reason.

And she can beat up anybody who gets in her way.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I say overt because it's an unknown. I am "pro-cop", since my kid brother/uncle/godfather are all Cops.
A good friend was a cop. I used to shoot the breeze every weekend with the cops posted outside the club I worked at as a bouncer in college.
These are "Peace Officer". That should mean that they contain folks who are using non-leathal means of resistence. that means having "smother techniques" applied. Not "concussive techniques". Repeated blows, and specifically the jab penetrations with full body weight behind them to the victims body cavity, thus injuring internal organs and possibly damaging the heart, are not "peace keeper" moves.
I've always said that cops need more training, particularly fight training. I see no reason a "peace officer" should not be an expert in grappling and joint lock techniques.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I think the lesson is if you are 100kg overweight, have a bad heart, and are on pcp. Don't attack the cops.

The guy died because he was a moron. What the hell other option did the cops have? They didn't get much of a chance to make sure he didnt have any weapons. I don't think hitting him in the shins would of done a hell of a lot of good either.

He might not have deserved to die for being a moron. But thats why he died. Race has nothing to do with it. Even police brutality is kind of iffy. Watch the tape, the fat guy starts it and the cops make pretty clear what they want him to do.

Don't be a hero with a bad ticker big guy.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee

No, Colonel,
he died because he was in poor health, compounded by his (illegal!) drug use.

The more you go on about him being "beaten to death," the less water your arguments hold.

How many black (or white) men (or women) in Cininnati (or any other city) need to know what an ASP feels like before they learn 1) to put their hands behind their back when a police officer tells them to and 2) NOT TO ASSAULT A POLICE OFFICER?

A man breaks into your house, Colonel.
He punches your wife and begins to choke her.
He reaches into his jacket when you tell him to leave.
What do you do?

If someone breaks into my house, in this state I can legally shoot them.
If someone puts their hands on me, I have the right to defend myself.
I have the right to defend myself, my property, and those living with me.
The streets are a cop's home while he's on duty, the general public his family.
Of course, if you don't buy that, be sure to tell the cop who responds to your 911 call you don't want his help if, godforbid, something ever does happen in YOUR house.

And, ya know, I do wonder why there was a riot.
What good does it do to destroy your own neighborhoods? What point does that make, really?

What's the score, Gaz?

-B.

No, Banshee. The guy WASN'T dead BEFORE the cops showed up when the medics and firefighters were there. He was sleeping.

He was DEAD after the cops beat him down. You can't get around that no matter how much you love cops.

The rest of what you have is irrelevant nonsense. What does a burglary have to dso with a man sleeping on the grass in front of White Castle?

No, the streets are NOT the cops property. He didn't pay for it and this isn't a facist society....yet. the public is NOT his family. There is no blood relation. He is just doing a JOB as we all have to do to survive in this world. His JOB to protect the public and keep the peace---not beat people down til they die b/c the perp wouldn't follow instructions.

And I might be safer if I DIDN'T call 9-11. The cops might just end up shooting ME in the back, mistaking ME for being the perp. Don't say it hasn't happened before.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 10:15 AM
link   
What do you propose the cops should have done then after this guy attacked them?

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kano
What do you propose the cops should have done then after this guy attacked them?

Mace, pepper spray. Grappling techniques as BT mentioned..well, anything short of DEATH would have been fine with me.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Let me clarify: I don't have problem with the cops using force, just the excessive part is what gets me. They are doing their job & should be afford every benefit of the doubt. But having said that, after review of the tape, they did not apply restraint. A group of cops, and there was a group if the tape was in real time( within 2 minutes of the start), can and should keep it calm. If they are not the professionals in controlling that sort of situation, who is!?!?
regardless of the man's size, a knee on his head - a set of knees on each arm - and a set of knee on his nutz, and that man is going nowhere, regardless of how dusted he was. And that's with just the four cops in the video's first two minutes, we don't know how many additional showed up.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 02:35 PM
link   
CINCINNATI, Ohio (CNN) -- The Hamilton County coroner Wednesday said the violent struggle over the weekend between 350-pound Nathaniel Jones and Cincinnati police officers was the immediate cause of the man's death and said his death will be ruled a homicide.

www.cnn.com...

So, now all you people can stop with whining and moaning. as I said before, these cops KILLED this guy as has happened again and again and again and again and again.

I don't want to hear anything about Banshee. Checkmate to the Colonel.

[Edited on 3-12-2003 by Colonel]

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Ya'll feeling kinda stupid now, aren't ya.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 03:05 PM
link   
But that still doesn't make it a racial thing

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I'm sorry, Venus. I wouldn't want it to be a race thing either but, there is 97 seconds missing from the video BEFORE the beatings started. What was on those 97 seconds?

Plus, they found the guy laughing and dancing BEFORE the cops showed up, which is on video on CNN.

Coupled with the fact that police have a tendency to shoot blacks in Cincinnati,...

I'm thinking it was a racial thing.

[Edited on 3-12-2003 by Colonel]

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 03:18 PM
link   
97-second gap raises concerns
Lawson: Tape may have been erased
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Barry M. Horstman and Kimball Perry
Post staff reporters

For all the drama in the six-minute videotape showing Nathanial Jones's fatal encounter with Cincinnati police early Sunday -- Jones's lunge and punches at police, officers' repeated blows with their nightsticks, the distressing instant when cops realize Jones is not breathing -- the most crucial moments may be the 97 seconds when nothing can be seen.

www.cincypost.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I thought I saw on my local news this morning (Louisville, KY just down river to Cinci) that one of the cops suspended was black. If that is true would that not negate the race card to some extent?

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by observer
I thought I saw on my local news this morning (Louisville, KY just down river to Cinci) that one of the cops suspended was black. If that is true would that not negate the race card to some extent?

No. The blacks cops are even worse b/c they try out do the other officers to "fit in."

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel

No. The blacks cops are even worse b/c they try out do the other officers to "fit in."

Oh come on! Like Jewish Nazi's or some such nonsense. I have to disagree with this.

Side note: Having some family that live in Cinci I will say that the racial tension up there is thicker than snot and the hate flows both ways. Cinci used to be the home of that great avatar of mine

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Oh come on! Like Jewish Nazi's or some such nonsense. I have to disagree with this.

Side note: Having some family that live in Cinci I will say that the racial tension up there is thicker than snot and the hate flows both ways. Cinci used to be the home of that great avatar of mine

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Sorry about MY town?! Louisville is awesome... ya wierdo!

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Kentucky? That's just as bad as Cincinnati!:shk:

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel

Kentucky? That's just as bad as Cincinnati!:shk:

For the record, we Louisvillians don't really claim the rest of the state and the rest of the state does not really claim us. If all you saw was the airport then you can't judge... oh wait... yes you can because you have such lawyerly deductive reasoning skills as to to understand the essence of anything from a mere speck of substance.

At least when I am walking down the street I don't have to duck and cover when someone tried to look me in the eyes.. we actually say "hello" and "have a nice day" to each other.... and really mean it.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Look, you Kentuckians or Louisvillians or whatever you call yourselves aren't even for real. It's not a real city, Observer! Hell, you don't even have a football team! You have to borrow someone else's.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join