It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing: Lewis return on the Cards?

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Lennox Lewis is looking increasingly likely to accept the final challenge of a world heavyweight title re-match against Ukrainian Vitali Klitschko.

Lewis has been contemplating retirement ever since his controversial cuts win over Klitschko in June, with his mother Violet sensibly urging him to get out at the top.

But Lewis' trainer Emmanuel Steward believes the champion's resistance is crumbling and that, having come under increasing pressure from the WBC to fulfil his obligations, the Briton will shortly announce his return.

In the queue to fight Lewis aswell is Touted American heavyweight hope "Baby" Joe Mesi,he has issued a challenge to WBC heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis.

Undefeated contender Mesi, (28-0, 25 KO's), used a news conference on Wednesday to issue a challenge to the Briton

What you need to remember is that Mesi is currently ranked as the number 4 contender to Lewis behind Vitali Klitshko, Corey Sanders and David Tua.

Sanders or Tua have NOT ! boxed at all since last March (and show little sign of doing so in the immediate future), Mesi may be closer than several people think to challenging Lewis on his return..

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Lewis needs to get off this lazy a$$ and stop holding the Heavyweight division hostage and decide what he's going to do. If he wants to fight then fight. If not then retire so a new Heavyweight Champion of the World can be crowned. Im sick of all this waiting around bull$hit.

[Edited on 14-1-2004 by Ocelot]

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
He clearly is being very lazy like you said and he is clearly holding the belt hostage and not letting anybody take that belt from him. Looks to me like he is kindof scared.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Yes he needs to decide,i think he should fight he has left some unanswered questions in the fact that can he beat Klitschko again.

TRD

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Well Lennox Lewis is looking increasingly likely to accept the final challenge of a world heavyweight title re-match against Ukrainian Vitali Klitschko,but when he will make a decision is anyones guess...

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Looks like he is going to reitre after all, he is expected to be done on friday

Ben

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
is he going to stay reitred?

TRD

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   
It looks that way i guess we will find out for sure in the next day or so.

Ben

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
i cant believe he is retiriing though, he is very young. Why though why

TRD

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
i cant believe he is retiriing though, he is very young. Why though why

He is old for a boxer 38 i think,i suppose he wants to quit champion.I would have thought he would have beat Klitschko again but i guess we would never know.

Ben

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   
well 38 isnt that old, and plus with all the competition that is coming in to the Boxing league, how could he retire?

Sir

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
38 is pretty old for a boxer,don't forget they have been smacked all around the ring all their lives.He is getting slower aswell and the training for a fight is getting harder and harder.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   
So, who will take the Heavyweight title? Its vacant!

TRD

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by C-Diesel
So, who will take the Heavyweight title? Its vacant!

Well no one can just take it..

Thing is Lewis will become only the third heavyweight to quit with his title belt intact after Rocky Marciano and Gene Tunney.

The heavyweight division is now in a bit of chaos,Roy Jones holds the WBA version and is set to hand the belt back to John Ruiz because he has more lucrative options at light-heavyweight.

The IBF version is held by Chris Byrd.

So for the vacant WBC belt it will be Klitschko v Corey Sanders.

new topics

top topics

join