It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing: Should Boxing be banned?

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
In this century, 1000 boxers have died in the ring or shortly afterwards, the youngest recorded victim was just 12 years old. Thousands more have suffered permanent disfigurement, detached retinas and a whole host of other neurological complaints. Despite a tightening of safety regulations, these injuries have continued. Yet enthusiasm for boxing is at an all time high; television audiences are up and record numbers of youngsters across the world are joining boxing clubs. The British Medical Association has repeatedly called for a ban on boxing or a removal of the head from the permitted target areas. A body of medical evidence is building up to suggest that even if a boxer survives individual bouts relatively unmarked, the cumulative effect of a career in boxing can lead to a greater susceptibility to diseases such as Parkinson's. Although the incidence of injury is much higher in sports such as basketball, rugby or riding, the risk of serious injury in boxing is far greater. In fact, that risk is so great there is reason for Boxing to be banned. A ban, quite simply, would mean fewer people dead, injured or permanently brain damaged.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
boxing should not be banned. in professional boxing the boxers know the risks that go along with getting hit in the head by someone that could break down a door with their fists. that's why not everyone does it. it's a choice made (either foolishly or not) by the individual, they are not forced to do it and thus they take their lives in their own hands, which i have no problem with, and they get paid well for their risks(at least in the heavy weight division). let them fight.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Oh HEEEEELLLLLLLLL NO!

Every fighter who puts on the gloves knows its a dangerous sport and accept the consequences.

People make it sound like boxing is the most dangerous sport there is. Hell I think American Football (NFL) is way more dangerous than boxing is.

Boxers know the consequences of their sport. It's their CHOICE.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
And further more!!

BOXING is the most Exciting Sport on the PLANET!!

That is all.

Carry on.

Ben

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
dont you risk something in every sport

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I don't agree that boxing is the most exciting sport on the planet (in fact id rate most fights among the lower tier of exciting-ness, note I said most fights
) but yeah these guys go out there and know that they face consequences for having a career where you get punched in the face.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   
C'mon now, you can't start with boxing, what about K-1, ultimate fighting, and synchronized swimming? they are all more dangerous!

TRD

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Unlike any other sport, it is the intention of boxers to physically injure their opponents by knockout or by exploiting cuts around the eyes. At the very least professional boxers should be forced to wear head guards, rounds should be shortened. I'm not saying that i agree with this but it does make sense. On the other hand every attempt is made to ensure that the risk of injury to boxers is minimised: thorough medical checks are undertaken; doctors and anaesthetic equipment have to be present at ringside; referees intervene to stop fights and gloves have been made heavier to slow hand speeds.

Ben

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
what about the fights in hockey? they are actually using their fists instead of gloves

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Hockey is a whole other issue. Fighting is condoned, but rabid hockey fans act like it's the only sport that has fights in it. All of the major sports have fights, but, in th eother sports, if you fight, you are penalized, not just put in a glass box for a couple minutes before they let you back out to fight again...

top topics

join